Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z4M owner looking at a base boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:50 PM
StarFlare is infamous around these parts
Z4M owner looking at a base boxster

Hi,

I currently drive a 2007 BMW Z4M coupe and the lease is expiring this summer. So I started looking around for a replacement and the Boxster is at the top of my list. I don't have the financial resources to stretch to a Boxster S.

Did anyone here go from a Z4M or E46 M3 (same engine) to a base Boxster? How did you feel about the decrease in power when you made the switch?

Also I have some questions with options:
1. How important is it to have sport seats? I think they're a MUST for BMWs.
2. If I get a 2008 leftover, it may come with a 5-sp transmission. Do you think 6-sp is a must for base Boxster because of the smaller engine?

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a Porsche guy but I suggest keep your car and stay with your Z4M...

not worth it IMHO..

Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 AM
jrblackbox is infamous around these parts
I think you can only get the 6speed on an "S". I don't think it is an option on a base.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:09 AM
wheeze is infamous around these parts
Not sure what your budget is but do not underestimate the recent price drop in the 2007 and 2008 boxster and boxster s. Recent "steals" on boxsters are around for ones that have been at the dealers since last summer and fall. Look hard and the right car will come your way

Old 03-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
Yea, 6 speeds are only available in S series cars. As mentioned above, you can buy a used base Boxster for quite cheap, though it sounds like you may only be able to afford leasing. If you have the funds, try a used model.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by StarFlare
Hi,

I currently drive a 2007 BMW Z4M coupe and the lease is expiring this summer. So I started looking around for a replacement and the Boxster is at the top of my list. I don't have the financial resources to stretch to a Boxster S.

Did anyone here go from a Z4M or E46 M3 (same engine) to a base Boxster? How did you feel about the decrease in power when you made the switch?

Also I have some questions with options:
1. How important is it to have sport seats? I think they're a MUST for BMWs.
2. If I get a 2008 leftover, it may come with a 5-sp transmission. Do you think 6-sp is a must for base Boxster because of the smaller engine?

Thanks.
I'll take a stab at an answer....

I have an '02 996, an '00 Boxster, and I driven more than a few e46 M3's.

1) Power - You'll notice a big power drop switching from the Z4M to the base Boxster. The question is does this matter too you? There's over a 100hp difference between my 996 and my 986, but they are both a riot to drive for different reasons. While I'm sure you found the acceleration in the Z4M intoxicating, you'll probably find the intoxicating handling of the Boxster will make you forget about the power loss.

2) Seats - The Boxster (both 986 and 987) base seats are very good. No a huge deal IMHO is you don't get the sports.

3) 6 speed vs. 5 speed. If you can only find a 5 speed 987 this shouldn't be a deal breaker in my opinion.

Last edited by Ray S (Chicago); 03-29-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
I think that you will notice a significant difference as all the others said.

Why not consider a lightly used 986 S instead of a newer 987? Just food for thought.

Dave

Old 04-02-2009, 03:22 AM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
How much to buy off your Z4M at the end of your lease? I say you might as well keep the Z4M. You will not like it moving to the base boxster.

No disrespect about the base boxster, only for what you are coming from, will you move from Z4M to a Z4 3.0i? Probably not, right?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:41 AM
renzop is infamous around these parts
The 6 speed is geared with a bigger space between 1st and 2nd. Believe it or not the 5 speed in the base boxster will be faster from 0-60 then the 6 speed.

Last edited by renzop; 04-02-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM
StarFlare is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by beckham23
How much to buy off your Z4M at the end of your lease? I say you might as well keep the Z4M. You will not like it moving to the base boxster.

No disrespect about the base boxster, only for what you are coming from, will you move from Z4M to a Z4 3.0i? Probably not, right?

Residual value is $38k with 20k miles on it - not worth buying considering today's market. But I've heard recent stories where BMW financial was willing to negotiate the residual because of the state of economy. I might consider buying if I can get a better deal.

Thanks a lot for all your feedback so far.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 AM
morexviit is infamous around these parts
My friend just bought back a 330 with a 27k residual for 19.5k. Its worth a shot to try to negotiate a purchase price... BMW's getting a lot of lease returns because they always offer such great lease pricing which backfiring because the used car market is being flooded with 2-3 year old Bimmers.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Your argument makes no sense. Why compare a Z4M to a 3 liter Z4?

As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread everyone agrees the OP would sacrifice straightline acceleration going from a Z4M to a 987. What your analogy above (Z4M vs Z4 3.0) fails to recognize is from handling and driver feel perspective the 987 > Z4M.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:21 AM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
Your argument makes no sense. Why compare a Z4M to a 3 liter Z4?

As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread everyone agrees the OP would sacrifice straightline acceleration going from a Z4M to a 987. What your analogy above (Z4M vs Z4 3.0) fails to recognize is from handling and driver feel perspective the 987 > Z4M.
Relax. It's not exactly Car & Driver over here.

I think he started asking if he should stick with his Z4M or go to a base boxster...don't think he ever ask, "from a handling and driver feel perspective, what should I do?"...Guess I could've been clearer, from a hp perspective for him to go from a Z4M > base boxster. Anyway, whatever makes sense to him, isn't it?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Relax. It's not exactly Car & Driver over here.

I think he started asking if he should stick with his Z4M or go to a base boxster...don't think he ever ask, "from a handling and driver feel perspective, what should I do?"...Guess I could've been clearer, from a hp perspective for him to go from a Z4M > base boxster. Anyway, whatever makes sense to him, isn't it?
Wow, more like Car & Drama did you even read his question? Why else would he be considering a switch and asking the question if he didn't see other characteristics in the Boxster that he does not see in the Z4? From a hp perspective the Z4M is obviously superior from a handling perspective I'd say the Boxster wins.

Again not sure what a Z4M vs Z4 3.0 or Car & Driver have to do with his question?

However, I guess I'll agree with you. The OP should definitely not switch from a Z4M to a Z4 3.0......

Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
However, I guess I'll agree with you. The OP should definitely not switch from a Z4M to a Z4 3.0......
I guess we can be on the same page on one thing at least.

Cheers. (where's that group hug thingie, I need one of those to address this situation)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Z4M owner looking at a base boxster