Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost my right side lights and left side Litronics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:09 AM
Sendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to all
lost my right side lights and left side Litronics

Ok, this one is just odd. I started the car up tonight and had no headlight power. I tried turning them off and on and at first they all lit up again but then after I stopped at blockbuster they were out and didn't come back. When I got home I noticed that the driver side light unit worked for turn signals and the standard halogen light, but no litronics. On the passenger side none of the lights/bulbs were lit. I took the light assembly out and checked the connections and put it back in. no change.

Any ideas? I'll take it to the shop but seems like it should be something I could diagnose.

I did also replace the lits bulbs as I was advised that could be the problem. Didn't do anything.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM
harajuka is a jewel in the roughharajuka is a jewel in the roughharajuka is a jewel in the roughharajuka is a jewel in the rough
try swapping the ballast from the working side to the non, see if that fixes it, if yes then just get a new ballast.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
okay...i don't know much about the mechanics of the boxsters....but could it possibly be the fuse to the headlights?

i know i had this issue with my ballast on my driver's side. it needs to be replaced. but mine are xenons. i didn't know litronics had a ballast?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
i know i had this issue with my ballast on my driver's side. it needs to be replaced. but mine are xenons. i didn't know litronics had a ballast?
Actually, Litronics are just Porsche speak for Xenons. They are one in the same.

@Sendero:
You might want to check the electrical contact that mates with the headlamp when it is pushed in. My passenger side Litronic headlamp would occasionally flicker out when I hit a dip in the road, while the halogen parking bulb below it would stay on. I looked behind the headlamp at the connections, and noticed that the yellow clip that secures the electrical contact to the post came loose and so the contact moved back when I pushed on it. You can see the yellow clip that sits behind the plastic arm in the picture below. It is secured by sliding it upwards behind connector. I bought a new clip, inserted it, and now my Litronic doesn't flicker out anymore.

Word of caution: the yellow clip is brittle and will break if you try to manhandle it back into place (ask me how I know).

Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
^^okay...i see. thank you for explaining the difference to me. =) told ya i don't know much about the electronics and mechanics! lol! when i bought my aftermarket bulbs and ballasts, they called them "xenons". what they called "litronics" seemed to cost a bit more than the ones i bought. maybe it was because the actual light came with it as a package.

best wishes on fixing your issue sendero!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
^^okay...i see. thank you for explaining the difference to me. =) told ya i don't know much about the electronics and mechanics! lol! when i bought my aftermarket bulbs and ballasts, they called them "xenons". what they called "litronics" seemed to cost a bit more than the ones i bought. maybe it was because the actual light came with it as a package.

best wishes on fixing your issue sendero!
No prob. For their latest models, Porsche doesn't even call them Litronics anymore anyway. They call em Xenons or Bi-Xenons as they should.