Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide between Cayman, 370Z, and Saturn Sky Redline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM
toy4two is infamous around these parts
Can't decide between Cayman, 370Z, and Saturn Sky Redline

I am looking to spend about 35k on my next sports car. My previous cars were a 1991 MR2 Turbo, and a 2003 350Z Touring.

I really miss the mid-engine handling of my MR2, and appreciated the torque of the Z but found it a little heavy and not quite as nimble as I want in a sports car.

So, for 35k I can get either a new Saturn Sky Turbo, a new 370Z, or a used Cayman S with around 40k miles.

Has anyone owned a 370Z or Sky and can compare it to the Cayman?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Or you could just get a base Cayman with much much fewer miles...

Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Psypher is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by toy4two
I am looking to spend about 35k on my next sports car. My previous cars were a 1991 MR2 Turbo, and a 2003 350Z Touring.

I really miss the mid-engine handling of my MR2, and appreciated the torque of the Z but found it a little heavy and not quite as nimble as I want in a sports car.

So, for 35k I can get either a new Saturn Sky Turbo, a new 370Z, or a used Cayman S with around 40k miles.

Has anyone owned a 370Z or Sky and can compare it to the Cayman?
I had written a long reply to your question and then my internet crashed.

In response to your question, I have driven the 370Z. Feels leaps and bounds better then the 350Z did. In terms of the Cayman. Personally, even as a currently Z owner, I'd get the Porsche no questions asked. In terms of Saturn, I can tell you that as a service writer in an automotive repair facility, we see more Saturns in need of repair then any other car company. They have a/c issue and major cooling issues. As a prior MR2 owner, you know how important cooling systems are to cars, let alone turbo cars. If you want to re-live the feeling of the MR2, get the Porsche.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 PM
vtecsti is infamous around these parts
Cayman S, by far. So much more car for your money. I would go test drive a Cayman S. They are an absolute blast to drive! Good luck with you decision.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
Cayman S! The feel, handling, quality and image will be better than a Saturn or a Nissan. I would try to have some type of warranty with it too.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 PM
toy4two is infamous around these parts
done!

thanks guys, I think I'm gonna go for the Caymen S, I don't really want to step down to the base Cayman as I got addicted to the power of the Z.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
cayman s or go for 370z.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Cayman S.
You'll get the feel you are looking for.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
renzop is infamous around these parts
the Cayman S is a $60K+ car. The Sky and 370Z are $30K+. Unless you are comparing a used Porsche vs new Saturn and Nissan this is a very unfair comparison. Better off comparing a base Cayman (Still $50K+). You can find used 2007 Caymans with low mileage for 35K. The Cayman is the better car. Just a question of whether you want new or used. Even with Saturn's dubious repair record the Cayman will have higher maintenance and repair costs than the others.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by renzop
the Cayman S is a $60K+ car. The Sky and 370Z are $30K+. Unless you are comparing a used Porsche vs new Saturn and Nissan this is a very unfair comparison. Better off comparing a base Cayman (Still $50K+). You can find used 2007 Caymans with low mileage for 35K. The Cayman is the better car. Just a question of whether you want new or used. Even with Saturn's dubious repair record the Cayman will have higher maintenance and repair costs than the others.
...he said cayman s with 40k miles...unless new cars in these days come with 40k miles on odo

Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Psypher is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by renzop
No offense here, but have you have ever seen a Z's repair costs... Would make you fall out of your chair if you knew how much money I have put into mine in the last 6 years.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 PM
vtecsti is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Enilder
...he said cayman s with 40k miles...unless new cars in these days come with 40k miles on odo

Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Psypher
No offense here, but have you have ever seen a Z's repair costs... Would make you fall out of your chair if you knew how much money I have put into mine in the last 6 years.
compared to porsche, it's nothing though. (if you go through the dealer and have them do it with their parts) i do not have a Z but I have a G coupe and i don't think it's as bad as a porsche (i have a cayenne S and cost to maintain is no comparison against nissan/infiniti)
cant say much about domestics since i've never owned one but i am guessing it's a lot less than nissan/infiniti.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
I had a 350Z and it really didn't cost me much to maintain it.... just synthetic oil changes and maintenance; no problems. The mods on the other hand...

Motor Trend recently tested a 370Z versus a Cayman (forgot which one) and although they said the 370Z is going to match the Cayman performance-wise... the Cayman is way easier on daily driving duties, or words to that effect. That said, the 370Z will be a lot cheaper.

The Saturn Sky looks like a really nice car for the price, especially the redline version. Haven't driven one though.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by jherbias
I had a 350Z and it really didn't cost me much to maintain it.... just synthetic oil changes and maintenance; no problems. The mods on the other hand...

Motor Trend recently tested a 370Z versus a Cayman (forgot which one) and although they said the 370Z is going to match the Cayman performance-wise... the Cayman is way easier on daily driving duties, or words to that effect. That said, the 370Z will be a lot cheaper.

The Saturn Sky looks like a really nice car for the price, especially the redline version. Haven't driven one though.
cayman is easier as daily over 370z? have you done test driving for both cars? i think 370z is better suited for daily because it's...
a lot less to maintain (at least as far as the maintenance cost is concerned) 370z than cayman s and i believe 370z is more roomy ("trunk" space)

both values considered and for daily, i'd probably vote for 370z.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't decide between Cayman, 370Z, and Saturn Sky Redline