Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S over the base 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 AM
epb
Awaiting Email Confirmation
epb is infamous around these parts
Cayman S over the base 997?

The stereotype is familiar - that the owner of a Boxster or Cayman bought it because he or she couldn't afford a 911. It's a bunch of bull, of course, but I was curious if anyone actually owned a 997 and switched to a 987. If so, any regrets? Plans to increase the power?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
My family has been Porsche enthusiasts since the 60's. Have had about every iteration of Porsche possible. WIth a little more power, I am just as fond of the Cayman S as our GT3. They are both amazing cars. Wanna get into a 997 GT2 or C-GT...those are just in another league.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Hate the stereotpes such bull is right! After driving both stock car to stock car I think the Cayman S beats the Carrera. Just my .02

Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
I've had that argument for a few months, looks like the 997S will win.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 PM
newtonold is infamous around these parts
i am still in debate with this.... test drove a Cayman S in 2006, had to push it hard for it to feel fast but handled well and was tons of fun! then drove 997S, wow on the power difference. so went with latter, but it definitely is much more $$$. after 2yrs without driving in Asia, maybe i wont notice the big diff. haha thats what i am hoping for, in market for Cayman S now. we'll see if i can be satisfied.

havent driven base 997 extensively, but i think much closer in power with Cayman S. so good topic/debate vs Cayman S. anyone have more thoughts too? love to hear them!

thanks!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
epbrown01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by newtonold
havent driven base 997 extensively, but i think much closer in power with Cayman S. so good topic/debate vs Cayman S. anyone have more thoughts too? love to hear them!
The topic is near and dear to me because my favorite old Porsche is the 944; I think the 944S2 is among the greatest driver's Porsches of all time. But buy one, and the first thing you get it "Couldn't quite swing the 911, eh?" (Of course, I had the singularly unique pleasure of saying "Actually, yes, I do own a 911. And a 928. This one is my favorite, though. ")

This time, I was debating between the 2005 997, the Cayman S for about the same money, and the BMW M Coupe. If I'd been coming from the perspective of single-car ownership, likely I'd have gone with the 997 - it's a great all-rounder (or perhaps a BMW 335i coupe, the 997's more practical reflection in many ways).

Since this was going to be just a fun car, it came down to the Cayman S and the M Coupe. The Cayman was just more fun than the 997 to me.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Axis is infamous around these parts
I have driven both cars and I will definitely pick the base 997 over the Cayman S. Pretty much what newtonold said sums it up.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Both are great choices, test drive both a few times and take your time on deciding.
Both are great in different ways.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:08 AM
mikejohn is infamous around these parts
I recently bought a 2008 Cayman S to replace my 2006 C2S that was involved in a major accident. I definetly like the Caymans balance, agility, and better weighted steering feel. I also prefer the more cocoon like interior of a two seat car. You can argue the looks both ways but the Cayman has some very interesting curves and less overhang. I am sure there are times when the power difference will be noticed but I think the feel of the car is more important to me.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:12 AM
newtonold is infamous around these parts
nice feedback from someone who has had both rides... thx.

i agree, nice curves on Cayman S- - - like the newness of it too.

question, how is the cargo space for the Cayman S? since you mentioned the interior, i am an avid golfer and wanted to know if it can carry my clubs.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:21 AM
mikejohn is infamous around these parts
The cargo space seems practical for a car of this type. I am not a golfer so I can't comment on the clubs. I would take your set to the dealer and check it out. I would suspect at least one set will fit.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:32 AM
CaymanSJF is infamous around these parts

question, how is the cargo space for the Cayman S? since you mentioned the interior, i am an avid golfer and wanted to know if it can carry my clubs.
Test drove a base 997 against the Cayman S and the Cayman won me over. Felt much more responsive all around.

Golf clubs do fit.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:43 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts

Cayman S has a combined total of 14.5 cubic feet of storage. You can EASILY fit 2 golf bags in the rear. All my customers tell me im nuts until they go get there clubs and they fit no problem : )

Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 AM
epbrown01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Axis
I have driven both cars and I will definitely pick the base 997 over the Cayman S. Pretty much what newtonold said sums it up.
Yeah, but he seemed to come down in favor of the Cayman S.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:21 AM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Brought mine couple months ago, test drove a used CarreraS and the Cayman S, the Carrera S is way more powerful, the cayman S feels more balance and like other mentioned the steering feels better. Ended up getting a fully loaded cayman S over a used carrera S. but I do wish the cayman had more power.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman S over the base 997?