Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Turbo Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
What does the IA SC setup cost vs a custom turbo? If you can only have 60, seems like an off the shelf kit would be simpler and less expensive.

Now a built boxster motor running 15 psi would be interesting....

I actually saw a 160 rwhp increase between the SC and intake/exhaust mods on my 3.6 liter. With room to go as I am currently running very very rich at this point.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM
blinkwatt is infamous around these parts
Hey Gary any update on what Turbowerx said about removing the plate to place an intercooler there.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Hey Gary any update on what Turbowerx said about removing the plate to place an intercooler there.

I'm a bad guy, I forgot all about it. I will find out for everyone.
Marcs usually pretty quick on the replies so I should know something today.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 PM
djomlas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Seems like a very complex/expensive setup for 60-75hp. Is it possible to safely turn up the boost? What was the cost to do this? It seems well executed though. Why the custom turbo over the supercharger kits that are available?
he already had a supercharger hehe

nice job ho man, that looks nice.

hopefully we get the numbers soon

Old 10-30-2007, 01:17 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djomlas
he already had a supercharger hehe

nice job ho man, that looks nice.

hopefully we get the numbers soon
Why did he switch from the supercharger to the turbos?

Also, how does that air to air intercooler work under there? Doesn't seem like it would get any flow "through" it mounted horizontally underneath the car.

What about a liquid to air intercooler with the radiator up front ala EVO style.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:34 PM
The IA kit and the TurboWerk kit are both off the shelf kits. And priced about the same.

I attached my dynos. With the OEM 2.5 and the SC then finally with the turbos.

I had the IA kit for a few months and took it off just because the power that the kit had on their test cars just did not show on my car.

I dont want anyone to think I am bashing IA I visited their shop and they have a good operation it just was not for me.

As far as the flow goes...you would think that having the intercooler up front would be better but I would think a pipe ran from the front of the car to the middle would hurt the performance more than help it. From my dealings with turbowerx I believe they tested the setup pretty extensively.

I think I answered all of the questions, If I miss something just ask again and I will do my best to answer it.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 PM
An answer from Marc on the plate and intercooler:

"That plate has no measurable effect on the alignment. It's more of a
guard than anything structural.

The intercooler works well since the air pressure in the engine compartment is lower than the air pressure underneath. We experimented with adding ducting, etc, but found the system works fine as-is without any further help."

Old 10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks for finding that out Gary,I was wondering about the plate. Since the plate isn't used any more are the two aluminum bar that attach to it necessary?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Kirk is infamous around these partsKirk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
An answer from Marc on the plate and intercooler:

"That plate has no measurable effect on the alignment. It's more of a
guard than anything structural.

The intercooler works well since the air pressure in the engine compartment is lower than the air pressure underneath. We experimented with adding ducting, etc, but found the system works fine as-is without any further help."
I don't know that I would agree with that comment about the plate. There's a simple fix though - the lower stress bar. Details are on renntech.org. I wouldn't remove the plate personally, but if you are going to run that route (which you need to for the IC install), then at least add the lower stress bar (or 3 bars like I did).

As for the IC location. I don't really see how you'll get appreciable flow through there with the transmission right above it. There's no question that the mounting location is less than ideal. HOWEVER, you are very limited with options here, so I imagine the folks who designed this did the best they could and it's still better than nothing. But if it were me (which it's not though) I'd give up my rear trunk space and mount the IC there with some vents on the trunk lid to actually direct air through the IC fins for better cooling.

Not trying to be judgemental, just giving some input. Nice work overall!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Kirk
I don't know that I would agree with that comment about the plate. There's a simple fix though - the lower stress bar. Details are on renntech.org. I wouldn't remove the plate personally, but if you are going to run that route (which you need to for the IC install), then at least add the lower stress bar (or 3 bars like I did).

As for the IC location. I don't really see how you'll get appreciable flow through there with the transmission right above it. There's no question that the mounting location is less than ideal. HOWEVER, you are very limited with options here, so I imagine the folks who designed this did the best they could and it's still better than nothing. But if it were me (which it's not though) I'd give up my rear trunk space and mount the IC there with some vents on the trunk lid to actually direct air through the IC fins for better cooling.

Not trying to be judgemental, just giving some input. Nice work overall!!!
Do you mind posting the link from Renntech?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 AM
3.6L Boxster is infamous around these parts3.6L Boxster is infamous around these parts
I have to agree with Kirk on this, that plate is not a belly pan protecting the underside, it is an integral part of the rear suspension. The factory service manual even warns against removing that plate without the car being raised in a level position otherwise changes in suspension geometry will occur. While being a thin aluminum sheet, it seems to play a key role in maintaining the geometry of the rear uprights.

Todd

Old 11-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Kirk is infamous around these partsKirk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Do you mind posting the link from Renntech?
Sure! There's a reason why you can't find it at Renntech... because I'm an idiot and the actual post is over at 986 Forum here:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10817

Sorry about that!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Kirk
Sure! There's a reason why you can't find it at Renntech... because I'm an idiot and the actual post is over at 986 Forum here:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10817

Sorry about that!
Oh o.k. makes sense now.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Gary this is for you pulled from the Boxster Bentley Manual page 02-14;

The rear suspension is fitted with a large bolt-on aluminum chassis reinforcement plate which is a structural component of the rear suspension.

CAUTION-

• Do not alter the chassis reinforcement plate in any way.
  • Do not drive the car with the chassis reinforcement plate removed.
The plate that they refer to is the one that was removed from your car.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 AM
rafiki1987 is infamous around these parts
interesting

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Boxster