Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you do heel-and-toe???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 PM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Can you do heel-and-toe???

Can you do it on the original boxster pedals??? I wear size 10.5-11 shoes so I guess my feet is a bit big. I'm having a hard time hitting the gas pedal on the heel and I don't have enough room to roll my feet either.

I'm always annoyed how these little japanese people can do it to flawlessly.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=7319163

PS: I can do double-clutch downshift no problem... like this guy in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI3cH...eature=related

Last edited by ekam; 01-13-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
I wear a 12.5 and it's more of a left side of foot/right side of foot thing. My wife does it in heels. Shifting, I mean.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned
ISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant future
It's really hard well at least for me... I am getting better at it though. I think the trick is to start pressing the brake with the side of your shoe without pressing the gas but with your foot sideways like if you were going to do it to get use to what the pedal feels like... Once you have that down you start pressing the gas with the heel. I tried doing it all at the same time and I ether give it too much gas or I press the brake too much....

Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM
josephsdesimone is infamous around these parts
I found the best way to learn was to:
  1. Start at about 100 MPH then while remaining in fourth gear begin to apply the brake with the ball of your foot on the right edge of the brake pedal.
  2. While under hard braking (meaning brake pedal pressure at a constant, not modulating) roll your size "whatever" shoe to the right, I believe you'll hit the gas pedal.
If you'd prefer more of the ball of your foot on the brake pedal, consider an aftermarket wider gas pedal.

I hope this helps!

Joe

Old 01-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned
ISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant future
I'll try that out... Thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by josephsdesimone
I found the best way to learn was to:
  1. Start at about 100 MPH then while remaining in fourth gear begin to apply the brake with the ball of your foot on the right edge of the brake pedal.
  2. While under hard braking (meaning brake pedal pressure at a constant, not modulating) roll your size "whatever" shoe to the right, I believe you'll hit the gas pedal.
If you'd prefer more of the ball of your foot on the brake pedal, consider an aftermarket wider gas pedal.

I hope this helps!

Joe

Good advice. Also, when first learning to heel-toe downshift, it helps if you bias your right knee inward (towards your left knee) when applying the brake with the ball (really just 1st Metatarsal bone mainly) of your foot to the right side of the pedal.

Then, when you need to blip the throttle, roll your right knee outward as you roll your right foot onto the left side of the gas pedal. This technique will help prevent you from depressing the gas pedal at the same time as the brake pedal, especially under hard braking. It feels wierd at first incorporating a knee movement with your braking, but once practiced, it makes the heel-toe timing much easier. At least that's the way I was initially taught it.

Also, I wear a size 11 driving shoe and can heel toe using side-side as well as entire ball of foot on brake (metatarsals 1-5), with only my heel used to blip the gas. In my case, I found that I would over brake and scrub off too much speed when I used the entire ball of my foot on the brake, and only my heel on the rev match.

I'm much smoother when I use the side to side method. YMMV.

Dan

Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
i'm not very good at it. i have the porsche race pedals and they don't seem to make much difference. they are a bit bulkier and stickier

Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I'm not there yet...but I try to practice all the time now.

Good advice here...thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
+1 on the foot roll method. Oh and one more little suggestion... practice this around town at 30-40mph. NOT at 140mph as you are screaming into turn one at Fontana.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Maibox is infamous around these parts
Size 13 and no issues using the roll method. DocDan's advice is good too, but my legs are too long to do this in the Boxster (I'm 6'4"), but I've used this method in other cars.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
I somehow figured it out on my first couple of days on the track. I wouldn't consider it heel-toe though....more of a right side of my foot blipping while rolling off of the brake pedal. It's quite a dance, but now I do it always when I'm driving.

Dave

Old 01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
renzop is infamous around these parts
I have very limited ankle mobility. What I find a lot easier than what people traditionally do is to start by applying the brake with my instep or heel and then straighten out my ankle and point my toes to depress the throttle.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
[Can you do it on the original boxster pedals??? ]

Yes...

Old 01-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
like docdan says - tweek the right knee left at the start and roll it back with foot to hit the gas pedal - it really helps focusing when learning.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:21 PM
BMW Power is infamous around these parts
this thread seems to have alot of shoe sizes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can you do heel-and-toe???