Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z4M owner looking at a base boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
The Z4M is a lot more motor. The Boxster is a lot more car. Spend some time in a Box and you will know which is right for you. They are both a hoot!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
I had a E86 MZ4 coupe before getting my 987 LE S last year as well.

I would definitely suggest you to try to into a 2007/08 S for the value if a brand new 2009 S doesn’t fit your budget. A 2009 non S will be fine if you don’t plan to push your car often or head to tracks much to race your buddies. The MZ4 was a lot of raw power, tough handling combined with a heavy duty gearbox but if you had enough of those then the butter smooth Boxster is definitely your answer. The non-S has good power but can’t compare to the MZ4’s, however the FL 2009 has more power than pre FL 987. The MZ4 has more raw power feeling than even the S, it is really like hardcore underground rap versus Bach’s and Mozart’s classico music when comparing the two cars!

I love my S, it so smooth in both power and handling. The power come smoothly in the middle of the RPM until you hit the limiter. The handling and weight control is so easy and smooth (and I don’t even have the PASM). It really let me enjoyed driving everyday to work or on my summer track days.

As to options, you know you must buy the “sport” package when you get a BMW but not in a Porsche. “Sport” is the basic standard in Porsche! I was look for the sport seats and PASM when I was hunting last year but I end up not getting neither. The standard seats has plenty of support and the standard suspension is great. The S brakes are awesome as well. Stay with the 987 or 997 only, please. The interior and build is much better as I have owned both 986 and 996 before.

Finally, I would suggest you not to worry about getting the newest model like other common brands but to find a Porsche that you like and fall in love on your first sight.

Hope I helped and good luck!! Cheers! 100th Post!!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Johnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to behold
StarFlare,
I've owned both iterations of the M coupe (E36&46). Whether they were stock, modified or otherwise, neither compared to the balance and poise of my current Boxster S. However, as much as I respect and appreciate virtues of the standard Boxster, in this particular case I would recommend "s" model as one that is more closely matched with the M in terms of power and performance. In this economy I would venture to guess that there must be some excellent incentives on new and used Boxsters; both 987's and 986's respectively .
Johnny

Old 05-02-2009, 01:34 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
My wife had a Z4M. Great car and its a step down to go to a Base Boxster. I would go
Cayman S OR keep the M or lease another Bimmer

Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Seano is infamous around these parts
Smile

'03 Z4 w/Sport Mode & SMG >> '02 Boxster S ... Ok, not an exact answer to your question, but here's my $.02

I drove a brand new Z4 for a year, drove it on the Porsche lot and drove out with a slightly older Boxster S (1 yr older, 5k more mi). There is quite a difference between the two cars that I suspect is car design (i.e. will probably hold true now as it did 5 years ago). The Z4 felt quicker and more nimble, but it also seemed to get pitched a bit more in the turns. The Boxster immediately felt more grounded and almost "heavier" - it seems to hook up and stay there in the turns. I found I was comfortable in the same turns at higher speeds in the Boxster. I think that's what people mean when they say its more car.

Clearly, the M will pull much harder than the Boxster and I suspect the suspension on the ZM4 is a bit more robust, but as I mentioned above - quite diff in the way they drive.

Do what I did: drive 'em back to back and see which one makes you grin more.