Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman onboard computer system options setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Caymanman is infamous around these parts
Cayman onboard computer system options setup

I read some time ago that it was possible to switch off the fasten seat belt (bing, bing) audio warning, as well as various other things, via the on board computer system if you have the dealer diagnostic tool to plug into the car? I just imported a Cayman S from the US and would also like to know if the front side indicator repeaters are switchable from code (on all the time) to normal flashing indicators via this system setup? Any info re the system setup and what can/can't be achieved would be most wellcome, thank you.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
nick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Caymanman
I read some time ago that it was possible to switch off the fasten seat belt (bing, bing) audio warning, as well as various other things, via the on board computer system if you have the dealer diagnostic tool to plug into the car? I just imported a Cayman S from the US and would also like to know if the front side indicator repeaters are switchable from code (on all the time) to normal flashing indicators via this system setup? Any info re the system setup and what can/can't be achieved would be most wellcome, thank you.
Yes all are possible but you will find that the dealer will not turn off the seat belt warning.

However, these other settings maybe useful:

OK, before you go running down to the dealer, the coding for the above options isn't as obvious to the dealer as perhaps I make out:

OK I assume he knows how to code some basic functions so I will skip how to use the PIWIS and just let you know which control units need changing.

The easy ones first:

Sports Chronometer Remains lit in standby:

CU = Chronometer
Coding => Illumination => There are two options and it should be obvious to which needs setting (my memory isn't perfect).

Daylight Running Lights (If you have PCM Sports Chrono Plus you can change this yourself):

CU = Front
Coding => Daytime driving light is mandatory => As before should be obvious

Fog light remains lit which switching to high beam:

CU = Front
Coding => Switch off fog light for high beam => As above should be obvious

Side markers flash as indicators:
CU = Front
Coding => Side Marker or direction indicator light => As above ahould be obvious

OK now it gets harder (I will group some options together as the settings overlap and I will have to repeat myself, but you can tailor the options when you get to the doors themselves):

Windows open/close with the key in the door lock
Windows open/close using the remote control
Windows drop by 2-3 inches when you open the rear hatch (allows you to drop the hatch shut rather than having to press on it).

First CU (Required for all window options):

CU = PAS

Coding => Comfort via radio remote control => (Currently set to lock or inactive) => Change to Release (Note: The wording maybe "Active" depending on PIWIS version but for all Release = Active and Inactive = Lock).
Coding => Comfort function Window => As above set to release
Coding => Door and Window Comfort Function => As above set to release

** While the dealer is in this unit he can also change to delays for the keys and the way the doors lock after starting the engine or driving off I will not detail these as most of the dealers know how to do these, but what I will say is that these have to be programmed for each key individually. The other coding for the PAS does not need separate coding for each key. If the dealer does not know how to change the locks.....ok I will bite my tongue.

OK back to the window functions, the next steps have to be coded for each door separately so I will only list it once:

CU = Drivers Door / Passenger Door:

(Window Open)
Coding => Open Comfort => Set to release as before
(Window Close)
Coding => Close Comfort => Set to release as before
(Windows Drop when opening hatch)
Coding => Window short stroke by Lugg Comp Op => Set to release as before

OK that should get you by for now, there are other thing you can play with but the others get really really complicated.

BTW to use the remote to make the windows close/open press and hold the unlock/lock button (Releasing the button stops the windows moving ie it is not one touch).
For the key to work in the door open/lock the car but hold the key in the open or close possition until the windows open or close.
The window drop with the hatch I believe may only work with the doors closed and with the remote ie not the switch in the car.

Good luck and remember that the above coding may still not work as it is dependent on the year of the car and the version of the PIWIS software that the dealer is using. Dr Porsche does not like us 'Customers' fiddling with the 'Free' stuff

Old 01-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Caymanman is infamous around these parts
Thank you nick_usa for this helpful information. Just one more question, do you know if I can do these settings with a PC / software based diagnostic system and if yes which make of PIWIS to USB adapter and software?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:20 PM
nick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Caymanman
Thank you nick_usa for this helpful information. Just one more question, do you know if I can do these settings with a PC / software based diagnostic system and if yes which make of PIWIS to USB adapter and software?
Sorry I do not know of a PC based system that would allow you to make these changes. I have a genuine PIWIS.