Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-= rs350; a very thorough review (dyno) =-

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
Time to get her out to Streets or Buttonwillow and stretch her legs a bit.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:33 PM
princealidds is infamous around these parts
Great review!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Excellent review!

Every time I drive a Cayman, I become more and more impressed. I agree with Sharky....this car doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Update on this? how has the car treated you "in the real world" with this kit installed???

Old 06-17-2009, 04:48 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
Can't believe it's already been 8 months already! Guess it's time for an update.

Let's get the boring stuff out of the way:

I've logged over 7000 miles on the car since the install, and the car has not skipped a beat. Not a single hiccup, no extra maintenance, no strange leaks, and still no headache from the exhaust. Just perfect. I wake up every morning, hop into the car, fire it up and 25 minutes later pulling into the garage with a stupid grin on my face even after 8 months.

My MPG has gone up from 18.0 to just over 20.0. This is overall average with both highway and city, fairly clear roads in the morning and rush hour traffic in the afternoon.

A lot of people complain about exhaust drone depending on the setup and brand they end up buying. I'm very happy to report not having any droning with my Milltek cat-back exhaust. Idling, there's a noticeably lower, louder rumble and the car just barks above 5k and all the way to redline. Great setup for the daily driver.

Now the more interesting stuff:

The bad news is even after me soliciting on the board to do some comparative driving against other n/a setups, I haven't gotten any bites. However, here's what I've been able to determine.

1. the car is definitely faster than stock. not just butt dyno fast. My review first revealed a substantial increase from stock, but beyond that, I've had the opportunity to make some pulls against other Cayman S from a roll, and the RS350 is the clear winner, usually by 4-5 car lengths.

Against other cars that I use to pull dead even with, lightly modified E46 M3s, I've been able to handily walk away from since the RS350.

Recently, I was able to pull dead even with a 6 speed manual E92 M3. In fact, from a roll, I would easily jump 2 cars because of the weight difference, and it wouldn't be until a certain not-to-be-disclosed speed, does it start to catch up.

2. while the dyno charts clearly show a substantial increase in torque across the mid range, it is most noticeable during day to day driving. Being able to quickly pull ahead of someone in lower gears, and not having to downshift to pass on the free way is something that I use on a daily basis.

3. for the price I paid by piecing used and new parts together ($3500), this was a steal! The big thing for me is we're not talking about upgrades that you'd only be able to use on the track, or in the twisties. This is power that is useable every day, to and from work. The added sound is just icing on the cake = )

What now?

We all know 99% of the people out there will already have their hands full with the stock Cayman S. Most of us on the board will want a little bit more. For me, I think the RS350 is a GREAT setup. For the amount of $ I paid, it was absolutely worth every penny for the added enjoyment I get out of the car on a daily basis. Given the same option, would I have gone with the RS350 setup again? ABSOLUTELY. Does that mean I'm done? Probably not.

If what you want is a Cayman S that behaves like the day you bought it with a little bit more grunt without breaking the piggy bank, this is the hands down way to do it. However, if you know you want earth shattering power that can spin the globe backwards and have the $10k+ to spend, then you may want to skip this step and explore other options like built motors and/or force induction because going beyond this, you're looking at spending that much $ anyways, with far less HP to show for it.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I take it you did not do the LWF.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:39 AM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
no, i did not. i do plan to do so when my clutch gives out. but spending the $ on labor to take apart the transmission to replace the LWFW before the clutch is due for replacement only to do it again later doesn't seem too efficient. plus i'm skeptical how much of an improvement it'd make given that it'd cost($1100 parts + $800 or more for labor) more than 50% of how much I had already spent on the RS350 kit ($3500). But since I didn't do it personally, I can't really comment on it = )

if you did do the LWFW with your RS350, would you care to share your experiences?

Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
mrwonder is infamous around these parts
The labor cost is keeping me from the LWF as well.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Gave a fellow board member a ride in the RS350 today, looks like we got another believer = )

Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 PM
chaud is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by notquitefob
Gave a fellow board member a ride in the RS350 today, looks like we got another believer = )
I'm in SD too, and I might have to take you up on that offer too I've got a 986 right now, but have been considering switching up to a 987... and that RS350 definitely sounds like the icing on the cake...

Old 06-21-2009, 02:04 PM
always love to meet other enthusiasts and place a face to a name. shoot me a PM or e-mail with your e-mail address and i'll get in touch with you.

I work in La Jolla area and can always use an extended lunch break to talk cars.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 PM
kscheible is infamous around these partskscheible is infamous around these partskscheible is infamous around these parts
Love all the data....nice work!

Thank you

Old 06-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Banned
997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !
That was a great write up. I hope your enjoying the kit.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 PM
chaud is infamous around these parts
always love to meet other enthusiasts and place a face to a name. shoot me a PM or e-mail with your e-mail address and i'll get in touch with you.

I work in La Jolla area and can always use an extended lunch break to talk cars.
haha, what a coincidence... I'm in La Jolla too... I've gotta get some rear tires, though looks like a get together will definitely have to be in store soon!

Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 PM
teoh2005 is infamous around these parts
no, i did not. i do plan to do so when my clutch gives out. but spending the $ on labor to take apart the transmission to replace the LWFW before the clutch is due for replacement only to do it again later doesn't seem too efficient. plus i'm skeptical how much of an improvement it'd make given that it'd cost($1100 parts + $800 or more for labor) more than 50% of how much I had already spent on the RS350 kit ($3500). But since I didn't do it personally, I can't really comment on it = )

if you did do the LWFW with your RS350, would you care to share your experiences?
I've got the Sharkwerks LWFW on my car. Also have Capristo Full Exhaust, Softronic Plenum and Flash. Car revs very fast, barely need to blip for heel and toe. There is more noise say in 6th gear when accelerating around 50 ish mph, but just drop it a few gears to really get into the powerband and no noise. There is also a bit more chatter with the clutch out, but not too bad. Drivability is just as easy as the dual mass flywheel. The car does not stall easier with the LWFW. All in all great mod.

-Kevin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: -= rs350; a very thorough review (dyno) =-