Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" tires recommendation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Question 18" tires recommendation?

I got it broken down to either Pirelli PZero ($) or Falken 615. I think PS2s are out of my price range, but any other tires that I should be looking at?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Please give me a call and I'll taylor what we have to your needs. Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-29-2009, 04:00 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
The Sumitomo are an amazing value. A Porsche dealer in my area is using them on their CPO cars. Curious that, as they are not specifically Porsche N-rated. Great write up and test results at Tire Rack.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:45 PM
renzop is infamous around these parts
The Falken is a pretty good tire but will be tough in the rain. For a readonably priced high performance street tire you can't go wrong with the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec. I'm not sure what size 18" tires for a 986 but 18" pricing is $174 to $248 at tire rack so figure $800 for a set.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Rob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant future
I've been very happy with my Bridgestone Potenza RE-050 tires on my Boxster S.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 AM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
You might take a look at the new Dunlop Sport Z1 Star Spec at Tire Rack. It is available in 245/40 and 275/35, which will work on the OE 8" and 9" wheels. They are tread rated at 200 which, like other SCCA street class tires, is probably optimistic. I have been pleased with the all around performance of the Bridgestone RE050A, but I will probably try these Dunlops, since I am looking for a more aggressive tire that will be used on track as well as street. My guess, the sidewall on the Dunlop will be stiff (certainly much stiffer than the PS2, and some stiffer than the Bridgestone). And I would anticipate at least moderate noise, so there are tradeoffs. The Dunlops are priced at $186 and $235. If their performance is as good as I've heard, that is a bargain. It might be more aggressive than you want, but the folks at Tire Rack should have the answers.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for all the comments. I might look to get Sumitomo as my next next set because I really do like the tread design on the Falkens... they're as close as racing slicks as it gets while still getting a 200 tread rating. I'll see how fast they wear out with the way I drive. LOL.

I generally try to stay away from directional tires as they're designed more for balance of dry/wet roads in mind.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:13 PM
CosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud of
Love the Dunlop Star Specs. They're far superior to the RT-615 in grip and about 2 generations newer. I've used RT-615's on my Miata and Star Specs on my Elise. Also look at the Bridgestone RE-01R