Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S value huge drop?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
c m3 fly is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down

Wow, 36k doesn't seem bad. I would love to own one of these some day.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
ToddPhilly is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by switchface
Todd & Steve -

What are your impressions coming from your M3 and 335 respectively? What are your thoughts on comfort, noise level, and overall daily driveability?
I've been lucky enough to have both an e46 M3 and e92 335i coupe over the past few years. I guess to me part of your question depends on where you live. Here in PA, the roads aren't the best. So, I personally would not want to have the CS be my daily driver. I'm not saying it couldn't be...I would just prefer to have something that is a bit more forgiving to drive on a daily basis. The 335 was really the perfect daily driver. It was comfortable, fun to drive, and had LOTS of torque. That said, driving it make you feel a bit isolated. It is not a sports car (and was not designed to be one). I don't think you can really compare it to the CS in terms of driveability. It was much more quiet as well. The M3 was sort of in the middle. I'm sure the majority of people will disagree with me, but I actually liked the 335 more than my e46 M3. I can't really explain it either. The M3 was a beast. It was comfortable, had great seats, looked fantastic, but there was just something about the 335 that I liked better. Comparing the M3 to the CS to me again is not an easy comparison. The CS is just an amazing sports car. Everything about it just feels right. The sound is just intoxicating. My car has the bose sound system, and I honestly couldn't tell you how it sounded because I haven't yet turned it on! The road feel and steering in the CS are nothign short of perfect, but the roads around here are so shoddy that somtimes you just want a bit softer ride. So to me, the CS is a perfect 2nd (or 3rd) car.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:48 PM
switchface is infamous around these parts
I hear ya. I'm looking for one to be my only daily driven car even though the roads are smoother here in socal.

There are times, like last night coming home from dinner, where I enjoyed the comfort/quietness of my S4. Moonroof open, stereo on, and relaxing on the way home from a nice meal. If I lay into the boost, the car switches to beast mode, but I like the duality. I know the chassis and feel of the Cayman are amazing; I'm concerned if it will be too much for my only car.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM
CaymanSteve is infamous around these parts
Prior to getting the e46 m3, I had an S2000. The M3 was a beast, but it lacked that intimate feel had with the s2k. I love the CS now. It has that intimate feeling I missed in the S2k and some of the refinement I came it appreciate in the M3. As a daily driver it can get a little loud if the roads arent smooth. I just use that time to zone out and listen to that beautiful engine that is sitting right behind my spine.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
angman is infamous around these parts
I have a 335 which is my daily driver as well. It's a great handling car with an abundance of torque for my daily driving. However, I feel very detached from the road (even though the car grips). I don't know how to explain it but it just doesn't thrill me like my regular 2.5L Boxster does even though its got 100 extra horses on it and is 10+ years newer. The BMW is just a great daily driver with a sporty suspension, it's NOT a sports car.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 PM
second2none is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CaymanSteve
Prior to getting the e46 m3, I had an S2000. The M3 was a beast, but it lacked that intimate feel had with the s2k. I love the CS now. It has that intimate feeling I missed in the S2k and some of the refinement I came it appreciate in the M3. As a daily driver it can get a little loud if the roads arent smooth. I just use that time to zone out and listen to that beautiful engine that is sitting right behind my spine.
This was good to know. I'm a current s2000 owner looking at a possible cayman as a replacement.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:20 AM
CaymanSteve is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

There are "cars" and then there are "automobiles." The M3 was a great car, but once you experience a true automobile, you will always know the difference. A Cayman will fill the shoes of the S2k very nicely.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
cotenseto is infamous around these parts
Todd, what dealer did you buy from? Was it "Main Line" aka Brandywine Porsche?

Old 04-04-2009, 02:25 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
they are tanks that get 13 miles to the gallon.

i like them but they are just really well built hummers.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by cotenseto
Todd, what dealer did you buy from? Was it "Main Line" aka Brandywine Porsche?
Yes from Mainline. They've been fantastic to work with, and I'd highly recommend them to anyone else in the area.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by ToddPhilly
Yes from Mainline. They've been fantastic to work with, and I'd highly recommend them to anyone else in the area.
I live right near there. Actually work out at the gym on SAP's campus. That's a great deal, enjoy it. I may have to head over and tell them to keep an eye out for me. If I could pick up an 07 CPO'ed S for under 40k I'd go for it.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by cotenseto
I live right near there. Actually work out at the gym on SAP's campus. That's a great deal, enjoy it. I may have to head over and tell them to keep an eye out for me. If I could pick up an 07 CPO'ed S for under 40k I'd go for it.
If you go over there, talk to Randal. He was very helpful. I don't think you would have a problem getting the same deal I was able to. It's just a function of them finding the right car.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll head on over and talk to him. A friend of mine is also interested. Wonder if we can get a special discount if we buy 2

c

Old 04-08-2009, 06:13 PM
nlpamg is infamous around these parts
not to threadjack, but I just came across this while reading and it struck a nerve

Originally Posted by CaymanSteve
There are "cars" and then there are "automobiles." The M3 was a great car, but once you experience a true automobile, you will always know the difference. A Cayman will fill the shoes of the S2k very nicely.
oh god, give me a break. I don't think the Cayman is that great. I would put it on par with the e46 M3. the "beautiful engine" is too weak for my tastes and the cabin is quite a bit cramped. sure the steering and balance are there, but it's not a true "automobile" compared to the M3.

however, if you get it with the god awful tiptronic, then I wouldn't even call it an "automobile". come on, how many auto sports "automobiles" start in 2nd gear consistently?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Psypher is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nlpamg
however, if you get it with the god awful tiptronic, then I wouldn't even call it an "automobile". come on, how many auto sports "automobiles" start in 2nd gear consistently?
If you buy a Corvette Z06, you can start in 4th gear daily if you wish...

Just adding fuel to the fire...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cayman S value huge drop?!