Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire wear: 07 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Crazed1 is infamous around these parts
Rear tire wear: 07 Boxster S

Hey All:

I'm running the factory Bridgestone Potenza's on my car and turned over 7000 miles a bit ago. I had these tires taken off the Carerra Classics and mounted on a set of Champion RS98's. When I picked the car up from the shop, they told me that the rears were wearing quickly and that I would want to keep an eye on them. Sure enough, I checked them when I got home and the inside edge is about an 1/8th of an inch away from the wear bars.

I know the Potenza's are a max performance summer tire and that they are reasonably soft. I also realize that the car is mid engine/rear drive and that the rears would be expected to wear somewhat quickly. I know the alignment on the car from Porsche is aggressive, at least more so then a lot of cars. There is a fair amount of negative camber in the rear setup.

The car has not been on a track or auto-X'ed. It's driven in a spirited fashion, but reasonably in my opinion. No dumping of the clutch at 5K RPM's, no smokey launches. In fact, I don't remember ever chirping the tires.

My question: Are other folks seeing similar wear in 7K miles? I think I'll be lucky to get 8500 or 9000 miles out of these rear tires. Not that I necessarily mind replacing them, just trying to figure out if I have an alignment problem or something.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:58 AM
chaud
Sounds about right to me... I got about 8-9k miles on my last set of tires... I just put on some Pirelli PZero's and they're wearing pretty quickly already as well...

Old 10-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
I got 20K miles out of the OEM Conti's which I thought was amazing. We got 4K miles out of the OEM MPSC's on our GT3 and the Yoko's on our Lotus....so you are doing pretty well.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:08 AM
djmiroku is infamous around these parts
I had OEM Contis as well. They seemed like they were in fine shape up to 6500 miles when I got them replaced with Michelin PS2.

I had to replace the conti's because I got a chunk of metal in one of the rears, but they couldnt replace it (I had bought the wheel and tire insurance when I bought my car) due to lack of stock so PCNA and my dealership basically hooked me up me a whole new set of tires

Old 10-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks Gents...

It almost looks like I'll be doing a 2 for 1 kind of thing. In other words, 2 sets of rear tires for every set of fronts. The front tires are wearing slower...quite a bit slower.

A pic of the new rims:

Attached Images  

Last edited by Crazed1; 10-11-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:35 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I don't know if you can make a comparison, but I have an '06 Cayman S with the original Michelin Pilots. I drive much like you do. I now have 21,000 miles on the car and from the looks of it I think I could get another 20,000 out of them. And, they are wearing evenly, front to back.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
every mid or rear engined car i have ever had went thru 2 rears to 1 front set.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks again for the feedback. This is my first Porsche AND mid-engine so I really didn't know what to expect...

Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
I'm going to put on new rear tires tomorrow! My OEM tires went through 36k miles and these are only getting 14k miles. Like you, the inside of the tires wore, but not the outside. I thought it might be to some sort of loading problem!

Any tire guys out there that can comment?

Dave

Old 10-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey Dave...you reference tires but didn't say what they were. The inside of the tire wears quicker due to the alignment in the rear...there is quite a bit of negative camber. It's setup this way for better cornering. The downside is the inside of the tire wears faster. You play you pay...

Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Dave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond repute
I've got Bridgestones also, got to keep an eye on it.
Crazed - Your Champion RS98 look great, anymore pics ?

Last edited by Dave(MA 02 C4S); 10-16-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dave(MA 02 C4S)
I've got Bridgestones also, got to keep an eye on it.
Crazed - Your Champion RS98 look great, anymore pics ?
As requested sir

Attached Images    
Old 10-19-2008, 08:06 AM
humveelat is infamous around these parts
Great rims mate.. One of a kind wheels..Really great!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:25 AM
equ
equ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Crazed1
Hey All:

I'm running the factory Bridgestone Potenza's on my car and turned over 7000 miles a bit ago. I had these tires taken off the Carerra Classics and mounted on a set of Champion RS98's. When I picked the car up from the shop, they told me that the rears were wearing quickly and that I would want to keep an eye on them. Sure enough, I checked them when I got home and the inside edge is about an 1/8th of an inch away from the wear bars.

I know the Potenza's are a max performance summer tire and that they are reasonably soft. I also realize that the car is mid engine/rear drive and that the rears would be expected to wear somewhat quickly. I know the alignment on the car from Porsche is aggressive, at least more so then a lot of cars. There is a fair amount of negative camber in the rear setup.

The car has not been on a track or auto-X'ed. It's driven in a spirited fashion, but reasonably in my opinion. No dumping of the clutch at 5K RPM's, no smokey launches. In fact, I don't remember ever chirping the tires.

My question: Are other folks seeing similar wear in 7K miles? I think I'll be lucky to get 8500 or 9000 miles out of these rear tires. Not that I necessarily mind replacing them, just trying to figure out if I have an alignment problem or something.

Thanks!
I have 18" michelin PS2's at nearly 15,000 miles on my 06 Cayman S. The wear is noticeable in the rears but there is still some life left. I'd describe my driving similarly, spirited but no burnouts, donuts, track or auto-x.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by humveelat
Great rims mate.. One of a kind wheels..Really great!
Thanks! I really like them too

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear tire wear: 07 Boxster S