Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the ideal power band for the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:01 PM
gbwrench is infamous around these parts
What's the ideal power band for the track?

I was on the track at the Speed Ventures ROVAL event last weekend and wanted to get advice on the ideal power band for a Cayman S. I kept the RPM's pretty high and sometimes hit the rev limiter (7000 rpm). Not my proudest driving moment but I didn't feel like I was accelerating out of the turns fast enough with the engine under 6000 rpm.

Any thoughts, pointers or tips for the track would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-23-2008, 07:23 AM
'ringmeister is infamous around these parts
4.5-7K is the powerband but there will always be situations on track where your gearing is not ideal and you will be forced to choose between a gear that is too low (under 4.5K) or 2 high (have to feather the throttle to avoid bouncing off the limiter, or make an extra shift). if you are fortunate enough to have telematry like a traqmate you actually determine which is quicker, but since its just DE i usually opt for the higher gear to avoid xtra shifts and its a bit easier on the car.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
I noticed on the track if I ride each gear to redline ie: higher then 6500 rpm, my lap time isn't that much faster, but the gas gauge drops really fast. So after several track days, I change gear by 6300-6500 and I get similar lap time, but I don't have to refuel after my third session.