Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is my interior pieces paint pealing off? it's very annoying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 AM
pekopeeus is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down why is my interior pieces paint pealing off? it's very annoying

This is not my first time and This is not my second time. My A/C ( temp ) ( low high ) buttons are like flaking apart. I don't think I can order the buttons either. I think I have to order the whole a/c assembly. This is a minor issue but it all adds up to really disappoint me. The quality of the porsche shouldn't be like this in my opinion. Also I am in Taiwan now and my car is not an authorized local porsche so I get no warranty. So I guess my solution is the paint the buttons. ( this really sucks )

A quick snap shot of my interior with the same type of paint that porsche uses on most of the interior parts.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:59 PM
CaymenSKid is infamous around these parts
I had the some problem with my 987s. Porsche calls is "soft touch," thats the type of paint, or what every they use for most interior parts. Anyway,i brought my car in to Reeves porsche in Tampa FL and they warranted all the pieces that were peeling including that A/C and Temp buttons. So if you haven't all ready bring it in to service and see if they will warranty it out, they did mine.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
It's a flaw in the new design. Porsche should cover it under warranty.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 AM
speedyousuf is infamous around these parts
cut your nails:P

Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
jaxbch987 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speedyousuf
cut your nails:P
thats funny.

i had my a/c regulator switch peel, brought it in to brumos porsche and they had it replaced under warranty. i must say though, even though my car is still under warranty, i always think about that as i crank up the air.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:02 AM
CaymenSKid is infamous around these parts
Yeah, especially when the warranty expires

Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 AM
socal is infamous around these parts
Same problem in my car!

Old 09-24-2008, 03:52 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
same here. it is looking pretty dang tacky! i have the with door handle peeling. how long is a warranty usually good for? i'm assuming mine is expired. it's an 01 with 49K miles.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by pekopeeus
Also I am in Taiwan now and my car is not an authorized local porsche so I get no warranty. So I guess my solution is the paint the buttons. ( this really sucks )
you guys really gotta stop telling him to take his car in to get it fixed under warranty, when that's clearly not an option.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 AM
arenared is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
same here. it is looking pretty dang tacky! i have the with door handle peeling. how long is a warranty usually good for? i'm assuming mine is expired. it's an 01 with 49K miles.
While I can't speak for 987 soft touch (although probably the same/similar), it is not normal on the 986. The most often-cited cause is using "Armor All" type protectants. Some of them will cause the finish to lift as apparently will some sunscreens, etc., if the finish is repeatedly slathered in the stuff. For a while Porsche was denying warranty claims due to "chemical contamination". There is some "detailer wisdom" to only use water-based products on the soft touch which is all I have ever used. Water-based products are typically milky-white colored while oil/solvent-based ones are clear. Note that I have not had any peeling problems, so this is 3rd-party information. I was a little taken back by the previous detailer's post that it's a flaw in the design.