Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Dr.Confused is infamous around these parts
First post!

Hello everyone!

I need your assistance. I am a medical student in southern Florida and am interested in buying a car. I am interested in ordering a 2009 Boxster - the equipment is as follows, I thought a list format broken down into exterior and interior would be the easiest to read.

2009 Porsche Boxster Roadster

Exterior Equipment Interior Equipment
- Basalt Black Metallic Paint - Bluetooth Interface for Mobile
- 19" Carrera S II Wheels - Universal Audio Interface
- Porsche Windstop - Heated Seats
- Bi-Xenon Headlights w/Dynamic Cornering - Porsche Crest in Headrest
- Aluminum Look Lower Side Mirror Section - Interior Color Floormats
- 3-Spoke Sports Steering Whl

The MSRP on the vehicle is $55, 295 and the invoice is $47, 122. So far I was able to get the dealer down to $50,545. I KNOW I can do better in the discount department. Can you guys please suggest how much lower I should get the dealer to go (obviously I'd like the best possible deal) and also any tactics you have aquired to encourage the dealer to meet my asking price?

Lastly, if anyone could recommend any particular options I may have overlooked like PASM or Limited Slip Differential. I do not want to purchase this vehicle with any regrets, so I would appreciate any feedback from anyone.

I looked at the PCM, but from my previous experience I believe you pay more attention to your surroundings when following a more traditional printed out set of directions, also I belive the PCM dates the vehicle. Also I do enjoy the PDK but I think the manual will be more engrossing. All feedback is appreciated!

....lastly lastly (I promise this time)...what do you guys think of this vehicle

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...?itemid=582935

I really do love the boxster, but I always toy with the idea of "what if", honestly I think the boxster is better looking and I have yet to drive the 2005 Carrera Cabriolet, I'm again...just curious of what you all have to say.

This is my FIRST post so please be nice...and I will end with the legendary quote.

"PORSCHE - There is No Substitute "

Old 04-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
is there any reason why you'd choose boxter over cayman by chance? if price is the issue, nevermind but if not, look into caymans. (at least i'd prefer that over boxter anyday)

there's a thread about options (only 4 people responded)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-options.html

PASM and LSD are must on my list but to be honest, i dont think it's worth it for people who drive it to reach point A to B.

probably a good idea to write what you will be doing with the car. (i dont think it was stated)

consider used 997s too. i'd much rather get cayman S than 997 (non-s).

Old 04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
It comes down to preference I believe. The price difference between the blxster and cayman is so minimal ($3500) I believe I could alost see it as a waste if you don't get exactly what you wanted. I actually walked into the Porsche daelership to buy a cayman. I testdrove the boxster as well that day just for fun, as did my friend who accompanied me and we both left with the exact same reaction, we preferred the boxster. I prefer the ride from the boxster as well as the roadster versus coupe and I think the boxster is better looking but I am aware that the general public does disagree ( in the looks department that is). Also living in sourthern florida it was a no brainer to get the roadster. Albeit I'd be happier with the boxster and that's what it comes down to.

I will be using it for driving from the dorms to class when the shuttles stop running ( between 6pm-6am). An all of 0.6 mile comute. I'll take to the grocery, barns n nobles. Occasionally to South beachi for weekend trips. And eventually I'd like to drive it a bit on the track just to get a taste of it potential. Thank you for your response.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Psypher is infamous around these parts
IMHO, if you plan to do track driving at all, PASM and LSD are a must... Period.

If it is to be a daily driver, then you can get away without them. From what I read in your innitial post, you want to a get a car in which you will have no regrets or "buyers remorse". If this is true, then get the LSD and PASM so that you have the option one day.

Just my .02 cents...

p.s. I personally would not by a 50k car without navigation if it was to be a daily driver. Just me though...

Last edited by Psypher; 04-09-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Grammer Edit
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you go to Champion? LSD Code 220 is a must for about $900, so are the sport seats Code P77 for $800.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
- David9962000

I have yet to go to champion. I am actually ordering the vehicle from a dealership in NJ and having them deliver it to champion to get picked up. It's a long story (actually it's not i'm just currently a NJ resident but will be spending the next four years of my life in florida learning medicine)...It hadn't occurred to me to call them up and ask if they'll do the deal over the phone and to see if they can beat the current price. THANKS for the great idea!

- Psypher

I like your input, and I agree PCM is smart for a daily driver...with the LSD and PASM it adds a total of $6050 which seems like a large chunk of change in a $46,000 base priced vehicle...but I do not want to have regrets so I will definitly think about this one...What are the advantages of PASM (i know it lowers the car 10 mm and stiffens the suspension for better handling in advanced driving) have you driven a car with an without it? (if so what did you feel were the major differences?)

again, everyone thanks for your input!

here is a funny video you all may enjoy!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VsGjXkHeg[/media]

Old 04-10-2009, 07:42 AM
thnxbabe has a spectacular aura aboutthnxbabe has a spectacular aura about
I have an older Boxster S and you can't beat it in S. Florida! I wish my car had the sport seats and LSD.

I was warned against the 19" wheels for my car by the chief tech at the Colelction. He had a boxster with 19's and he said the tires choices aren't great and are very expensive. I have 18's and like them fine.

As to navigation? I don't see the need and I think it clutters the dash. I like the simple interior in my car, but to each their own.

I don't have any of the driver's aids either. I do DE and Auto Cross in the car and haven't missed them yet (other than the LSD).

Old 04-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
It sounds like you've done quite a bit of homework and you know exactly what you're looking for.

Personally, for South Florida, unless you're planning on taking the car to the track, I'd focus more on the creature comforts and visual aspects of the car. You'll spend a lot more time at traffic lights then you will in the twisties down here, that's for sure. I live in Fort Lauderdale and work in Pompano, and even though my car has coilovers, sway bars, and all the goodies....it seems my main concern on most days is good air conditioning and strong brakes..lol.

Definitely look into some of the NASA and PCA track days that are held at Homestead. They're an absolute blast and a great way to become a better driver and explore the potential of your car.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:41 PM
lolayay is infamous around these parts
Smile

If you are seriously about track, you wouldn't pick Boxster against Boxster S anyway unless you are running Spec Boxster. For that matter, you would choose a Cayman S even (coupe's better than convertible in the track). So don't waste your money on LSD and PASM.

On the other hand, if you want a semi-track car, don't waste money on navigation. Serious track car has nothing inside

It looks like you want an all around car. Your current configuration is good. You can always add track tires, PSS9, etc later if you become more serious tracking the car. If you have too much money to spend, forget about my don't wate money comments above, get a GT3 for track and a Maserati for daily ;-)

For now, take the top down and enjoy the ride

Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Buy a used 911 - you'll never regret it

Old 04-10-2009, 01:55 PM
-thnxbabe

I love the enthusiasm, I'm getting really excited about the vehicle. How are the tire options not great for the 19" versus the 18", to my understanding, whatever tire you get your 18" in you can just opt to get the same version in a 19" fashion, although your point of them being significantly more expensive is true. I'm leaning towards getting LSD but the salesmen I spoke to said it's only for SERIOUS track driving, I'm not even sure if I will have time to go to a track yet...lol

- Tom@Rennsport-1

Thank you for the kind words, it's my first solo car purchase! From your expereince is Southern Florida TOO hot for a roadster especially with my color combination of a black exterior with a black interior? Also, you said it will be a lot of traffic light driving, with that in mind would you recommend going with the PDK instead of the 6- speed manuel transmission? I am curious to here your thoughts!

- lolayay

I think you are starting to realize that I am not so serious about tracking the car. Honestly, I have never taken a car to a track but I wanted to try it on occasion with this new car. This will be my only car and hopefully after med school I can make those awesome purchases you recommended, if I do one day I will gladly call you along for track coaching! haha

- Ken

Thanks for the advice. I was strongly considering it because apparently motor vehicles do the majority of their depreciation within the first three years (sometimes 30-40%) and purchasing a used car would alleviate that initial hump. Also the 911 does carry a significant amount of prestige, however the more I discuss the matter my family members, the more I am encouraged to purchase a new vehicle, to avoid any possible problems and such. This decision is eating my head more than it should be! Thanks again for the opinion!

Well guys, i just spoke with a dealership here in southern florida, and he is offering the 2009 Boxster for $48,995. It's an OK deal but I still cannot stomach the fact that he is aquiring the car for LESS than $47, 122 and making me pay that much more. Anyways, I also wanted to throw out there that they are giving $13,500 off on 2008 Boxster S (I have heard that Porsche is giving the dealerships $5000 off the 2008 Boxster and Boxster S's so he is essentially giving $8500 off on the 2008 models.

I am very close to closing the deal but want to know how much I should be getting off. Does anyone know who else to call to get an amazing deal, hopefully getting the car for $46,000 is what I am semi-aiming for.

I really don't have any Porsche youtube videos to share at this time. I do have this multi-racial roommate comedy one though, it is irrelevant to our topic but it is funny. I really enjoyed it, maybe you all will too!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f4dQNrpUeU[/media]

Old 04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Bob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really nice
Have you talked to Doug Cotton at Reeves Porshce in Tampa? Tell him Bob Z. sent you and explain your situation...he can probably make you a deal you cannot refuse.

Any reason why you are not considering a pre-owned '08, which has already depreciated greatly?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:39 PM
- Bob Z.

Thanks for the advice! I just called Doug and left him my name and number. Hopefully he can give me the deal I am looking for.

I am wary about getting a pre-owned vehicle because there may be problems associated with it. Also I believe the 2009's look nicer, and I feel that will make me happier in the long run. Although the discount on the 2008's is INCREDIBLE. What do you think of the look of the 2009's versus the 2008's?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:58 PM
lolayay is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the offer, Dr. Confused. I will keep your promise in mind.

Lots of people who are active in the forum are seasoned and serious about performance driving compared to the general public. They know a lot, notice the ride difference in -1 and -2 camber in no time, and are not afraid of buying used cars and fix things up themselves. Most people however don't even know their tire size(s) (including me myself years ago :-D)).

So find a good deal, enjoy the ride and sunshine. If you find performance driving interesting, you will research more and try more naturally later. There is no need to plan things decades down the road. Who know if you will enjoy flying airplane more instead for example.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
when you load in overhead and related costs they are not making a dime off that car - how do you expect them to last if they don't make $.

have you had any course lectures on what appropriate discount rates should be applied to medical procedures when you graduate?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.