Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986/987 how to bring track tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM
92tsiawd is infamous around these parts
986/987 how to bring track tires

Quick question, I was wondering if anyone has an alternative to a boxster bringing track tires other than:

1) getting a small trailer because I do not have space to store it
2) Driving on R-comps to the track, that would be an expensive drive with R6s

Has anyone ever used something like this? http://www.izoomgraphics.com/index.p...&products_id=8
Would the rear subframe be strong enough to hold it? I have actually seen a miata with it and it works great.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Rob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant future
I used a small trailer. You can get the small trailer kit from Harbor Freight pretty cheaply. Great post recently on ppbb.com about a guy who fabricated a hitch mount and modified a Harbor Freight trailer.

I wouldn't want to use my R comps on the street, in the midwest at least, since there is always a chance of rain.

I'd be a little nervous with the tire tail, depending on how it's mounted. If your hitch is attached to the bumperette mounts, I wouldn't do it. The mounts are aluminum and I don't they could stand up to the forces exerted by all that weight hanging off them.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Bruinbro is a jewel in the roughBruinbro is a jewel in the roughBruinbro is a jewel in the rough
Rent a truck and trailer. Then you can haul the other things like coolers, tools, a spare engine, jackstands, chairs, tent/shade device, generator, etc. I rent a trailer from U-Haul and hook it up to this:

Comes complete with tent and awning:

Bro

Old 06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Cj_boxster is infamous around these parts
Heres a trailer

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pahrump_4_01_boxter.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	71845  
Old 06-12-2008, 03:01 PM
hahaha, I think I'm going to pass on the truck idea
I'm guessing the only way is trailering them there...The Harbor Freight ones look pretty decent. Any good hitches you guys have used?
You guys ever run into a problem where they only allow caged convertibles on the track? Any good street cages that will meet the requirements?

Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Rob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant future
The hitch is the tricky part. I don't know that anyone is making them anymore.

They used to be made by SouthSport and Evolution Motorsports. You might want to see if Willwood is still making them. Otherwise, you'll need to find some one to fab something up for you. Look for the recent post by Byron from Atlanta on ppbb.com. He just had one made and might be able to help you out.

If you get a HF trailer, get the one with the larger wheels (12" I think) as it's a lot smoother and stable at speed.

Bruinbro can give you the lowdown on cages, but for the most part, you probably just need a rollbar extender available from Brey-Krause.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Bruinbro is a jewel in the roughBruinbro is a jewel in the roughBruinbro is a jewel in the rough
Factory roll bar is good everywhere I've heard of for DE; competition is cage only.

BTW, I have gone to the track with all the track tires in the car (and I have 295's and 245's). One rear in the front trunk, the other behind the roll bar and the 2 front's in the passenger seat. It's a really tight fit.

As far as cages go, if you want to take the next performance step up from suspension and brake mods, get a cage. The improvement in longitudinal and torsion stiffness has to be felt to be believed. Safety Devices has a removable cage that works well with the soft top. You will have to weld mounting plates to the tub both fore and aft and cut holes in the floorboard to bolt the front hoops. This also means you have to cut the carpet (I just made a slit). The cage will not work with the factory rear speaker/storage tray and you will have to remove the corner factory roll bar carpet covers. It comes with stops for the soft top bumpers and has replacement attachments for factory seatbelt mounting.

Bro

Old 06-12-2008, 08:31 PM
KevinC - SJ,CA is infamous around these parts
Here's a pretty impressive alternative that a friend of mine built. It's made out of square tubing which attaches to the rear bumperette brackets and brackets behind the windows for the Porsche Roof Top System.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I'd just use street tires LOL

Taking a day off of work to go to track and staying overnight is a big deal already. Not sure if I'd want to swap tires and haul it. Too much trouble just to have track tires.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 AM
easyc is infamous around these parts
Up until last fall I used a HF trailer and a willwood hitch to carry my hoosiers to the track... make sure you get the 12" tires... willwood is still making hitches I believe, so look Will up... if you are getting to the point where your street tires are always squealing then its time to start looking at R-comps... and sometimes a tire trailer is the way to go...

Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Bruinbro
BTW, I have gone to the track with all the track tires in the car (and I have 295's and 245's). One rear in the front trunk, the other behind the roll bar and the 2 front's in the passenger seat. It's a really tight fit.
This is Exactly what I wanted to hear and still have the back trunk to throw some tools in there. I mean if I have no choice, then this is what I got to live with =) What did you mean by behind the rollbar? Is there room back there? Did you have to have the top opened to fit everything. I think I still will eventually get a trailer since the car is too small and I will keep in mind the 12" tire recommendation. With the wilwood trailer hitch, is there going to permanently be a hitch sticking out the back of the car?

I run in SoloSprints (Canadian) which is the equivalent of Solo I in the states and they seem to be pretty stringent since any car with even a targa roof is required to have rollover protection, convertibles might be fine with half cages, but honestly its only my head right? Does anyone know of any bolt in cages that are a little more streetable?

Bruinbro - got any pictures of the cage you have in your car?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by 92tsiawd
This is Exactly what I wanted to hear and still have the back trunk to throw some tools in there. I mean if I have no choice, then this is what I got to live with =) What did you mean by behind the rollbar? Is there room back there? Did you have to have the top opened to fit everything. I think I still will eventually get a trailer since the car is too small and I will keep in mind the 12" tire recommendation. With the wilwood trailer hitch, is there going to permanently be a hitch sticking out the back of the car?

I run in SoloSprints (Canadian) which is the equivalent of Solo I in the states and they seem to be pretty stringent since any car with even a targa roof is required to have rollover protection, convertibles might be fine with half cages, but honestly its only my head right? Does anyone know of any bolt in cages that are a little more streetable?

Bruinbro - got any pictures of the cage you have in your car?
A link...

http://boxcar-racing.com/forum/index.php?topic=198.0

I have other picks but I would have to e-mail them to you.

Bro

Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 AM
heyjae is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cj_boxster
Heres a trailer
Small world. That's my old M roadster and my buddy's Audi TT in the background. I think the pic was taken at Spring Mountain.

I just go to the track w/ my R compounds mounted. For me the next step would be to get a truck and trailer, rather than haul extra wheels/tires with the Box.

Last edited by heyjae; 06-16-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 AM
ExigentM is infamous around these parts
Met a guy at Mid Ohio who had bought the Porsche roof rack system from his dealer and then found a small platform on eBay. He attached the platform ( like a wire basket, something like the pictur above on the Rover). 3 tires in the rack & 1 in the rear hatch. Looked like a great idea, the attachment points are built into the car so no worries there.