Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyundai Genesis 0-60 faster than Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:58 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
They also ran it against a base boxster with a tiptronic tranny.

Maybe I should trade my car in for a Hyundai.

Last edited by boxtaboy; 02-27-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 AM
andyman32 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by boxtaboy
Maybe I should trade my car in for a Hyundai.
Heh, I wouldn't go THAT far...
The new Genesis Coupe is pretty hot though, RWD and 220hp turbo I4 or 306hp NA V6. Could be fun. That might be a relevant comparison to the Boxster. Sort of.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
I saw one on the freeway the other day, and i didn't know what it was, since the hyundai owner removed all his badging and emblems. He kept looking at my car and tried to pass me!

I laughed first, but since I didn't know what kind of car it was, i decided to play and line up then go. We both floored it and I was gone. I saw a badged one the other day along with the "faster than a porsche" ad, and finally figured the proud hyundai owner wanted to see his car pass a Porsche.

LOSER!

But aside from the Genesis being a nice car with ******-bag owners, I still have to say that the Boxster is a great car for top down driving and mid-engine dynamic bliss! If you haven't driven one, you're missing out!

Last edited by spyder997s; 02-27-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Hmm... yeah. I hope it wasn't a 3.8 (v6) genesis, but if it was de-badged, it probably was. Even the 4.6 is most definitely NOT anywhere near as fast as a 997. This is what I'm talking about... I'm afraid that that particular Hyundai marketing video has encouraged a healthy dose of abject stupidity in some daft new Genesis owners. Not long before you see an Elantra trying to to race you out of a stoplight, I'm sure... oh well.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by andyman32
Hmm... yeah. I hope it wasn't a 3.8 (v6) genesis, but if it was de-badged, it probably was. Even the 4.6 is most definitely NOT anywhere near as fast as a 997. This is what I'm talking about... I'm afraid that that particular Hyundai marketing video has encouraged a healthy dose of abject stupidity in some daft new Genesis owners. Not long before you see an Elantra trying to to race you out of a stoplight, I'm sure... oh well.
I thought the car looked nice, which was why I decided to play. It was a new black one with all the emblems/badges removed. It has a nice front grill and I've never seen one before, so I thought it was some custom vehicle or something.

Yeah, i think the Genesis owner felt down after I dusted him. I slowed down so I could see him and give him a thumbs up for trying, but he just kept looking straight down the road and tried his best to stay behind me. Oh well.

After I found out it was a hyundai, I felt like a dumbass for racing one

Old 02-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Andyman32--Welcome to the forum. It is even-keeled guys like you that I respect. I really don't give a $hit what type of car anyone owns or how much they can afford on this forum. I care that they realize that we all love cars, whether ricers, p-cars, or vettes....it doesn't matter. Thanks for your input.

Now, let's all have a group hug.

Dave

Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SSMCL-S6
even if the boxster was fast, the hyundai still beats the ***** in the boxster on a cell phone...boxster is a girls car...its as much a waste as a random japanese car company no one cares about making a 375HP sedan for no reason except to have styling ripped off of a benz...no, or just as much as supercharging a boxster ^.
You, not so much respect.....

Dave

Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the welcome... cars, I do love. More, perhaps, than my wife would prefer. Although I'm more of a luxury-sport chap, rather than raw performance. And there's certainly nothing wrong with having a little fun, tangling with a fancy fast-looking Asian sedan. Unfortunately some Genesis owners - as with many BMW owners it seems, when I was playing around with BMWs - seem to think that debadging the entry-level model adds 50hp to the V6... not that the V6 is a slouch, it just isn't up to racing. I've often poked around looking at Boxsters and Cayennes myself... though I am tempted by Lotus Esprit... have been since childhood, practically. I turn wrenches on my own cars, so perhaps it wouldn't be a bad undertaking.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
gaby is infamous around these parts
My WRX is faster than a stock 911turbo, but it is just a Subaru.
My friend has a 10 second Honda Civic, but it is just a Honda.
My wife's RAV4 is faster than my Boxster, but is just an SUV.
Now,,,,, when i go to a valet parking, twisty roads, to the gim, everywhere, I drive my Porsche Boxster. The feel and the response can not be describe in a 0-60 time slip. We don't pay over 50k to play for PINKS on a 10 second 1985 Ford Mustang.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
DSSA is infamous around these parts
While I agree with the above post there's something to be said about a car that handles/accelerates faster then a $50K for $25K regardless of its make.

I've had plenty of "cheaper" cars that would outrun a lot of the modified 911 Turbos, and yes, I'm currently chasing a 996TT for my next purchase. But it's also been nice to be able to have the performance for a lot less initial money laid out, less in maintainance, and cheaper to modify by far.

I doubt I'll tear into a 996 TT like I have with the other cars (including my Z06) for fear of tossing something as well.

End of day--yes, it's still just a "XXXX", but it's all in what your priorities are.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Teuton is infamous around these parts
Just was surfing the site and noticed this thread. The assertion that the Hyundia is quicker than the base model Boxster therefore making it a better car is absurd and laughable. Straight-line is only part of the equation for a great car, feedback, balance, braking and power all contribute. The fact that the Hyundai is only marginally quicker than a base model boxter says nothing.

Boxsters are wonderfully balanced cars and are easier to drive quickly than 911s. In the right hands, a Boxster can run much more powerful cars at the autocross. Boxster S's can easily keep up if not pass 911 C2s on track with the right driver.

In my eyes, comparing a bloated numb sedan to arguably one of the best roadsters is silly. At the end of the day it's a sedan and not a performance car and will provide none of the joy the boxster can. Anyone can draw the same conclusion of any 300+hp sedan which will put you to sleep to drive vs a pure sportscar like the boxster.

Where the Hyundai is better than the Boxster? Interior room, trunk space and price. Performance? Hardly

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Ummmmm......I have two "trunks" in my Boxster, the Hyundai only has one..

I win.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
What isn't faster in a straight line than a base Tiptronic Boxster?

And yeah I think with this economy we may see a day when hell will freeze over and Hyundai will have an aspirational car. Until the point the Dow crosses 3,000 I myself will not be losing sleep over Hyundai's...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:46 PM
gaby is infamous around these parts
If you are going to meet your future in-laws. Will you prefer to pickup their lovely daughter in a PORSCHE, or would you rather show your big income ( I'll be able to support your daughter) in a Hyundai.

I used to drive a 1980 Corolla when I was 16, so I know that people judge by what you drive.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM
hotsauce is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by andyman32
Hi, just browsed to this thread and had to comment, I'm pretty fond of Hyundai's new stuff, we own two Azeras and they are quick and very nice cars. The Genesis is spectacular, I'll definitely buy a 4.6 in a year or two, once the hype has died down a little. But it's just not a sports car - not a roadster, not a drag racer. I thought that comparison to a Boxster was kind of low-brow... you take a butter knife out of the drawer and laugh and point fingers because it can't cut through aluminum cans.

Plus, it's not really all that flattering to say, off the line, our flagship 375hp V8 car can move just marginally faster than a 245hp roadster.

The Genesis is also probably faster 0-60 than a Mazda Miata...

And VW Eurobus...

But probably not a 911 turbo. Or a Mercedes E63. Or an Acura NSX. Or... etc. etc. etc.

They had to cast about to find a sports car with a recognizable brand name that COULDN'T beat the Genesis and the only option on the entire planet just happened to be the base-model Boxster.

Oh well. To most folks, it probably looks like a Herculean feat on the part of the Genesis. They just smile and nod and drool on themselves and accept the thought, "Genesis is faster than Porsches..."

Cheers,
Andy
I'm happy some people are standing up for the Hyundai. I think it's a spectactular car. And so do the critics.

I happen to think the same way about the Boxter. Good thing they don't compete.

Two ENTIRELY different vehicles. Both pretty good at what they do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis 0-60 faster than Boxster