Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car was just smashed into...radar detector and nuvi both gone...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Car was just smashed into...radar detector and nuvi both gone...

I'm in Lincoln Park (Chicago) for the summer and am renting a spot in a locked and secured garage. There are cameras around and everything. The garage has about 20 other nice cars (read Lexus, Benz's etc). However, mine was the only one busted up. They even got into the complex and stole the recorder for the security cameras. I think it was an inside job, but we will see.

Either way, the passenger side window is shattered, the inside door panel is all scratched up (full leather interior) and when I was trying to get glass out of the seats, they are getting all scratched up. Will insurance cover this? Who should I take my car too in the morning if its not raining? Right now all I can think of is a dealer and I have had my car at Loeber before. Will they acknowledge that I want $$ for seats and the panel and everything else? My car was perfect before this without a single blemish so this is really eating at me. The only way I can turn this into a sort of good situation is to use some of the money to get myself the GT3 seats I have really wanted

Any advice appreciated. TIA

Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 PM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
Thats TERRIBLE. Sorry to hear...hope you get it sorted out and they catch the bastards.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:49 PM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
The comprehensive section of your insurance should cover this, give them a call right away before you do anything. They should have an adjustor look at your car, take photos, and I hope all goes well.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
mrfva is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SLA
The comprehensive section of your insurance should cover this, give them a call right away before you do anything. They should have an adjustor look at your car, take photos, and I hope all goes well.

+1 I don't see why your insurance wouldn't cover this. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope they catch the thieves who did this. And as mentioned, take as many photos as you can.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
thanks guys. I took a ton of pics, but not of some of the detail where you can see the leather ruined...I will do it in the morning.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:52 PM
wingnut2u has a spectacular aura aboutwingnut2u has a spectacular aura about
car insurance will not cover the radar detector as that usually falls under home owners but your car insurance should cover all of the damage to the car itself.

That sucks, if nothing else just the hassle of getting it all fixed is a huge pain in the ****.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:08 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Insurance and a trip to dealer to get an estimate. Interior panels are very expensive. You can consider seat upgrade as insurance often just cut you a check.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Sorry to hear that

Old 06-08-2008, 09:16 PM
crislau is infamous around these parts
sorry to hear... hopefully they have those bastards on camera. Good luck with the claims.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 PM
CaymenSKid is infamous around these parts
i would def. say insurance will pay i had a similar situation as well... if not i would also go after the apartment building and see if they will give you compensation. Have you spoken to the police as well? By the sounds of it they must have been scouting your car because of you navi and radar do the other cars have radar and nav in plain view?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:03 AM
I have been in contact with the condo complex people as they had stuff stolen too (the security room was hacked into and the recorder was taken). Just like wingnut2u said...the worst part of all this is having to deal with all the bull*hit - total PITA being that I am in Chicago for only a short time and have to get it all done here.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Cj_boxster is infamous around these parts
Your insurance will cover your damages However, they wont outright give you money for your scratched seats, they almost always have a detail shop check if they can be repaired and cleaned into new condition... anything with scratches they will want a bodyshop or detailer's opinionm sometimes the adjuster will make an assumption based on his experiences and assume "yeah that will buff off the seats, thats about $50 bucks" so you need to recommend a good body/detail shop for the 2nd opinion cause that works in your favor.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Sendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to all
With my insurance Co, anythign that was not factory equipment on the car or that is 'portable' (radar detector, handheld nav, case of CDs) is not covered my car insurance and only covered by homeowners. You may have to do separate claims for the same issue.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:11 AM
davyr6 is infamous around these parts
i ve had the same thing with my bmw coupe, all side windows smashed every body panell scratched and my 2 front seats also,insurance didnt pay for my seats
the rest they did but hey this is belgium maybe the us is better ;-)

Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 PM
humara is infamous around these parts
if you were in lincoln park in LA, they would have gotten the whole car. good luck with reparations.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car was just smashed into...radar detector and nuvi both gone...