Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Harness in 02 Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 PM
otherhwhitemeat is infamous around these parts
Racing Harness in 02 Boxster

Have a friend an 02 Boxster with factory GT3 seats installed. He was looking to swap out the belts for a set of Schroth belts. Dont really care if they were 3/4 or 6 point, but I dont see anywhere practical to mount the shoulder straps. Was considering welding a cross bar on the rear roll bar hoop behind the drivers seat, but other then that- due to the severe lack of interior space and inhability to mount the shoulder straps any further behind the driver side seat (since thats where the cab top folds up) I have no idea where to start. I wanted to know if anyone has mounted a set of racing belts in a boxster. If so how and have you got pics.
Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated

Old 11-08-2007, 04:51 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
hilar ious

Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Bruinbro is a jewel in the roughBruinbro is a jewel in the roughBruinbro is a jewel in the rough
Don't know what the hilarity is about, but you should get 5, 6 or 7 point harnesses. The shoulder belts should be mounted such that the belt is either horizontal or at most 20 degrees down. Download this http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf

Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing competition belts on a Boxster without a cage. I'll ask around to see how the shoulder belts are mounted. The lap belts and sub belts should be mounted to the sidewalls and floor respectively. Do some research on PPBB and Rennlist for additional discussions on this topic.

Bro

Old 11-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Bruinbro, thanks for the link, I guess thats the underlying problem- without a cage there is no where to mount the shoulder belts. Looks like he's S.O.L but seen a lot of crazy stuff come across these boards- so thought it was worth a shot.

As for the hilarity- it's not my car and told him doing the belts is probably not going to work- but, I just work on 'em and I would make an an attempt to stand on my head an spit nickles for you if you came to me with enough money and said- I dont care what it takes just put the belts in! Some people have more dollars than "cents".

Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Bruinbro is a jewel in the roughBruinbro is a jewel in the roughBruinbro is a jewel in the rough
Buddy of mine over on the BRB posted this pic:

I didn't know if the stock roll bar was at the correct height relative to the seat openings. I took my bar out before I installed the harnesses, so no reference point.

Bro

Last edited by Bruinbro; 11-09-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:43 PM
it's a start, if you or anyone else has any other pics or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
As for the hilarity- it's not my car and told him doing the belts is probably not going to work- but, I just work on 'em and I would make an an attempt to stand on my head an spit nickles for you if you came to me with enough money and said- I dont care what it takes just put the belts in! Some people have more dollars than "cents".
I hear ya... but i am sure you were laughing in your head also when you were approached... but money is good

Old 11-09-2007, 03:10 PM
chuckled to the point I think I peed a little

Old 11-09-2007, 04:07 PM
This is the company that makes all of the mounting hardware you will need.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/index.php

Bro

Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Brey-Krause was one of the first places I looked. They dont make a kit either.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
easyc is infamous around these parts
The stock roll bar is fine.... Ive passed tech with both PCA and NASA with it... I was concerned with this as well when I installed my harnesses, but no where could I find a range for above the shoulders... the BSX spec guys use this mounting point too...

Old 11-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Devin - CT is infamous around these parts
I too have been told (by independant race shops) that the stock roll hoops are an ideal location to mount the harnesses. Just need longer bolts for the floor mounts if the stock seatbelts are to be used in addition to the harness.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
so the shoulder belts are fastened to roll bar upper portion near the hoop (the shoulder belts that wrap- w/o the clips for the eyelets) and the lap belts mount 1- to the lower factory seat belt mount point and the other side lap belt must be mounted to the floor pan near the center tunnel- am I reading this correct? I will not be using the factory belts as well so I am not going to need a longer bolt. just want to be clear. If you could take a pic that would help-

Old 11-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by otherhwhitemeat
the other side lap belt must be mounted to the floor pan near the center tunnel- am I reading this correct?
Nope. The belt needs to be mounted (most likely via an eye bolt) to the tunnel wall, not the floor. You need to make sure you don't drill into stuff that is in the tunnel.

Bro

Old 11-13-2007, 08:32 AM
thank you for your help guys- I will see this is going to be ok and keep you posted on the results.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Racing Harness in 02 Boxster