Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement motor question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 AM
hobbstc is infamous around these parts
Replacement motor question

Just contacted the P-car dealer that sold and serviced my 03 CS that I just bought. Turns out it had the dreaded IMS failure about 20k ago. First question, is there any reports of more reliability out of the replacement engines? Second, do you know if there's any kind of warranty on them, like 2yr 20k or something? Thanks!

PS Hoping that lightning doesn't strike the same car twice...

Old 03-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Mrledzeppelin is infamous around these partsMrledzeppelin is infamous around these parts
Depending on when the engine was replaced, meaning date not millage, they did update the ims. I have yet to replace one with the updated ims but did have one or two leak oil. If the motor was changed under new car or cpo warranty it is only covered for the life of the warranty. If it was extended warranty or customer pay it should be a 2 year spare parts warranty, but I'm unsure if its transferrable when the car is bought or sold. If the motor was installed after 05 I wouldn't be worried.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:49 PM
hobbstc is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the reply. It was replaced in October of 07. My p-car mechanic agrees with you about this not being a widespread issue. He says of the 100 boxsters he's worked on, 0 have had an IMS failure. Small sampling, but he picked this car out for me and said drive it and don't worry about it. He said he will make it right if there is a problem.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
they replaced it with the same engine design so it could.

i had ims on my C4s. no reason that the lottery # couldn't be drawn twice and the fact that you had it once has no bearing on whether you will get it again - just like a lottery!