Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a stock set of Cayman S headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JP-S-St.Louis
Jermey I have the 3.2 performance headers already but the vario cam heads line up a bit different then the X51 headers. From these pictures it looks like I can use the 911 headers but my guy says I can not due to the heads. confused????
Is this for a track or street car? If it's a street car I suggest using the fabspeed headers they have a 200 cell cat built into it so the car will pass inspection ect... in fact the entire exhaust is a great direct bolt on upgrade for the 986 with no mods needed complete exhaust from engine to tip www.fabspeed.com all retail prices are listed we have had many customers with engine swaps and big bore kits use and love our exhaust because it is a direct bolt on all T304 stainless give me a call if you have any other questions or want to place an order Jason I will give you a discount in exchange for your posted feedback

Old 11-19-2008, 07:59 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jason@fabspeed
Is this for a track or street car? If it's a street car I suggest using the fabspeed headers they have a 200 cell cat built into it so the car will pass inspection ect... in fact the entire exhaust is a great direct bolt on upgrade for the 986 with no mods needed complete exhaust from engine to tip www.fabspeed.com all retail prices are listed we have had many customers with engine swaps and big bore kits use and love our exhaust because it is a direct bolt on all T304 stainless give me a call if you have any other questions or want to place an order Jason I will give you a discount in exchange for your posted feedback

Did you even read his thread?!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iJeremy
Did you even read his thread?!
I apologize from what I read I thought it was a 3.6 motor transplanted into a 986, just disregard my input.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Former Vendor
I am completely mistaken after reading into this tread futher there is a supercharger application on this car that I have over looked please disregard my input as Jeremy at Imagine is on the mark with the correct precription for this car encompassing all the details of this custom build.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 PM
3.6L Boxster is infamous around these parts3.6L Boxster is infamous around these parts
I have a set of factory 987 headers that I would sell you. You can email me at tholyoak at everestkc dot net.

987 headers and exhaust will fit in the 986 chassis just fine. Whether they will clear with the supercharger is another issue. You don't want to use any 986 based system with the larger motor as the port size on the 986 headers are too small for the larger ports on the heads of the 3.6 and 3.8 motors.

The X51 or 3.8 headers can be turned around and modified to work in the boxster chassis, but this involves a bit of fabrication. The 987 solution is essentially bolt on.

-Todd

Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Hey Todd, can you post up a picture of the stock 987 Units? - I can probably tell if they will clear the blower or not (Josh, thats assumming you're placing the blower in the same spot we normally do on our 986S S/C kits).

If these will clear it looks like your best option.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:41 PM
3.6L Boxster is infamous around these parts3.6L Boxster is infamous around these parts
Jeremy,

Here are some pics of stock 987 manifolds on a 3.8L engine in a 986 chassis.

-Todd

Attached Images    
Old 11-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Damn.... I don't know. With the cats it's going to be really close. Here is a typical 3.2 liter Blower setup we run:

Todd, you have as much experience as anyone with this - what do you think?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by 3.6L Boxster
You don't want to use any 986 based system with the larger motor as the port size on the 986 headers are too small for the larger ports on the heads of the 3.6 and 3.8 motors.

-Todd
I know this is true with STOCK applications, meaning you would definately be restricting your flow quite a bit with a stock set of 2.5 liter headers on a 3.8 liter motor... HOWEVER - worst case scenario they WILL fit... The Stock 3.2 liter and 2.7 liter headers will NOT clear the supercharger because of the extra cats. An aftermarket 3.2 liter header WITHOUT cats might be your best solution as far as clearance goes, and with the larger port size should also flow the most air. This would obviously mean relocating your 02 sensors to before and after the secondary cats.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Jeremy,
You are probably correct that unless you fab your own setup you may be limited to headers from the 986 platform.

Illustrated below is the difference in port size between the early 2.5, 2.7 and 996 3.4 heads (bottom of first picture) and the later 987 3.4 and 996/997 3.6 and 3.8 heads. There is quite a difference.

Also shown is a Fabspeed 987 catless header on a 3.6 X51 in a 986 chassis that may work with the supercharger. These are very similar in design to the factory 3.8L headers from the 997 that would be pretty easy to mod to work in the 986 chassis as well.

I think the only solution is to get your hands on some of the options and see if they will work. Personally I wouldn't use any of the 986 headers.

-Todd

Attached Images