Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986/987 Lower Stress Bars - CHEAP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Kirk is infamous around these partsKirk is infamous around these parts
986/987 Lower Stress Bars - CHEAP

Interesting item up on eBay I thought I'd bring to your attention...if you've wanted some lower stress bars cheap, cheap, cheap. There's a solid main bar (tough as nails) and two side bars as a set. These have been selling for $187 on 986forum for a complete set. The ones on eBay are only $47.95 for a complete set. Can't beat that! It's like getting one of Pedro's solid "Techno Brace" bars at a $20 discount and two side bars for free.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170281658638

Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM
chaud
Originally Posted by Kirk
Interesting item up on eBay I thought I'd bring to your attention...if you've wanted some lower stress bars cheap, cheap, cheap. There's a solid main bar (tough as nails) and two side bars as a set. These have been selling for $187 on 986forum for a complete set. The ones on eBay are only $47.95 for a complete set. Can't beat that! It's like getting one of Pedro's solid "Techno Brace" bars at a $20 discount and two side bars for free.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170281658638
Are these the ones you made Kirk?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
How about just the side ones since I already have the other one?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 PM
chaud
Originally Posted by JP-S-St.Louis
Curious, did anyone ever figure out if the side bars actually do anything? Or were we still at the "cant-hurt-bars" stage...

Old 11-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by chaud
Are these the ones you made Kirk?
Yes and no. These are basically earlier iterations from the group buy I did on 986forum. The main bar is the first one I made and the side bars are the second iteration. That's why they're so cheap. They're functional but parts I don't need anymore. They're not exactly the same as the ones from the group buy though, which is what I think you were asking.

Kirk

Old 11-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by chaud
Curious, did anyone ever figure out if the side bars actually do anything? Or were we still at the "cant-hurt-bars" stage...
I've recently changed my thinking on this subject. I've always been in the "can't hurt" camp. But I was thinking about the design of the Porsche OEM lower stress plate. Ever notice how it's secured in the very rear? There's a big U-shaped bar that comes down in the rear to secure the very rear most part of the lower stress plate and this is also the point where the side bars attach in the rear. Now if controlling loads and flex in that direction is not necessary, then why on earth did Porsche even extend the lower stress plate to the rear like that AND bolt in the special U-brace to secure it? If you only needed the main bar, then the OEM stress plate would simply end at that point. It doesn't though and the side braces further support and stiffen that rear structure of the car. So I guess that reasoning would put me in the "REALLY can't hurt, maybe even pretty good" camp. But I am admittedly biased...

Old 11-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by JP-S-St.Louis
JP, I sent you a PM on 986fourm.