Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R springs and sways

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:02 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Question H&R springs and sways

hi 6speeders
anyone have H&R springs/sways done on their 987 boxster. any improvement on (already exceptional) steering response and handling? i would think "stance" will improve (look more aggressive) and wheel "gap" diminish? also any thoughts in wheel spacers; sizes for front/rear? is 5mm OEM good enough all around? please respond as i am looking to get my 987 boxster orange SE "lowered". thanx

Last edited by 997tt RS 2.7; 04-15-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
997tt RS 2.7

I have a 2007 2.7 Cayman with that set up and Love it.Yes it improves the stance a lot .I put 19"s on and the H&R's made a huge difference for the better.The spacers are not really a must have on the car in my opinion ,I did not choose to go that Route as my whelels and tires were wide enough already .Boothe -makes some really good spacers though

Old 04-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Chicos is infamous around these parts
Did H&R sways, springs and spacers...

Looks - excellent
Handling - nice
High speed stability - good
Ride - not so great over the rough stuff, but still predictable.... just expect a somewhat stiffer ride. My fiancee doesn't seem to think it is rougher than stock.

Overall very good. The car definitely requires more babying over the potholes of Toronto Ontario though.... I'm running 18s mostly, the 19s are only good on smoother roads...

Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
did steering and handling improve with springs & sways? stock setup already very good; is it "elise-like" after mods? i don't PASM did ride get "harsh" with new set up?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 PM
do you have PASM? i do not. did steering feel "quicker"? less body roll on curves? did the car feel more planted @ higher speeds? i have 18s, is OEM 5mm spacers good enough? do spacers help improve handling or just for "looks"?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:35 AM
coolray is infamous around these parts
hi dude would you mind letting me know where did you get your parts?

thx

Originally Posted by Chicos
Did H&R sways, springs and spacers...

Looks - excellent
Handling - nice
High speed stability - good
Ride - not so great over the rough stuff, but still predictable.... just expect a somewhat stiffer ride. My fiancee doesn't seem to think it is rougher than stock.

Overall very good. The car definitely requires more babying over the potholes of Toronto Ontario though.... I'm running 18s mostly, the 19s are only good on smoother roads...

Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Glad I'm not the only one that shares the same thought.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Pfaff Tuning did all the work for me. I like the fact they stick by the Porsche warranty with their work.

I don't have PASM.

Yes, the handling is way more go-kart like. Turn in is immediate, the feel on the track far superior. No perceptible body roll, handles more like a true sports car vs. it's GT-type setup.

The downside is that for sure over really choppy roads you will get a harsher, choppy ride. My fiancee doesn't seem to think it is that uncomfortable though. My Cayman S is without PASM, and I take it on long-trips so I don't want a major harsh ride. I feel it is acceptable, however stay off of Uxbridge back roads or Downtown Toronto streets in the early spring!!!

19s pretty much forget about on the street, 18s are acceptable. I am going to try the newest Pilot Sports 2s as their lower tire pressures should also help even out the ride a bit.

Overall I feel the handling and looks are a reasonable trade off for the 10-20% harsher ride. I am not sure it is for everyone though, and as I do 5-10 track days a year it is much better.

I think of my Cayman S as the SPORT version or Sport Setup.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Pfaff Tuning did all the work for me. I like the fact they stick by the Porsche warranty with their work.

I don't have PASM.

Yes, the handling is way more go-kart like. Turn in is immediate, the feel on the track far superior. No perceptible body roll, handles more like a true sports car vs. it's GT-type setup.

The downside is that for sure over really choppy roads you will get a harsher, choppy ride. My fiancee doesn't seem to think it is that uncomfortable though. My Cayman S is without PASM, and I take it on long-trips so I don't want a major harsh ride. I feel it is acceptable, however stay off of Uxbridge back roads or Downtown Toronto streets in the early spring!!!

19s pretty much forget about on the street, 18s are acceptable. I am going to try the newest Pilot Sports 2s as their lower tire pressures should also help even out the ride a bit.

Overall I feel the handling and looks are a reasonable trade off for the 10-20% harsher ride. I am not sure it is for everyone though, and as I do 5-10 track days a year it is much better.

I think of my Cayman S as the SPORT version or Sport Setup.
did you use OEM 5mm spacers? did you look into coilovers? mine is a DD and will only track 1-2 per year. i think springs, sways, & spacers is the way to go in my situation. please post

Old 04-17-2009, 03:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I'm actually really not keen on the H&R springs. The sways are great and we do those all the time but the H&R springs tend to sag over time and also seem to cause a pogo-ing effect in combination with stock shocks. If using springs I prefer to use Eibach or something like that.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:01 PM
did you also do exhaust mods & ECU retune?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Haven't found pogoing with H&R myself yet. Hopefully they don't sag too much over time.

I didn't want to spend the money or time on coilovers.

Overall I'm happy with my setup as Pfaff tuning has done a bunch, and from other customers all happy.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 PM
vroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of light
I have the H&R and 20". Ride is rough but still bearable for me. Just feel a little rougher than stock.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Johnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to behold
Although, adding lowering springs to your vehicle may give it an enhanced look, this is not always the best application. For example, you have the OEM strut that is valved in such a way that it is designed to work in conjunction with the factory spring settings. Sometimes, by adding after-market springs that are all together different in terms of "rate" (typically much stiffer) and size can produce a poor "mating" of the two. You should consider installing a set of after-market, adjustable coil overs. The amount of time and labor for installing them is about the same as lowering springs. However, with this approach one has the ability to set the desired amount of ride height, as well as adjust rebound and dampening. But, perhaps most importantly, this application utilizes specific valving and spring rates that are designed to work in unison with each other.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 04-21-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
We did this setup on a customer's care not too long ago. Here's some of my observations:

Appearance: definitely gives the car a more aggressive stance. Not "slammed" low, but just enough.
Ride Quality: Slightly stiffer then stock, but absolutely manageable.
Handling: Greatly improved.
Cost vs. Benefit ratio: Excellent!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H&R springs and sways