Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

North Carolina Emissions inspection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Crazed1 is infamous around these parts
North Carolina Emissions inspection

Hey All:

I recently moved to Raleigh from Chicago and have a question for anyone local here. I'd like to replace the exhaust on my 987 with a cat back system, removing one set of cats. I haven't had the pleasure of taking one of my vehicles in for emission testing, so I don't know what to expect.

Can anyone tell me if a visual inspection is done in addition to the emission testing? If a visual is performed, would the technician know that the car was originally outfitted with 4 cats and that 2 were removed?

I have to believe that someone here in the Raleigh area must have upgraded the stock exhaust on their Boxster or Cayman.

Appreciate the feedback...

Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 PM
themperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the rough
Great question. Try asking the Sharkwerks guys. They are nothern cali and just did a Remus on a Cayman.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Uh...Northern California is NOT North Carolina! Each state does these a bit differently. Crazed...you might want to get on pca.org, talk to some of the folks in your region.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Crazed1 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the idea's gents. I'll keep digging. I would hate to get the new exhaust installed, only to find out I have to revert to the original exhaust.

I'll hit up my PCA region, and see what folks say...

Old 05-06-2008, 09:22 PM
valter is infamous around these parts
I would guess, that you have nothing to worry about. If your check engine light is off, all readiness tests in PCM passed, and you have at least one cat observable under your car, you should be ok. I have a friends in NC, who is passing emissions with very wild setups

Old 05-07-2008, 03:29 PM
winchester21 is infamous around these parts
Depends on the county and who is doing the inspection. I have not heard of anyone getting nabbed on a visual. Typically one of the independent Porsche shops that does state inspections is the best place to go.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 PM
themperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the rough
Woops, didn't pay attention enough...indeed North Carolina is no where close to Northern Cali.