Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted brake calibers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 PM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vroom
A small part of my painted caliper chipped off. Should I repaint the whole caliper or should I just touch up the chipped part?

What can I use to remove the paint from the calipers?
If you only have small chips, you don't have to repaint the whole caliper. You can easily touch them up by going to a local Autozone and picking up some Duplicolor high temp engine paint in a similar color to your calipers. They come in a spray can. Spray some of the paint onto a piece of cardboard or something, and then use a small brush, dip it into the paint and brush that paint onto your caliper to touch up the chip. Voila!

I've done this a few times on my calipers already, and it does a great job of touching up small chips that occur when you touch the calipers by accident when you're removing/reinstalling wheels.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Vroom

You wont be able to match the color with the autozone color .I would get a color code from the dealer

Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 PM
vroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by boxtaboy
If you only have small chips, you don't have to repaint the whole caliper. You can easily touch them up by going to a local Autozone and picking up some Duplicolor high temp engine paint in a similar color to your calipers. They come in a spray can. Spray some of the paint onto a piece of cardboard or something, and then use a small brush, dip it into the paint and brush that paint onto your caliper to touch up the chip. Voila!

I've done this a few times on my calipers already, and it does a great job of touching up small chips that occur when you touch the calipers by accident when you're removing/reinstalling wheels.
If you touch up, is it still smooth or you can tell that it had been touched up. Thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 07:10 PM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vroom
If you touch up, is it still smooth or you can tell that it had been touched up. Thanks
I can hardly tell after looking at it, but to be honest, who's gonna look that close to the caliper anyway? Why don't you give it a try. If you don't like the results, you can always spend an afternoon repainting the caliper altogether. In my opinion, however, it's not worth the effort, and the simple touch up will suffice.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:02 PM
LowFlyR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by boxtaboy
I can hardly tell after looking at it, but to be honest, who's gonna look that close to the caliper anyway? Why don't you give it a try. If you don't like the results, you can always spend an afternoon repainting the caliper altogether. In my opinion, however, it's not worth the effort, and the simple touch up will suffice.
My clear coat was so f***d up that I did not have a change.

And it looks better in yellow anyway

Old 03-20-2009, 01:17 PM
angman is infamous around these parts
I find that touching up with the canned Duplicolor paint works really well. Of course my original paint was Duplicolor as well. I love the results and it seems to smooth itself out when it dries. Slap on the Ebay decals and the heat from the calipers pretty much bakes them on really well. No clearcoat needed and looks better than my friends stock red calipers.