Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SharkWerks Cayman Pumped up with new EVOMSit & RS350 Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cabaynes
Car looks great. I was wondering if you ever considered painting the slits in the vents (the ones in front of the rear wheels) black? Might look kind of good with the black wheels.
Cheers for the kind words and really god idea. We did front fog light surrounds like that so that'd look good, you're right!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
For anyone in Southern California if you want to see it etc.. and check it out feel free to drop Greg an Email to sales@roadsportsupply.com since it'll be down there all of next week

Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
nice!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey fellas, as promised here's an update, we installed the headers, cats and the ESR underdrive pulley to see what more we could eke out of it. The black line is the baseline with just mufflers. The blue line is the RS350 kit. The red line is the addition of headers, cats and ESR pulley. No software changes were made. With the EVOMSit software and we were able to make 18 more wheel horsepower and 12 more wheel torque. Remember... this was all done on 91oct. We ran out of time to do 93oct testing, so expect a few more with 93 and the EVOMSit being able to use the higher ignition maps. The addition of these parts took us to 335whp and 282wtq.

Last edited by sharkster; 09-12-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: corrected torque reading from dyno graph
Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 PM
jex
jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !
You need a shop in Los Angeles...

Old 09-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by jex
You need a shop in Los Angeles...
Aw thanks man We've gotten a few cars from there on the truck before but RSS is down there

Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Moving Chicane is infamous around these partsMoving Chicane is infamous around these parts
Was this the same car as that at VCR (Supercar Sunday) yesterday morning? Looked very nice in person, but I missed hearing it leaving.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Slowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane
Was this the same car as that at VCR (Supercar Sunday) yesterday morning? Looked very nice in person, but I missed hearing it leaving.

Yeah, that was the RS370 and I met Turbo Mike, he was driving it. The RS370 sure looks like a great set up. I think I am going to go over to RSS and spend more time checking it out.Turbo Mike said the RS370 would be at RSS the week of the 15th.

Last edited by Slowcart; 09-15-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
gbwrench is infamous around these parts
I had a chance to see this car at Road Sport Supply last week. It's definitely nicely done. The engine sounds great and the Cargraphic exhaust has a nice throaty sound. The car handles great and is not shy about rocketing around turns.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

FYI this batch of IPD Competition Plenums is now shipping so let us know if you want a kit.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:54 AM
Slowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sharkster
Thanks for the feedback guys!

FYI this batch of IPD Competition Plenums is now shipping so let us know if you want a kit.

Alex,

I got a chance to go check out the RS370 at Road Sport Supply and go for a ride and this is the best package for the Cayman S that I have seen by far.

After viewing the dynos I figured this package should produce a nice bump in performance but after going for a spin in the RS370 I could not believe what the RS370 can do.

The RS370 has more HP & torque everywhere and is so much faster & pulls so much harder that I decided on the spot that the RS370 is must have.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Slowcart
Alex,

I got a chance to go check out the RS370 at Road Sport Supply and go for a ride and this is the best package for the Cayman S that I have seen by far.

After viewing the dynos I figured this package should produce a nice bump in performance but after going for a spin in the RS370 I could not believe what the RS370 can do.

The RS370 has more HP & torque everywhere and is so much faster & pulls so much harder that I decided on the spot that the RS370 is must have.
Hey Slowcart, really glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback Looking forward to bringing her back up to NorCal next week

Old 09-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor
Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !
I finally had a chance to drive the RS370 Cayman S yesterday. I took it from Costa Mesa, CA to San Jose, CA (a distance of 380 miles). Being from SharkWerks, it may be hard to see my post as unbiased, but I think I've driven this Cayman as much as anyone for one long drive. Alex sat in the passenger seat for the drive and could add his experiences as well.

Traffic, low speeds
I was in traffic on I405 for about 30-40 minutes at the start of the drive. I'd guess the average speed during this section was about 30 MPH, with several complete stops / bumper-to-bumper. The car drove like a stock Porsche. The idle was consistent. There was no shuddering from low speeds, or stalling out of gear or otherwise. The car threw no codes or gave any indication it was modified during this time. The throttle response is very quick but easy to manage. I did not stall the car once from a stop. During this time it was obvious the car was quick, but I could not judge its acceleration. I only noted that it took little throttle to get back up to speed.

Cruising
I drove several hundred miles at speeds between 60 and 85 MPH. Even in 6th gear at 50 MPH, the car had more than enough torque to pass without downshifting. I could get from 60 to "in trouble" quickly, even keeping the RPMs well out of the powerband (~3000). This is the case of most flat-6s, but to me the lower RPM torque felt like a 3.8 car.

The drive from LA to the bay area includes several hill climbs, especially the grapevine and highway 152. Sometimes I'd downshift just because the lightweight flywheel made it so fun, but I typically just left it in 6th. The mileage was around 25.0 MPG.

Cargraphic Exhaust
The RS370 car has a Cargraphic exhaust, headers, and cats. It has aggressive tips and I imagined (looking at the car as RSS rolled it out of the shop to leave on Saturday), that I had an unpleasant drive ahead of me. I expected drone and resosance, which I've seen with most exhausts on 986/987s.

The Cargraphic was quieter than I thought. When cruising at 70-80+ MPH, it's close to stock. When I gave the throttle a little kick it made some noise and reminded me that there's a big exhaust back there, but for the purposes of road trips and freeway cruising, I could not imagine a better exhaust for this car. The Toyo tires on the car were significantly louder than the exhaust. You could clearly hear them, while the exhaust was subtlety humming in the background.

Last time I was in the car, it had the Remus system, which sounded fantastic. The only drawback for the Remus (IMO) was that it was really loud at freeway speeds. You could not escape that sound vibrating the cabin unless you drove really fast or used a lower gear.

The Cargraphic was loud enough to please me. It sounded great from inside the car, especially at higher RPMs. I have not heard the exhaust from outside the car (Just Alex pulling a test run in front of RSS' shop ), but have driven quite a bit with the windows down and liked the sound. I am trying to get the camera gear ready to film some videos today since we finally have the car back at the shop.

RS370
I had many chances to romp on the gas once I was out of LA, but waited until we were off I5 to have a real go at it. I first jumped on the gas leaving the gas station at Kettleman City, accelerating toward I5, then onto the onramp heading north. I only took the RPMs to 5000 RPMs, and I know Alex was hoping I'd rev it higher. I decided to wait until there was nobody else around.

A while later I pulled off the freeway, and onto 152. There was a large open stretch of highway leading to the reservoir and no cars in sight. I jumped on the gas from 2nd gear at about 20 MPH and stayed in the gas until about 95 MPH. It felt good at lower RPMs, but went through them pretty quick. Then when the car hit 4000 RPMs, it's like a switch was flipped. Pure evil. It felt like forced induction: adding a bunch more power suddenly, then all the way up to 7000 RPMs. Look at the graph for the dyno and you can see this peak that starts to ascend rapidly around 5000 RPMs and I thought I could feel every pixel of it.

Until yesterday, Alex had not been in the car with all these recent modifications. After that proper run, he yelled out "Now try that in a stock Cayman!". He also said "this car's a beast" at least a few times. I agree. I knew it would be faster with all these new mods, but the way the power is delivered was really surprising. I'm hoping video will demonstrate this "effect", or you can get a ride in the car so you can feel it for yourself.

We were both exhausted from the trip and drive, so I took it relatively easy after that, only using the power to pass a couple times and just enjoyed the suspension and tires around the 152 bends.

I hope to get more seat time in the car soon. It was nice meeting the RSS guys, thanks for hosting.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:20 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Any group buy for the RS350 kit?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 AM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it needs a little Fred enhancements

very soon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SharkWerks Cayman Pumped up with new EVOMSit & RS350 Kit