Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with 20 inch tire sizes....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Deuce1
See I don't think you understand what is really going on here, the fact of the matter is that we are explaining to uniformed individuals that if done correctly with the right vendors a 20" setup will not hurt the performance on the Cayman to many people's dis-belief!!! However, I would agree that if I was running the 20's at the track on my GT3 I would have a very different response due to the power variance between the two cars, when pushing the GT3 with the 20's at the track the combination is too direct and I smoke the tires and spin out a hell of a lot easier.
Wow.....

So many things wrong here I don't know where to start. Next time you're at the track search out the fastest club racer or instructor you know and have a discussion about wheels and tires with that individual. There is a reason that you don't see Club Racers and serious DE'ers selecting 20's for most Porsche's at the track. There are much more performance oriented choices out there for their cars and they know it.

Don't listen to me, talk to someone you trust and respect who knows their stuff.

Street bling, that's another story. Like I said it's a free country and you can put spinners on if you want.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Deuce1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
Wow.....

So many things wrong here I don't know where to start. Next time you're at the track search out the fastest club racer or instructor you know and have a discussion about wheels and tires with that individual. There is a reason that you don't see Club Racers and serious DE'ers selecting 20's for most Porsche's at the track. There are much more performance oriented choices out there for their cars and they know it.

Don't listen to me, talk to someone you trust and respect who knows their stuff.

Street bling, that's another story. Like I said it's a free country and you can put spinners on if you want.
See the funny thing here again........ Is that yes there is always a better performing solution to anyones current setup especially your donuts, however there is always someone out there with a better performing and handling setup than yours.

The only problem, well not the only problem I have with your response it that majority of track instructors I have run into at events, DE events, AX etc. have never even tried a 20" setup, so they talk the talk (like yourself) but in the end its always "Well to be honest I have never run a car with 20's at the track" and case in point I have let a few of those naysayers test my car out and to their astonishment "Wow I would have never thought it would perform this well" Duh!!! get out from under a rock grandpa!!!!!! yes it is not the most cost effective route for a die hard tracker as your costs are easily double for rims and tires every outing, which would be a huge reason majority of people would never ever even consider running them you think?????????

Thanks! and let's please get back to helping TightTT and his quest for the right tires

Last edited by Deuce1; 06-16-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:16 PM
yutripnfoo is infamous around these parts
Wow.....

Why do you associate all 20" wheels or "dubs" like the gangsta yourself refers to, with spinners or chrome like the horrendous elise you posted?

FYI, its 2008 where custom multipiece forged wheels can range from 15" to 24" sizes? Pull your head out your *** and just stfu if you cant help with the tires sizes.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
See the funny thing here again........ Is that yes there is always a better performing solution to anyones current setup especially your donuts, however there is always someone out there with a better performing and handling setup than yours.

The only problem, well not the only problem I have with your response it that majority of track instructors I have run into at events, DE events, AX etc. have never even tried a 20" setup, so they talk the talk (like yourself) but in the end its always "Well to be honest I have never run a car with 20's at the track" and case in point I have let a few of those naysayers test my car out and to their astonishment "Wow I would have never thought it would perform this well" Duh!!! get out from under a rock grandpa!!!!!! yes it is not the most cost effective route for a die hard tracker as your costs are easily double for rims and tires every outing, which would be a huge reason majority of people would never ever even consider running them you think?????????

Thanks! and let's please get back to helping TightTT and his quest for the right tires
Double wow.......

So now you believe Dubs are indeed the faster set-up but the grandpas running at the track just don't realize what they are missing.

I am humbled by your knowledge. The force is indeed strong in you young Jedi....

Old 06-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Deuce1 is infamous around these parts
Double wow.......

So now you believe Dubs are indeed the faster set-up but the grandpas running at the track just don't realize what they are missing.

I am humbled by your knowledge. The force is indeed strong in you young Jedi....
Who is this guy????? do your glasses not work son??? for some reason I just can't find where I ever stated that "DUBS" were a faster setup than anything!!!!!! but it seems you only like to hear the diarrhea flow out of your mouth and not read the facts!

My point for justification is that they are not a deterioration in performance as majority of naysayers believe them to be, But without ignorant people like this who never crawl out from under the rock and test different options, I mean if everyone was smart and intelligent enough and desired change and performance, then who would be left to work for me and make me money

Again, your opinion means nothing until you have a leg to stand on as far as this thread is concerned and you have had real world experience in which you can actually have a constructive criticism!

BTW isn't it just plain moronic that tuners such as SpeedArt, Ruf and Techart run 20's on their flagship cars today and have the best times over their competition??? I mean who does that?

This is out of hand and has completely side tracked from TightTT's original post, so I personally will end this here and if TightTT has any questions regarding his topic you can PM me. Plus my popcorn just ran out

Last edited by Deuce1; 06-16-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned
LA TECH is infamous around these parts
I am really enjoying this thread. It's nice to see people understanding the importance of over all diameters. You couldn't be more accurate. The truth is forged 18" wheels weigh less then 20" forged wheels, but that's not the topic here. As a matter of fact most of the people who own Porsche's aren't trying to save fractions off their lap times. They are simply dramatically improving the styling of their car with 20" forged wheels with out sacrificing much performance. I always frown upon the 20" haters.

Even the 20" haters must admit the Ruf, and Tech Art cars look pretty damn good. The fact is if your setting up a car specifically for the track you are going to try and ring out as much weight as possible where ever possible. However, this wasn't the question. The question was what size tire to run on a 20x11 application and the answer is 305/25/20.

BTW congratulations on your new wheels TighTT,

Old 06-16-2008, 04:53 PM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
if TightTT has any questions regarding his topic you can PM me. Plus my popcorn just ran out

Thanks for all the help Deuce....I appreciate it.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:59 PM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LA TECH
As a matter of fact most of the people who own Porsche's aren't trying to save fractions off their lap times. They are simply dramatically improving the styling of their car with 20" forged wheels with out sacrificing much performance.

Ding! Winner! You hit the nail right on the head. I'm looking for improved looks without much of a performance sacrifice. If I want all-out performance...I hop into my A4 which is night and day faster than my Cayman. While the cayman does handle better than the A4...the Moton Suspension and H-sport sways definitely keep the A4 planted on the road.

Thanks for the info/help Tech.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Banned
LA TECH is infamous around these parts
TighTT,

with 500 horses in that Audi you definetly have your hands full keeping that car planted.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by LA TECH
TighTT,

with 500 horses in that Audi you definetly have your hands full keeping that car planted.
Truth.

But I gotta tell you...spinning all 4 tires while rolling onto the throttle in 2nd gear sure is fun!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Bump

Bump

Old 06-21-2008, 11:49 AM
hatchimon is infamous around these parts
omg i didnt realize how crazy this world is! sheesh! all I can say is WOW to this thread dood! 20" champions will look pretty nice on your car bro! We got to do a photo shoot with some wholesome girls posing in non wholesome outfits!

Old 06-22-2008, 05:18 PM
porsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud of
TighTT

I highly recommend 245 30 20 on the front you will have no rubbing issues. I have 2 sets of 245's both 20's I am lowered with Techart Springs. I also have 255's (front) with my BBS LMRs no issues whatsoever. As for the rears it depends on the offset. I have a set of 20x10 with 275 30 20 and a set of 20x11 with 305 30 20 (barely rub at high speeds on dips) you should go with 305 25 20.

These are 305 30 20 and are 20x11 they rarely rub (Florio 3 piece forged)only at very high speeds on really deep dips, and even then its so slight. The black ones you see in the backround to the left are 20x10 with 275 30 20.

Last edited by porsched4ed; 06-22-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by hatchimon
some wholesome girls posing in non wholesome outfits!

Where do I sign up?!?!?

Old 06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
I would run 245/30/20 and 295/25/20. I am running 235/30/20 and 275/30/20, my next set of tires will be +1 in width.