Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman/Boxster Forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
CaymanGT is infamous around these parts
Cayman/Boxster Forum

I am New to 6speedonline but the first thing I noticed is Boxster and Cayman are combined together ? The 2 cars are very different in many aspects .Similar in some but for the most part very Different.any reason why? Thanks and great site!

Old 03-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
You will find that many of the Boxster owners here utilize their car much the same way. The Cayman is an extremely well handling car with good acceleration and can be used everyday and so does the Boxster. My question is where do YOU find the large differences?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Cayman Cab S is infamous around these parts
Both are 987

Originally Posted by CaymanGT
I am New to 6speedonline but the first thing I noticed is Boxster and Cayman are combined together ? The 2 cars are very different in many aspects .Similar in some but for the most part very Different.any reason why? Thanks and great site!
Cayman(987) was created to slot between Boxster (987) and 911(997). Porsche gave the Cayman a 3.4L motor rather than the Boxster's 3.2L. Now both have the 3.4L. The coupe is more rigid but unless seriously track racing, there is negligable difference. Porsche marketing cleverly figured out how to charge more for a coupe than a 'vert! This is why Porsche is the most profitable car company. Boxster/Cayman are both designated as 987 models. There is no subsitute!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
They couldnt be any closer. It would be stupid to have different forums. When your talking about modding one it usually pertains to the other one....

Old 03-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Cayman/Boxstewr

Well the 2 cars look totally different and seem to attract 2 different buyers in my opinion.Ferdinand Himself said that Convertables are for playboys and hard tops are for the serious Porsche drivers.Example would be the toyota camry and the scion XB have the same frame ,motor and trans but would you put them in the same forum thread? I really like both cars though and I am really fond of the new limited edition boxster so dont take me wrong ok . Cayman should be cayman and boxster should be boxster..6speedonline ??? 1 more thing to ***** about ok. Every forum Thread Has the SAME picture of the GT Instead of all the different models for that forum thread..Thats kinda lazy .. Thats my 2 cents just trying to make things better we are all family here

Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM
easyc is infamous around these parts
Well the 2 cars look totally different and seem to attract 2 different buyers in my opinion.Ferdinand Himself said that Convertables are for playboys and hard tops are for the serious Porsche drivers.Example would be the toyota camry and the scion XB have the same frame ,motor and trans but would you put them in the same forum thread? I really like both cars though and I am really fond of the new limited edition boxster so dont take me wrong ok . Cayman should be cayman and boxster should be boxster..6speedonline ??? 1 more thing to ***** about ok. Every forum Thread Has the SAME picture of the GT Instead of all the different models for that forum thread..Thats kinda lazy .. Thats my 2 cents just trying to make things better we are all family here

Sweet our new members keep getting better and better... Mr. Ferrari also once said that the mid engine design was dumb... that worked out well huh?

now that the cayman's have become popular, Im really getting angry at the type of car enthusiasts that have stepped over into the Porsche world... they are not your usual cup of tea. Let me guess you have a modded Cayman that you feel is now what porsche should have made... so you have taken the liberty to rename it a Cayman GT? The boxster and cayman are nearly identical... go look at a parts catalog...

Old 03-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Easyc

Thanks you Easys .This Is Exactly why we need seperate threads,and Yes you are right on all points . But it seems only one of us and its not me shold be on that CAVEMAN show. ....

Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 PM
easyc is infamous around these parts
Thanks you Easys .This Is Exactly why we need seperate threads,and Yes you are right on all points . But it seems only one of us and its not me shold be on that CAVEMAN show. ....

Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
djmiroku is infamous around these parts
hmmm whats going on in here

Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Interesting introduction! You're going to make a lot of friends here

All jokes aside, I'm sorry I have to be the one to break it to you (like everyone else before me): the Cayman and Boxster are exactly the same car, with the exception of the roof! They share the same engine, headlights, tail lights, dashboard, model designation, and modifications.

Before you accuse me of being a Cayman/Boxster hater, please note that I like the car. I used to have a Boxster and loved it. I currently have a white Cayman in my garage too (sister's car):

But again, if you disregard the Porsche marketing, it's the same car as the Boxster, which isn't a bad thing.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 PM
maracuya68 is infamous around these parts
my two cents... The cayman is a sports entry car for Porsche... the Boxster is a sporster... two different concepts... same platform...

And I agree, Cayman and Boxster owners are nothing alike... Boxster owners tend to be older and looking for the fun sportster from the 60's... Cayman owners tend to be younger and more prone to mods...

At the end of it... one thing we all have in common... All of us dreamt of someday driving a Porsche!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
I disagree. They are virutally the same car mechanically and don't really differ any more than the 997 coupe differs from the 997 cab.

Sounds like someone has really bought the Porsche marketing line "hook, line, and sinker".

Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 PM
NYSpeedRacer84 is infamous around these parts
What's that about Boxster owners being older? I'm not even 25 yet, but I do love my 997 as well (:

Old 03-14-2008, 07:39 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
I like his comparo between the Scion and the camry. Gimme a break man. I love the Cayman and the Boxster. 2 GREAT cars but 2 EXTREMELY SIMILIAR cars. I'll put it to you this way, the person who told Weidenking(or however you spell it) that they could sell Caymans for $5000 more and justify it no longer works for Porsche. Also in 08 there was a higher percentage increase for the Boxsters while the Cayman S(not the regular Cayman- no increase) only increased by about .5%. Theres a reason they screwed up.

Once again dont get me wrong the car is absolutely awesome!!!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:17 AM
lucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant futurelucky_topher has a brilliant future
Cliffsnotes:

OP ->
current member ->
current member ->
OP ->
current members ->

... thread will continue the same

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman/Boxster Forum