Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with 20 inch tire sizes....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 PM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
Need some help with 20 inch tire sizes....

I have some new wheels on the way:

20 X 8.5 front and 20 X 11 rear. What size tires should I run?? If I went 235-30-20 front and 285-30-20 rear would that be OK? I know the rolling diameter will be a bit off. Thoughts?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:07 AM
themperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the rough
You are better off with 295 rears IMO.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:15 AM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by themperor
You are better off with 295 rears IMO.

295 what? 295-30? 295-25?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 PM
themperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the rough
You can google "Tire size calculator" and enter in the stock tire size and +size. Not sure off the top of my head but 295/25/20 I think.....The calculator will tell you.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Deuce1 is infamous around these parts
I am running 305-25-20's on my Cayman S

Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Dubs on a sports car....

All of the tires you mentioned effectively make your gearing taller. I guess you don't care about acceleration....

Old 06-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
Dubs on a sports car....

All of the tires you mentioned effectively make your gearing taller. I guess you don't care about acceleration....

When I really care about acceleration, I drive my A4.

What size tires would you recommend?

Old 06-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Dubs on a sports car....

305/25/20's run the same outside diameter as stock

Old 06-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Deuce1

Thanks deuce...thats the kind of info I was looking for. I appreciate helpful info.....unlike useless crap from certain other members.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
He didn't mention that tire but a 25% profile should do wonders for the ride.

Then again good for him rolling his Cayman on dubs, why should new Camaro and Challenger owners have all of the fun??

Plus, he'll be in good company. This Elise rolling on Dubs is looking fine!!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:59 PM

Then again good for him rolling his Cayman on dubs, why should new Camaro and Challenger owners have all of the fun??

Actually the ride is no worse than stock, you would be amazed in the engineering and technology that goes into low profile high quality tires today, not only do they ride amazing, and feel a lot more planted and stable pushing them hard into corners; the road noise is not even as close to as bad the stockers, but thanks for your input

I love the old school mentality! especially from people who personally haven't actually stepped up and tried all different applications to be able to justify the added benefits or downfalls from these setups. I personally have tested my car at Willow with the stock 18's with PS2's, Lightweight Champion Motorsport 19"s on PS2's and my current setup on 20's and my best times have been on the 19's and 20's almost exactly on point with the two. Personally I feel a lot more confident in my 20's as you can truly feel what the road and what your tires are doing, very intuitive IMO.

BTW my 20" setup is 10 pounds lighter than the 18 stock setup.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04206.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	72187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04202.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	72188  

Last edited by Deuce1; 06-15-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:42 PM

*sigh*

For being such an uninformed troll...you sure do have a big mouth on you! Why don't you post up some pics of your current (or past) cars so everyone on the forum (myself included) can critique them the way you so ignorantly opted to do.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Actually the ride is no worse than stock, you would be amazed in the engineering and technology that goes into low profile high quality tires today, not only do they ride amazing, and feel a lot more planted and stable pushing them hard into corners; the road noise is not even as close to as bad the stockers, but thanks for your input

I love the old school mentality! especially from people who personally haven't actually stepped up and tried all different applications to be able to justify the added benefits or downfalls from these setups. I personally have tested my car at Willow with the stock 18's with PS2's, Lightweight Champion Motorsport 19"s on PS2's and my current setup on 20's and my best times have been on the 19's and 20's almost exactly on point with the two. Personally I feel a lot more confident in my 20's as you can truly feel what the road and what your tires are doing, very intuitive IMO.

BTW my 20" setup is 10 pounds lighter than the 18 stock setup.
LOL.....

Now you're going to try to tell me 20's are the performance choice for the Cayman? Funny how I haven't seen any of the guys running in PCA H class running this hot setup. They must be old school.

Hey it's your car, and if you want to play pimp my ride for looks it's a free country. I'll grudgingly grant you that big wheels look cool on some cars, but I'm not a fan of the looks or performance aspects on most Porsches.

Looks are one thing but sell the perfomance benefits of 20's to someone who is buying. Next I suppose I'll hear spinners aid in brake cooling. Seriously, if you saved 10 lbs with forged 20's (over stock cast wheels) how much could you have saved with forged 18's? I saved over 22 lbs going from stock cast 18's to forged wheels (18's) on my 986 and the forged 18's on my 996 weigh less than 20 lbs per wheel (and that's with 18 x 11 rears).

Sorry, I'll agree to disagree about the performance benefits of dubs.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 PM
yutripnfoo is infamous around these parts
Tires Sizes

The 20" rim hate will never end. Now for some info that will hopefully help you.

Depending on if your going to lower or slam your car may affect your rear tire size choices. 285/30/20 is perfect for my setup but I could have also ran a 295 on my 20 x 11. Deuce1 has a very nice setup with a 305 but I cant hang rolling on that thin of a 25 series tire, especially out in SF. I initially ran a 285/25/20 and that was stupid thin and gave me the fattest wheel gap in the rear.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
LOL.....

Now you're going to try to tell me 20's are the performance choice for the Cayman? Funny how I haven't seen any of the guys running in PCA H class running this hot setup. They must be old school.

Hey it's your car, and if you want to play pimp my ride for looks it's a free country. I'll grudgingly grant you that big wheels look cool on some cars, but I'm not a fan of the looks or performance aspects on most Porsches.

Looks are one thing but sell the perfomance benefits of 20's to someone who is buying. Next I suppose I'll hear spinners aid in brake cooling. Seriously, if you saved 10 lbs with forged 20's (over stock cast wheels) how much could you have saved with forged 18's? I saved over 22 lbs going from stock cast 18's to forged wheels (18's) on my 986 and the forged 18's on my 996 weigh less than 20 lbs per wheel (and that's with 18 x 11 rears).

Sorry, I'll agree to disagree about the performance benefits of dubs.
See I don't think you understand what is really going on here, the fact of the matter is that we are explaining to uniformed individuals that if done correctly with the right vendors a 20" setup will not hurt the performance on the Cayman to many people's dis-belief!!! However, I would agree that if I was running the 20's at the track on my GT3 I would have a very different response due to the power variance between the two cars, when pushing the GT3 with the 20's at the track the combination is too direct and I smoke the tires and spin out a hell of a lot easier.

On the other hand the power in the Cayman S and especially your 986 is substantially weaker and at the end of the day does not have enough power to make this a viable issue. So not only have I not sacrificed the performance even fractionally, I look a lot better doing it than 18's on donuts :P

BTW: I think you need to adjust your scale because you are blowing smoke, please!!!!!!!!! do they magically turn into dymags on the track too? I mean come on man, lets try and be informative.... not give false info and bash people when you haven't even stepped into the ring man!

You are totally off base here! and if TightTT was interested in 18's he would have kept his stock donuts on and called it a day!!! obviously he is not interested in these rants and wants his questions answered regarding 20's not your opinion on donuts. Just watch you cholesterol and don't have a heart-attack when some guy smokes you on the track with 20's.

Last edited by Deuce1; 06-16-2008 at 12:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some help with 20 inch tire sizes....