Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell me on or steer me from the boxster...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
pcar-yvr is infamous around these parts
Great thread - but would like to hear from some more current Boxster owners based on their own driving experiences.

'01 S = Same price as '03 Base

If you had to do it again, and assuming the same milage / condition of vehicle, would you go for the extra power of the '01-S or the extra feature pack (window/glove box) of the '03.

Thanks guys...(and Boxter Girlie)

Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 PM
calbears92 is infamous around these parts
If you drive the '01 S and '03 base back to back, you will find the power difference is not much. After all, you're looking at 22hp difference at peak power. The base '02 has a little bit more torque, but then a quick downshift eliminates all that.

One month after you buy the base '03, you will forget the power difference. You will get used to the power you have and forget how that extra 22hp feel. However, you will always be reminded of the styling difference and the glass rear window, and the glove box.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 PM
humara is infamous around these parts
the glass window isn't as big of an advantage as people are making it out to be. as long as you don't buy one that is already ratty, you'll be fine. my window is going on 8 years and is fine. and as far as the glove box, if that is really an issue, perhaps the lexus on the lot will interest you.
i drove an 03 base before buying my 00 S. while the hp is similar, the power delivery is quite different.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:35 PM
pcar-yvr is infamous around these parts
Don't understimate a glove box - can hold all the speeding tickets I anticipate getting! :-)

And I'm also thinking the '01 S should have better braking performance to boot....

Old 01-14-2008, 11:24 PM
i tracked my boxster a few times and found the std brakes to be quite sufficient. on the street, the bigger brakes aren't noticeably better.

the knock on the glass window is that it's smaller. My friend's plastic window is in excellent condition, but still not as nice as a glass window.

In the end, what you have here is two opinions: my base '03 vs humara's '01 S. I don't know about Humara, but I certainly feel each buyer have to choose what he/she likes better, and that is the right choice.

We both have our reasons -- you guys decide which route you prefer.

My point simply is: if you like the looks/features of the base '03 and the extra power of the '01 S is the only thing that tempts you, then from my experience, you will soon forget the power difference if you buy the '03 (I did). However, had I bought the '02 S that I was contemplating buying at the time, the looks and the plastic window would have bothered me every time I see the car. If the looks/features do not matter, then go for the power

With my Lotus, I'm all about power, not really caring about amenities / looks.
With the Boxster, I was tempted w/ the extra power, but the looks won me over.

One thing people do not notice is that the '03 and '04 Boxster has a different convertible roof profile.

Last edited by calbears92; 01-14-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:44 PM
In case anyone is interested, I actually know of a '01/'02 (I'm not sure) Boxster S for sale.

It is a beautiful example! One I would not mind having if I have the spare $$$

Speed Yellow
Some engine work done w/ upgraded ECU -- VERY FAST, VERY IMPRESSIVE POWER (sorry, had to go w/ all caps, it's that impressive!)
Upgraded suspension --
Owner went the RS route, taking weight out of the car where possible
GT3 seats
NO convertible top -- taken out due to make it lighter
Kinesis wheels
Lot's of CF
Aggressive exhaust
Don't remember the mileage, but it was low. Less than 20k.

There's a lot of $$$ put into this car, more than 80k, IIRC. I believe the owner was asking mid 30's

Sorry about the hazy details (I can't remember them), but if you are interested in a HARD CORE Boxster, email Jamey Rawlings : porschetunes@aol.com.

This Boxster is not a DD (no convertible top), though I believe the top is still there and can be reinstalled.

Had this car come to the market when I shopped for the Lotus, I probably would have bought this car instead. Yes, you read correctly, I would have given up my '03 for this example.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 AM
streakman is infamous around these parts
People talk like the difference between the "S" and regular is like a 911 and a 911 turbo ...LOL

More than likely you won't feel a difference. As I said before buy the one with the most options. Most of these cars were leased without any options at all even the the "S".

If you have to have a fast car look somewhere else the boxster isn't..... not even the "S"

Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by streakman
People talk like the difference between the "S" and regular is like a 911 and a 911 turbo ...LOL

More than likely you won't feel a difference. As I said before buy the one with the most options. Most of these cars were leased without any options at all even the the "S".

If you have to have a fast car look somewhere else the boxster isn't..... not even the "S"
Well said, streakman.

I agree the Boxster, even the S, is not a fast car, though I think the 295hp '07 Boxster S is pretty fast for the streets.

If you're used to the power of a 4 cylinder Accord, then any Boxster feels fast. If you're used to driving a Corvette (not sure why the 'Vette came to mind, could've said 911 Turbo) then the Boxster will feel slow.

Regardless, it is a very fun car to drive on the street.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:06 PM
lucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant future
i'll say this...

i drove both an 03 S and 03 non-S and i really couldn't feel the difference, even when i got in a medium-spirited level of driving...

my 2nd to last car was a modified LS1, then i went to an e36 325i, so i dropped in power but gained substantial handling and comfort... i found the boxster to be a great combination of the two for a reasonable price...

my point is not to drive a 'fast' car, but one that's fun, peppy, and that i enjoy all around

right now i'm looking at both S and non-S, and the best value (S seems to get much better resale, even the older they get) will get my purchase

Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
I am not sure what your budget is but early 2005 Boxsters are starting to drop quickly toward the prices of later Boxster S.

The 987 from a look point of view has the advantage over the 986 and the 2005 987 Boxster has 240 break so not really much difference to the earlier S's.

If out of your budget I would lean toward a 2003 Boxster S. There is a good buyers guide for the 986 boxster in Porsche and 911 world this month although I am not sure if you can get that magazine in the US

Old 01-23-2008, 05:27 PM
CS Jeff is infamous around these parts
Hey Topher...was that Boxster over at European Wholesale off Harry Hines? I was going to look at one over that way and was wondering if its the same car. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Great car...my wife daily drives her Boxster...it's a fun car...my only regret is not getting her the S...

Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 PM
lucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CS Jeff
Hey Topher...was that Boxster over at European Wholesale off Harry Hines? I was going to look at one over that way and was wondering if its the same car. Thanks!
yep that's the one... save yourself the time

Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 AM
CS Jeff is infamous around these parts
Ok... thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by vick57
i traded in my '03 boxsterS last week (1/9) at park place porsche in dallas. arctic silver/black. 31K miles. just had 30K service and new clutch. don't know if they put it on their used lot or not. it was a great car. never had a problem with it.
i walked into park place today... as i was pulling up a guy just bought this car.... it looked REALLY good.... i mentioned the forum to him so lets hope he sees this and says hi

i was looking at an 01 non-S and was actually quite satisfied with it... going back this afternoon to finish negotiating...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sell me on or steer me from the boxster...