Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman VS Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 AM
'ringmeister is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Cayman S is hands down a better handling car. power is a different story, but as far as handling, the Cayman S is one of the best handling cars ever made, if not the best.
IMO, the cayman S is the more fun car, but buy what you like.
-i own a CS but a lot of the advantage is due to tires. you gonna wear the stock runflats on a Z06 pretty quickly and when replaced with PS2s there is a considerable improvement in grip and feedback. on the track its been my experince that a stock runflat-shod z06 (given fairly equal drivers) is very similar in cornering speeds. on the straights, well you dont even need to lift when giving a point-by to a z06....

Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 PM
renzop is infamous around these parts
What do you mean by best handling?

According to Road and Track a C6 Z06 pulls 0.96g on a 200ft skidpad and a Cayman S pulls 0.95g. The Z06 negotiates the 700ft slalom at 71.2 but the Cayman "only" can muster 70.6mph.

So while both cars handle very, very well, its hard to say that the Cayman S is the "best handling" car.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 PM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
Actually I've seen in the August 2006 Road and Track article CaymanS vs Evo iX the CS pulled .98g and a 74.2mph in a 700ft slalom. Also Motortrend did an article on handling cars where a 997 GT3 barely beat out the CS for first...the Z06 placed 9th I believe.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/1...road_loop.html

Last edited by MSCaymanS; 12-22-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 AM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
Assuming comparable tires, the ZO6 will have the advantage in virtually all circumstances. The Cayman will feel more secure, due to its mid-engine layout and modest power level. One has to get used to the relatively lower level of feedback in the Vette, and be committed to learn to handle the higher hp, front engine car. But, once the driver is proficient in driving the ZO6, it is simply in a higher performance class.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by elh0102
Assuming comparable tires, the ZO6 will have the advantage in virtually all circumstances. The Cayman will feel more secure, due to its mid-engine layout and modest power level. One has to get used to the relatively lower level of feedback in the Vette, and be committed to learn to handle the higher hp, front engine car. But, once the driver is proficient in driving the ZO6, it is simply in a higher performance class.
Exactly.
The Cay S and Z06 will always compete in different classes so they will never really go head to head. It is similar to the American Le Mans series: LMP1 vs LMP2. The Audi R-10 simply has a lot more juice with nearly 750 hp and 1000 lbs torque and will always outperform the Penske Porsche Spyder (500hp, 450lbs tq) given long enough straights. On more technical tracks the Spyder often still wins overall because the driver can use all of the car, not because the car is faster. No matter which one wins overall they both take home a trophy in their class.

In the Z06 you will run with Lambos, F430s, GT3s and Vipers. In the Cayman you will run with other 987/997s. Who do you want to play with and how fast do you want to go? Both are great track cars.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 12-23-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by renzop
What do you mean by best handling?

According to Road and Track a C6 Z06 pulls 0.96g on a 200ft skidpad and a Cayman S pulls 0.95g. The Z06 negotiates the 700ft slalom at 71.2 but the Cayman "only" can muster 70.6mph.

So while both cars handle very, very well, its hard to say that the Cayman S is the "best handling" car.
way to selectively pick stats. The cayman S has done the slalom at over 74 mph, and the boxster has done 73.6 IIRC. the only car i know of that can do it faster is the 997 GT2 which did 75.9 mph

Old 12-23-2008, 12:00 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MSCaymanS
Actually I've seen in the August 2006 Road and Track article CaymanS vs Evo iX the CS pulled .98g and a 74.2mph in a 700ft slalom. Also Motortrend did an article on handling cars where a 997 GT3 barely beat out the CS for first...the Z06 placed 9th I believe.

Thats right, the cayman S was rated as the 2nd best handling car in America after the GT3.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 PM
CosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Thats right, the cayman S was rated as the 2nd best handling car in America after the GT3.
I'm pretty sure that when "ride comfort" is thrown into the mix it's not a very valid test on "best handling". The Lotus smoked the Cayman S in the performance categories but got nearly dead last in comfort.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
NOw think about a CS on a set of Motons and a GT3 motor.....HMMMM

Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Op

Prior to owning My first Porsche I always bought American cars and was always thrilled about driving them .I have owned several Corvettes and the SS Camaros I always thought I was on top of the world in means of car ownership and simply laughed at those porsche owners always thinking they were so cool .Then my brother Bought a 1970's targa and I enjoyed driving in his car more for some reason.It had nothing to do with power it was Just Fun ,Real Fun and Cool to drive and the sound of the motor was really unique sounding.After a while I liked his 1970's targa so much I decided to trade my Z in on a new 911 in 2006.After I took my test drive I was standing In front of Barrier Motors in Wa and a car carrier pulled up with 3 Caymans on it and I asked what the F is That? The salesman explained it was the new Porsche Cayman.I came back the next day when they were ready for a test drive and about **** my pants on the looks and FEEL BEHIND THE WHEEL to this day it has been one of the happiest days in my life ,Very Majestic .If you think owning a corvette is cool the Cayman is 10x better in ways corvette owners will never know.The Z06 is No camparison to owning A Cayman.You have to own one to understand what I am saying

Last edited by Fluid987; 12-30-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:17 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MSCaymanS

thanks for the link..interesting read

Old 01-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
Stats are interesting, lap times tell the whole story:
http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=458d5d96147b9

In the hands of a pro the Z06 (aka the race car with plates) is nearly always faster around a track. Your results may vary. Using all 500+ hp and tq to get those kind of results requires talent. Lots and lots of talent.

Who do you want to play with on track days? How fast do you want to go? Do you have the juice?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 AM
renzop is infamous around these parts
Z06 and Cay S are in the same class

In SCCA autocrossing the Cayman S and Z06 are in the same class (Super Stock) where the Z06 consistently kicks its ***.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
DoingOK is infamous around these parts
No comparison. I have tracked my Z06 several times (with GoodYear G19 slicks) and it is nearly untouchable. And, to be honest, our Boxster S (I know, not a Cayman) truly impresses me with it's handling. I can easily see how it could be more satisfying for a person not used to big rear wheel horsepower. It is very easy to drive near it's limits. Let's not fool ourselves gentlemen, even though I really love the handling and craftsmanship of the P car.........the vette will annihilate the poor thing. It is funny to read some of the ill informed replies of people that have never driven a Z06 or even tracked a car.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 AM
niqui is infamous around these parts
I was kinda of in a similar predicament as the poster.
I was stuck between the cayman s, and hp monster sedans, like the amgs and m's...not vettes, i know.
after 8 months of test drives, thinking and talking and this forum, i truly believe the cayman to be one of the most fun cars to drive. and i am no car junkie, to my family, a car is a mode of transport, then they gave me the keys to a porsche, and i wasnt even driving fast to love it, it didnt have the luxury or gadgets of a benz, nor the muscle or grunt of a monster car, but it was just a natural joy to drive, day in a day out, just rewarding.
i guess you know what i am buying.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman VS Z06