Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driven boxster owners enter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Maibox is infamous around these parts
I drive my 02 S every day from April to October in Wisconsin. Got it in July 06 with 32k miles. It has 52k right now. Pros: great handling, braking, acceleration, top down motoring; Cons: a bit impractical--only one passenger (may not matter--I need a 4 passenger for business), limited trunk space, tire wear (I get one season on a set of rears--about 6,000 miles); maintenance costs (see comments below).

While I've listed limited trunk space as a con, it does have a remarkable amount of space for a convertible sports car. It has enough space for 2 for a long weekend getaway (and my wife doesn't know the meaning of the phrase "packing light"). You certainly won't want to make a major run to Costco or Sam's Club in it, but we've gotten 5 or 6 plastic grocery bags in the front trunk (don't put anything perishable in the rear trunk unless you want to keep it warm--beer up front, pizza in the back).

Of course, the ride is firm, but I've never thought to myself I wish I was driving something different because of it and the roads in Wisconsin can be brutal. Back in the day, I had a 95 4dr Acura GSR that probably has a harsher ride.

I've found maintenance costs to be a bit higher than average compared to my other vehicles. Parts are not cheap and labor at P-car dealers is higher than domestic dealers. You can, however, find good independent shops that are more reasonable.

The 01 S has a plastic rear-window. It can get scratched and faded over time. Factor into the cost of ownership a new rear window (and potentially a new top). There are many threads on here and the rennlist boards discussing the costs.

I say go for it. Sounds like you are getting a good deal. Worst case if you don't like it is that you sell it for what you bought it for.

BTW--I have '66 Mustang Coupe, original as well.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:52 AM
txhokie4life is infamous around these parts
I daily drive a 350Z Roadster. As I tell folks, not very practical
but a lot of fun to drive.

I live in Texas -- so I top down drive year round. I don't mind the heat.

The Z only has a rear trunk.

I'm happily married and have an 8yr old daughter -- thought that only having 2 seats would be an issue -- but rarely in the last 18 months since
I picked up the Z has it been even remotely a problem.

I will say you have to plan your day around what you are hauling around.
I can fit a gym bag, some sports gear and my laptop bag in the Z trunk
(barely). Often times the passenger seat serves as my second storage
area.

I'm moving to a '00 S -- so I'm looking foreward to having 2 trunks!

She's supposed to arrive tomorrow -- then spend a few months of rebuilding.

Z lease is up in Jan '09 -- then its the Boxster's turn to be my daily driver.

M

m

Old 09-03-2008, 11:13 AM
fishage is infamous around these parts
I have daily driven my 02 base for the past two years with about 40k miles over that span. I keep a set of 17"s with Pirelli SnowSports and a set with summers to make season switching nice and easy. Never had a problem with the winters here (Philly/Delaware). Ground clearance is an issue when I visit home (NH) mid-storm, but with the traction control left on and the SnowSports on all four, I've had no problems with traction once I'm shoveled out of the the parking spot.

The number of pits in the bumper from rocks, winter salting trucks, etc bugged me for a while. But once I resolved myself to having the bumper redone when its no longer the daily ride, I've been pretty happy over all.

The small interior heats up quickly (even with the plastic rear in the 02 without rear defrost). Scratching the plastic is a concern with an ice scraper/snow brush, but nothing that some plastic polish hasn't helped out with. Interior also cools down really quickly for those oppressively muggy afternoons where top-down goodness can't be had.

Having both trunks has made it quite reasonable for shopping trips, but airport runs are a much different story. Make sure any guests visiting you know that two medium/smaller bags are much better than one large bag. Maybe tell them twice.

Maintenance has been expensive, but that is par for this course.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 PM
gdmboxster is infamous around these parts
I don't DD mine cause I work nights and don't want to leave it unattended all night in some parking lot. But I think it would make a fine DD.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
I also don't daily drive mine, but I can't see it being a problem if I had to.
I say buy it and enjoy it!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 AM
jex
jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !jex Is a GOD !
I DD my 05 Boxster S and I love it. It gets great gas mileage (I can get high 20s when I have a light foot), a nice ride, can't beat top-down days, no mechanical issues at all, plus you get out of having to drive when groups go out to lunch ... "but I only can take one person!"

I only have one small pet peeve about the Boxster ... if you mistakenly hit one of the trunk buttons when you're getting in, the warning light for the trunk only comes on after you put your seatbelt on. I can't tell you how frustrating that is to have the chime nagging you to put your belt on and then once you do it tells you to get out and close the trunk.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jex
I DD my 05 Boxster S and I love it. It gets great gas mileage (I can get high 20s when I have a light foot), a nice ride, can't beat top-down days, no mechanical issues at all, plus you get out of having to drive when groups go out to lunch ... "but I only can take one person!"

I only have one small pet peeve about the Boxster ... if you mistakenly hit one of the trunk buttons when you're getting in, the warning light for the trunk only comes on after you put your seatbelt on. I can't tell you how frustrating that is to have the chime nagging you to put your belt on and then once you do it tells you to get out and close the trunk.
That's interesting, I've never had that happen before.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
soooo....just checking in with you mr. techartdreamer. =) did you do it???

Old 09-05-2008, 11:37 AM
TechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Going to look at it and drive it around on Sunday.

-Markus-

Old 09-07-2008, 10:55 AM
tmtacq is infamous around these parts
Late to the party and not a Boxster owner, but I DD my S2000 and it is great. Of course a sedan would be easier to live with at times, or even a 4 passenger coupe for that matter, but factoring in the smiles/miles I wouldn't trade it for anything. Sometimes you have to think ahead about larger purchases, going places in groups, etc... Fortunately I don't drink and offer to drive friends vehicles when they want to go out drinking, and as repayment for being their chauffeur they will let me use their vehicles if I need more space for something.

An odd problem I ran into not long ago was that my favorite shotgun for shooting sporting clays doesn't fit in my trunk, so it has to ride(forgive the pun) shotgun when I go shooting, which subsequently means I can not have a passenger and my sporting clays shotgun in the car at the same time. Also, while legal in NY state to have a gun in the passenger compartment, as long as the ammo is safely stowed in the trunk, it would most certainly make getting pulled over a fiasco. The obvious solution is to find a new sporting clays shotgun that breaks down and fits in the trunk - a good problem to have!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:20 PM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
LOL one of the deciding factor for me was I had to make sure my rifles can fit in the rear trunk, and they did.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:18 AM
jeci is infamous around these parts
I drive me 07 S DD and I love it!

Its reasonably practical with two boots! And Tip Box makes traffic a doodle!

I say we who uses our Box daily are more lucky!

Life too short not to!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:32 AM
GearDriven is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ekam
LOL one of the deciding factor for me was I had to make sure my rifles can fit in the rear trunk, and they did.
When I first bought a miata in 2003. The deciding factor for me was fitting rifles in the trunk

Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Boxster Boy is infamous around these parts
I commute 60mi a day with no issues. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Do it Marcuss!!!!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daily driven boxster owners enter