Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S vs C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 PM
GearDriven is infamous around these parts
I chose the boxster because it drives the way I like a car to drive... No desire to move "up". The only thing I envy on the 911 right now is the PCM with XM Nav Traffic and USB port...

Originally Posted by neilwight
i guess so. ive not talked with any boxster or cayman owners who didnt express a desire to move onto a 911 after or who had wanted one but factors prevented it. these vary considerably and can only be made by the individual involved at the time.
to deny that a 911 is a level up from a cayman, certainly in terms of product placement is however to deny facts.

as for the f430, i dont see the validity of this assumption/comparison though it does perhaps serve to highlight where our difference comes from. if my words were less than clear then i apologise.
i was talking purely in terms of the same brand where a strata is clearly defined. by using just the final sentence of my post is to remove the qualifications or context of this same.

taking in different car brands does for sure turn it into a meaningless pissing contest with no way out. a similar comparison to what is on topic here with cayman and 911 would be gallardo and murcielago. when you start to cross between brands it becomes subjective and the topic lacks clear definition.
put simply, the decision to purchase brand A over brand B is a personal choice issue. the decision to purchase one product of brand A over another from brand A is also a personal choice.
the strata of products manufactured by both brand A or brand B can however be clearly defined and quantified. this strata is completely independent of any choice or any other brand.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
NEILWIGHT, I have spent a lot of years anticipating the day when I would park a 911 in my driveway and it still has yet to happen. When the time came to get one, I drove it several times and kept waiting for the light bulb to go off. Then after one of those test drives my sales guy asked if I wanted to check out the Cayman S. I said sure and within a few minutes we were both laughing and grinning ear to ear. I bought it on the spot. I don't miss getting a 911 one bit. Also, very very very few people know the difference between a 911 and a Cayman or Boxster. They see Porsche and its game over. I am sure my ego wanted a 911 but my heart needed a Cayman. I am not knocking the 911 as I am still very enamored of the icon and even moreso now that I have had an ownership experience with the Porsche brand.

To answer the OP's question, if you need practicality you really don't have a choice. If you want a car to stir your soul, a Cayman S is a no brainer.

I want AC/Radio and cruise control, the rest is just distraction. If that doesn't sound like something you can live with, get an AMG or an M3.

If you didn't know, I was speaking to my BMW guy and he said he would do 2K over invoice and 1.9% for 60 mos, on 08 M3's. See if you can that on a Merc.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Deuce1 is infamous around these parts
Having owned a Cayman S for over a year and even heavily modifying it! as well as driving a C63 quite a bit, I would personally choose the C63 anyday over a Cayman S

Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Cayman Cab S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GearDriven
I chose the boxster because it drives the way I like a car to drive... No desire to move "up". The only thing I envy on the 911 right now is the PCM with XM Nav Traffic and USB port...
+1. The only thing I would want is a 911...3.8 DFI engine transplant.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:56 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Cayman Cab S
+1. The only thing I would want is a 911...3.8 DFI engine transplant.
Werd

Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM
CatDog is infamous around these partsCatDog is infamous around these parts
based off of looks and functionality I would personally pick the C63, as I can't see myself getting into track days, and C63 pulls hard on the highways

Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by neilwight
you need to ask yourself with an honest heart if you want a sports car or a fast autobahn wagon. theres no right or wrong answer to it, its purely personal and different situations require different solutions. which one you lean towards will depend on what you want out of it.

IMHO the line gets blurred these days in many peoples minds with saloons being so powerful. as a result many find it hard to differentiate the cars because paper performance is so close. fundamentaly cars are all the same, they carry you around, go round corners etc etc and so theres already so much overlap that it muddies it for many. i can do almost everything in my 911 that i can do in my navigator and vice versa however they are as different as chalk and cheese and so it is with your comparison. big power saloons certainly feel like a sports car when you are bursting along on the freeway, it will eat miles in comfort and silence however will soon feel like a heavy beast and not in the least sporty when the first corner appears. likewise the cayman will go around like its on rails, it will feel involving however it will be cramped, unable to carry more than one person or anything bigger than a gorcery bag and should there be bad weather it will need left at home.
paper figures and what the car offers in terms of fucntion are in no way correlated though and people lose sight of this when car choosing. i read questions such as this all the time so its not just you in this dilemma.

i think you already answered your own question by saying the c63 has features that you need. if you need these things then its an autobahn eater you need/want. dont try and make the cayman something it isnt.

as for the specifics of the two cars in questions. mercedes are terribly poor in terms of quality these days sadly. they arent what they once were. also try and see how the c63 gets its power down. my experience, albeit limited, of big power modern mercs are that they have stacks of grunt but not alot of it is useable as you cant get it down easily.
the big drawback of the cayman is that its not a 911. its a nice car for sure but its always going to be overshadowed in peoples minds by the king of the porsche family. no matter how much power you get out of it, how fast it gets, how balanced the design is it will never be a 911 and so people will view it as being a budget choice. ask anyone who has a cayman for anything other than a pure track car and deep down they know that when a 911 passes they feel it.
Wow, I am feelin for you if all your car choices are about what others think and cruising highways. TAke a few days off and enjoy a real sports car on the kind of roads they are meant for and you will forge a much healthier appreciation of the boxster/caymen. They are a couple of the most fun cars on the road. Period.
I live on the coast and have a place in the inland mountains of N. Cal. One day I was driving inland in my boxster and passed 3 911's going to the coast. I waved and they drove by like I did not exist. Guys thinking like yourself, that they were superior etc.
A few hours later I drove back down to the coast, but this time in my stradale. I happened to pass the same 3 911's going the other way. This time they waved and "thumbed up" etc like we were old friends.
Funny how those things work if thats the way I really felt, I would never leave the house again until I could afford that Zonda!

Old 10-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Cayman Cab S is infamous around these parts
Lmao

Originally Posted by riverflyer
Wow, I am feelin for you if all your car choices are about what others think and cruising highways. TAke a few days off and enjoy a real sports car on the kind of roads they are meant for and you will forge a much healthier appreciation of the boxster/caymen. They are a couple of the most fun cars on the road. Period.
I live on the coast and have a place in the inland mountains of N. Cal. One day I was driving inland in my boxster and passed 3 911's going to the coast. I waved and they drove by like I did not exist. Guys thinking like yourself, that they were superior etc.
A few hours later I drove back down to the coast, but this time in my stradale. I happened to pass the same 3 911's going the other way. This time they waved and "thumbed up" etc like we were old friends.
Funny how those things work if thats the way I really felt, I would never leave the house again until I could afford that Zonda!
Great story. Funny, I live by the Bay and have a 2nd home in Truckee. When I drive another car to the mountains, it's a VW Eurovan or an Audi during the winter. Lots of people to wave to.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 PM
niqui is infamous around these parts
my main issue with the cayman s was the crappy interior for the price, but now i finally found one in stock that is practically fully loaded, nav, turbo wheels, etc...so now it gets closer...c63 i would have to wait till dec, but it would be brand new, cayman s 2007 with 7k km, i could have next week and save 8k$., im going to see this cayman, supposedly its got tons of options, so then ill take it, otherwise c63 it is...
anybody find the cayman s lacking in power for merging and fun driving?

Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by niqui
my main issue with the cayman s was the crappy interior for the price, but now i finally found one in stock that is practically fully loaded, nav, turbo wheels, etc...so now it gets closer...c63 i would have to wait till dec, but it would be brand new, cayman s 2007 with 7k km, i could have next week and save 8k$., im going to see this cayman, supposedly its got tons of options, so then ill take it, otherwise c63 it is...
sorry to break it to you but the stock cayman S interior is nicer and MUCH better quality and fit & finish than a any BMW or Mercedes. stock, youre not getting much option wise, but its very clean, sporty, driver oriented ****pit (like a jet) and fit and finish it top notch!
the cayman S doesnt lack any power for passing...it has 3.88 gears which apply good tq multiplication and thus makes it feel tq'ier than it is. it is superlight, and great aerodynamics so that makes a difference too. its faster than an e46 m3 and a z4m coupe, and people think both of those are fast.
and without a doubt, the cayman S is one of the funest cars ive EVER driven, period.

Last edited by PorscheC4; 11-05-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:38 PM
SD1
My C55 had a nice interior but the Cayman was very good, now true story, my Cayman had 7000 in exclusive options (I bought it used) so that didn't hurt the cause. I think if the interior is an issue, you should def. find one with the leather wrapped sport steering wheel and sport leather seats. Those two additions alone make a notable difference IMO, but to be honest, its a pure drivers car and you really need to get past your questions. Like Greg says above, it is the funnest car he has driven and mine too. I have had a Vette, S2000, M3 (competition pkg) and a C55 and the Cayman was by far the funnest. I drove a 911 about ten times and never bought one, first real joyride in a Cayman and I was driving it home 30 minutes later. Honestly, if the C63 really appeals to you, get that. That is transportation, the Cayman is an experience.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 PM
to be honest, the porsche was always in my heart...there is something about rowing your own gears , even in the snow, up mountains, in rush hour that i enjoy...but when i first saw the center stack of the cayman it broke my heart. im not saying the c63 is an sclass, cause its far from it, but that was my main deterrent...
now i have finally found one with nave and leather and turbo rims, really the way id want it to be, so im going to see it tmr, if its good, ill buy it, otherwise c63 is a good second choice in my opinion.
i agree the quality of the interior on the cayman is high, but lacking...
just curious, any big diffs between 08 and 07 caymans?
thanks again

Old 11-05-2008, 02:45 PM
curious somebody said the c63 is transportation and the cayman s an experience....
not mocking you, its just ive never heard of the c63 reffered to as transportation before...
i just thought that maybe the cayman s was lacking in juice, as i dont get much time in the twisties, more straight lines and slight curves, so acceleration is also important. but im sure its got more than enough. when i drove it , i was having fun...but i think that was partly cause it was my first porsche and manual...

Old 11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
SD1
curious somebody said the c63 is transportation and the cayman s an experience....
not mocking you, its just ive never heard of the c63 reffered to as transportation before...
i just thought that maybe the cayman s was lacking in juice, as i dont get much time in the twisties, more straight lines and slight curves, so acceleration is also important. but im sure its got more than enough. when i drove it , i was having fun...but i think that was partly cause it was my first porsche and manual...
Just being honest, the AMG is a great car but mine never stirred me. I mean it was fun to punch it and hold on and it handled well, absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it wasn't the "I can't wait to get back in it" feeling I got with the Cayman.

As far as power, its not weak at all, its not a sledge hammer though. I kept pace with some very fast exotics on spirited drives, I would get pulled on the straights but reeled people back in in the curves. It was damn fun every where I went, I could not begin to say that about the AMG.

If you are into this kind of thing, people are way more deferential to the Porsche. I didn't think much about it but most people don't know a Boxster from a GT2, they see the Crest and they know you got a little somethin going on. Its fun in small doses.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 PM
thanks, so cayman s is surprsingly the more fun car...
i couldnt care less about people knowing whether my porsche costs 60g or 150g...it doesnt bother me, most people will probabaly think im the valet..

anyways, do you think an 07 with low mileage is too old...?>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman S vs C63 AMG