Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S or 996 C4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 AM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Cayman S or 996 C4S?

Gentleman, my 335 is finally gone. I am looking for a replacement.

I plan to use my car year around (we get snow here...) as well as on the track (possibly up to six DE/year).

20% highway, 80% AMAZING back roads.

I've narrowed my search down to a 996 C4S or Cayman S. It's a tough choice. Should I cater to the track-worthiness of the Cayman or the winter potential of a C4S with Blizzaks?

Posted in the 996 forum as well for bias reasons...

Thanks Gents
-Joe

Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
JOEY JOEY, Cayman S, hands down!

I'm sure you will find a way to get around in the snow, you are a smart guy hah

Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 AM
scwerks is infamous around these parts
hello.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:41 AM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Holy rapid response Marty! I'm thinking a Cayman S would be kind of fun...

I just can't resist the *** on those C4S'.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Crazed1 is infamous around these parts
Must be a tough decision. I like the interior better on the Cayman then on the 996. Mid engine versus rear. 4 wheel versus 2 wheel drive. I must say, I like the 997 front end better then the 996.

C4S...wide body, lots of mods available. Man what a dilemma... : )

Old 08-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
I had it down to these two cars also as far as Porsche's went. I was selling my B6 S4...so I wanted good all year performance. I loved the CS when I drove it and had to have it...plus the updated interior was well worth it. I put blizzaks on in the winter - had our worst winter in years last year - and it was great. I wasn't expecting much after my S4, but I was very impressed.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:48 PM
cephas is infamous around these parts
Cayman...
much updated car....easier to keep....

Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
haha even before i clicked into the thread i knew it was your thread joey! LOL...

go with what u like better driving. they are much different in feel...the cayman S is beyond the high expectations i had for it...and for the price range, theres NOTHING else i would buy.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Greg... haha obviously it would be me asking this question. I think I'm still going with a Cayman... especially after the responses here. I just need to find a HIGHLY used Capristo so I don't have to shell out 5K to make it sound insane.

BTW, on Saturday when you and Kelly took your car, I assumed you were getting on rt30 behind me (low, wide xenons) so I slowed down to listen to a REMUS fly-by... only to see a DB9 roll past! I've never been so disappointed to see an Aston haha.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JoeyG
Thanks for the responses.

Greg... haha obviously it would be me asking this question. I think I'm still going with a Cayman... especially after the responses here. I just need to find a HIGHLY used Capristo so I don't have to shell out 5K to make it sound insane.

BTW, on Saturday when you and Kelly took your car, I assumed you were getting on rt30 behind me (low, wide xenons) so I slowed down to listen to a REMUS fly-by... only to see a DB9 roll past! I've never been so disappointed to see an Aston haha.
lol...just get the remus, sounds great...i wouldnt mind doing the capristo, but after shelling out 7K for the superspring on the m3, i wont do that again.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Haha... yeah...

Old 08-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Old 08-29-2008, 09:18 AM
jumper5836 has a spectacular aura aboutjumper5836 has a spectacular aura about
Hard decision. I have had a C4S since 2003. It is now been 2 years off of warranty and have had no problems other then having to replace the ignition coils and plugs. I drive it year round and track it twice a month.

I have friends with Caymans, who also track there cars. A Cayman with street tires can't keep up to my C4S with street tires. 2 of my friends run with Michelin Cups and have there Caymans modded with exhaust, headers, chipped and light weight seats. We are pretty much dead even on most tracks. The only time I have a slight advantage is coming out of a tight corner with a long straight. AWD allows me to get on it full throttle sooner and I can carry more speed down the straight.

My decision is easier then yours. I have the C4S all ready and the Cayman will be a great mate for it in the garage.
My next car will be a Cayman S. Though I am waiting for the next generation. Hopefully PDK with the new engine design from the 997.2.
The first mod is to change the front bumper and hide the horrible fog lights and the second mod would be to do something to increase the HP so it is inline with what a 997.2 has.

Personally I don't think you could go wrong with a 996 C4S. It's looks are the best out of any newer Porsche. It is not fast by new car standards but neighter is a Cayman S.

Good luck with the decision.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Do you think the C4S would be ahead if you drove one of their Caymans and one of them drove your 911? I'm not too keen on taking camparos to heart when you've got different drivers.

Example: I was getting point-bys from a Cayman S all the time at VIR in my 335, which definitely doesn't turn like the Porsche.

Thanks for the response. I think I may have confused some people though... I didn't mean to say the 911 was BAD on the track, just maybe not as well-suited for it (similar to the 360 v 550 argument-- I'm on the 550 side, which means I should give the nod to the C4S).

I don't know... I'm still leaning towards the Cayman.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
To the C4S guy, sorry, but your buddies cannot drive then, no matter what you will reply back and tell me. AWD advantage in and out of corners meanwhile they are on MPSC tires and much lighter weight/rwd? I think not!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman S or 996 C4S?