Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softronic Intstallation Completed!! 2.7 Cayman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Softronic Intstallation Completed!! 2.7 Cayman

Well I recieved my cable on Saturday and got a chance to complete the Install last night with the provided Tuned Software from Softronic .It was with Easy to do and it only took about 10 to 12 Minutes to complete.The fan ran like gangbusters and I had the feeling that my car was being provided with super powers or something.Well Super Powers would be a good term for this Tuned Software application my first run I was in 3rd gear @ 3500 RPM and decided to put the pedal to the metal as we say(It had Rained Earlier in the day)so the road was still not completely dry,needless to say the Frigin wheels came loose and I was burning Rubber... seriuosly the tourque was tremendous my 2.7 would have never done that before.I also noticed a slight Deeper sound comming from my Exhaust (Really Nice) My performance mods include a Remus Exhaust,K&N Air filter, De-Snorkeled,and now the Softronic Performance Tuning.I also have the Sport Chrono package already on my car.I dont Know if having an aftermarket Exhaust created an increased air flow or something but my little 2.7 Is fast as gangbusters now .I will wait to install the Softronic Plenum and do a final Dyno but will make some Videos this weekend for all to see and Hear.My final opinion is that this really is a MUST do mod for anyone looking to get to that next level in performance.I do not work or have any interest in the softronic Coproration just being honest here .. IT WORKS

Old 06-12-2008, 02:13 PM
1 PGH 1 is infamous around these parts
Well done, sounds great.
Ordered and received my Softronic cable a short while ago. So you can do the install on a w/end, doesn't have to be during "business hours"? I have the sample screens from the website, but no instructions came with the cable ... so you just plug it into your laptop & ECU, etc., it automatically reads the existing programming and sends it off. You then receive an e-mail back with the new programming and load that back into the ECU ... do I have that right? How long before you are pinged back with the new program?
Thanks, I'm probably making this more complicated than it is in reality.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
1 Pgh 1

Softronic
Site Sponsor

Softronic Install
This is the link to download the Softronic software that will read and write to your car. Please download and install this.
Next after software install:

1. Plug in the cable to the USB and let the computer install it automatically. Should it ask if you want to, say yes and allow it. THIS HAS to be done just after the software is installed and before the program is run.
2.Plug the cable into the OBD2 port or also known as the diagnostic port.
3.Turn on the key.
4. Launch the software and after it reads and when you get to the "Comments " fill in if you want Sport mode, what year, model and trans you car has, manual or auto, name and email address.
5. The file will then upload.
6. Turn Off the key and unplug the cable, you may use the car until you receive the new files to tune.
6. I will then send you your files within 24 hrs or your tuner.
Should you not see a "Next" button at the bottom of the screen you will have to change the DPI from 120 to 96 or Normal
http://www.softronic.us/FlasherSetup.zip
Best,
Scott

Old 06-12-2008, 03:08 PM
1 Pgh 1

Also To add to that .After you send the file to Softronic You should recieve the Tuned file the next day in most cases.I sent mine at 7 pm WA time and when I woke in the morning my e-mailed Tuned and Reset to factory files were already in my computer .so they send you a file to download in case you need to set ECU back to factory settings for any reason.After I recieve my tuned file I opened it but had to go to START PROGRAMS (Find the softronic download) and RUN from there .It would not run just by opening the Icon .Basicall if you hear the fan running like gang busters its working.I did not hook my battery up to a charger as it says to do.My battery is strong and it only took 10 minutes time .Good Luck

Old 06-13-2008, 05:08 AM
1 PGH 1 is infamous around these parts
.... aahhh, great thanks very much Scott and Porshcepet. That really helps.
I plan to get this done in the next 10 days or so ... can't wait
Cheers ... Peter

Old 06-16-2008, 01:29 AM
chaud
any new updates Porschepet? I got my files emailed to me this weekend... will be flashing mine this week hopefully... but I'm going to wait after changing my oil.. I have a cold air intake, 2ndary cat bypass pipes, and a set of headers waiting to install... do you guys think it would be more fun to flash now (with exhaust and desnorkle)... or wait till after the new mods to flash?

From speaking with Scott, the softronic software will be constantly adjusting the DME/ECU (to my understanding), so shouldn't matter either way really, power-wise... but I'd guess one way would be more fun than the other.. Anyone know which order would be best?

Last edited by chaud; 06-16-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:20 AM
Crazed1 is infamous around these parts
I just finished flashing my 2007 Boxster S. Process is painless and quick. My choice, get the flashed image in as soon as possible and ENJOY : )

Old 06-17-2008, 12:51 AM
chaud

YES I agree with Crazed1 .If the flash constantly adjusts then no problem.. My 2.7 is smoking fast after the flash install .I dont know if its a combo of my Mods or what but the tourque is SMOKING!!!!!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:47 AM
DesertCaymanS is infamous around these parts
Sounds like you are experiencing the same perf increase I saw on my CS.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 PM
chaud
Hey guys, so I just got the Softronic in... (the first time, didn't work out properly...had CEL's, and no power... but Scott sent me an updated file... I guess it was some sort of conflict since I had a Revo trial flash awhile back).. Anyhow, I reflashed to stock, and Scott sent me an updated tuned file.

I Just got the flash in today, flashed succesfully, but I didn't really notice any discernable difference in power/performance. I was hoping that maybe it needed some time to adapt, so I drove around aggressively to let the ecu adapt, but still haven't felt anything notable.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Maybe drive around more? (I'm guessing I logged in about 50 miles of driving so far after the flash).

Hopefully someone can chime in, else I'll give Scott a call tomorrow to get some of his expertise on this.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
easyc is infamous around these parts
chaud what else do you have done to the car? Have you ever had a baseline dyno? You could go get another if you have... Scott will probably be able to help you... sure wish he would take 5 minutes to answer my emails and pm's (<---hint hint scott!!! )

Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
The biggest difference is that you have a 986 2.7 and uses a 7.2 DME. This is a completely different engine and controls . I will not flash the 2.5 M96 5.2.2 DME engines and typically will also not recommend the 2.7 M96 either. The only 2.7 that will show enough gains is the M97 2.7 from its vario cam timing, 7.8.4 DME and other attributes.

The BoxsterS 3.2 and 996 3.4 have enough displacement in the 7.2 DME years to get more gains.

Yours was A FREE flash that was won in the contest.

Best,
Scott Slauson

Originally Posted by chaud
Hey guys, so I just got the Softronic in... (the first time, didn't work out properly...had CEL's, and no power... but Scott sent me an updated file... I guess it was some sort of conflict since I had a Revo trial flash awhile back).. Anyhow, I reflashed to stock, and Scott sent me an updated tuned file.

I Just got the flash in today, flashed succesfully, but I didn't really notice any discernable difference in power/performance. I was hoping that maybe it needed some time to adapt, so I drove around aggressively to let the ecu adapt, but still haven't felt anything notable.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Maybe drive around more? (I'm guessing I logged in about 50 miles of driving so far after the flash).

Hopefully someone can chime in, else I'll give Scott a call tomorrow to get some of his expertise on this.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:47 AM
chaud
Originally Posted by Softronic
The biggest difference is that you have a 986 2.7 and uses a 7.2 DME. This is a completely different engine and controls . I will not flash the 2.5 M96 5.2.2 DME engines and typically will also not recommend the 2.7 M96 either. The only 2.7 that will show enough gains is the M97 2.7 from its vario cam timing, 7.8.4 DME and other attributes.

The BoxsterS 3.2 and 996 3.4 have enough displacement in the 7.2 DME years to get more gains.

Yours was A FREE flash that was won in the contest.

Best,
Scott Slauson
Hey Scott, thanks for the update... Just to clarify, I am not complaining one bit, if you read what I wrote above... I was simply posting up my actual first hand experience, honest and unbiased... I was asking for assistance in case that there was some step that wasn't outlined that I may have been missing, since I had not yet felt any changes. When you wrote back "Yours was a A FREE flash that was won in the contest"... Upon re-reading my post, I can't see why you would respond saying that, unless you meant to imply that I was either complaining or that a free flash shouldn't receive the same support and gains as a paid flash.

Also, I find it interesting that you say that there aren't much gains to be had with the 986 2.7L... And that you say there is more room for gains with the 986 3.2L and the 996 3.4L engines... Reason being that on yourwebsite (screenshot posted below), you advertise a +18hp increase on the 2.7L, a +15hp increase on the 3.2L, and a +22hp increase on the 3.4L. Perhaps I'm missing something, but as someone who was considering purchasing the software flash prior to this contest even (since I previous had a REVO trial, and was still on the market looking for what other options existed).. I would have read your website, and interpreted that the +18hp increase with the flash advertised on the 2.7L as similar/greater than the gains to be seen on the 3.2L (+15hp). But now, above, you say that the 2.7L doesn't have enough displacement to see gains compared to the 3.2L and 3.4L 7.2dme engines.

Please understand Scott, again, that I am not complaining. I know I said this already, but let me reiterate, that I was and am asking for advice. I asked you if I should drive around more, to let the DME adapt more, and you said yes I should... This was all I was asking for, was a push in the proper direction so that I could maximize the effect of the flash. Of course if I feel a new change, I will update this as well, as I sincerely do appreciate your generosity with what you gave us in the contest. All of my posts and emails to have reflected my appreciation and gratitude.

Thanks again Scott!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
The gains were more for the 2.7 7.8 Dme and not the 7.2 that you have. The fact is that you can generate more HP from a larger displaced engine than a smaller one. This though is different in the years that the 2.7 was generated. The 2.7 has gone through some DME and basic mechanical changes. The HP was correct for a 2.7 with a 7.8 DME, however I have found it easier to discontinue the entire 2.7 986 line from the Softronic software so this will not happen again.

Enjoy!

Best,
Scott

Last edited by Softronic; 06-24-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
If you ever have any questions on Softronic or doing the process, as the 6speed Softronic dealer, you can contact me anytime for support if Scott is not available. We have done many many cars here on the dyno and around the world Scott is a genious!

Thanks!
Dan