Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 987 protective headlight film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 AM
porsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud of
DIY 987 protective headlight film

Difficulty rating from 1 to 10. This is a 3.5 with a little patience.
Tools you will need:
Protective Film (2 pieces 17"x17")
scrap paper- the same size
pen or pencil
paper towels
squeegee
microfiber cloth
spray bottle
Olfa blade
water,rubbing alcohol, clear dishwasing liquid
I purchased A ClearBra for my audi about 5yrs ago. Installed it myself. It came with extra film that said it was to make your own headlight kit. I held onto it for the future. You might be able to go to a local shop in your area and ask for scrap pieces, make sure you let them know you plan on using it for headlights It is a thicker mil. I see shops discard them as soon as the machine cuts the patterns.
** I contacted 3M about the extra film they included for the headlights. Spoke to Jim Seely he informed me that the film they included in my kit is for headlights. It is their Aeroguard film which is used on Airplane lights. It has the standard 5 year warranty against turning color, it is specifically for headlight so it is thicker.**
The best mix, I feel, for solution is to do 75% distilled water, 25% rubbing alcohol and a teaspoon of clear dishwashing liquid soap. Mix it up real good in the spray bottle.
What you want to do first is clean the lights with rubbing alcohol, I used paper towels. Make sure the surface is completely dry.
Place the piece of scrap paper over the headlight

use your nail to score the ouline of the headlight.

make sure you didnt move the paper while scoring it.

now use your pen or pencil to trace out the shape.

once you have the shape traced use the Olfa blade to cut it out.

now that you have it cut out lets check it on the car.

looks pretty good to me

now use the piece of paper as a guide over the film, make sure you have the clear side facing up. Now cut out the film using the olfa blade.

once you have it cut out lets check it on the car.

fits nicely. flip the scrap paper to make the pattern for the other side. make sure to cut the film with the clear part facing up. check it by peeling a tip off.

separate the film using the blade carefully. once you have the tip of the blade in, turn the blade away from the film towards the white backing and cut a slit in the backing paper. this will make it easier to pull apart.

now pull it apart as you spray it with the mixed solution.

now spray the headlight alot. you may want to spray the film again before putting it on. solution should be dripping all over the place.

now place the film on the headlight. wiggle it so it is even on all sides. It is better to have it sitting a few mm from the bottom. this makes it easier to squeegee.

now while holding the opposite side squeegee the headlight from the longest tip to tip. continue to squeegee from the middle and go out

make sure you use your fingers to hold down the opposite side to prevent the film from moving.

once you pretty much have the thing down and all of the bubbles out we start the ends...

do not get frustrated these ends will pop up, you just have to hold them down with the squeegee.

it is a little annoying I know but they WILL stay down.
count to 40 while holding it down applying a good amount of pressure, 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9...

Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 AM
porsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud of
headlight film part 2

ahhh there we go, all gone. repeat if necessary, it will be necessary.

use the microfiber cloth to clean the headlight and overspray on the car, washing the car afterwords is a good idea too.

you can see the space on the edges.

NOW lets do the foglights, our foglights arent perfectly round. remove the shrouds CAREFULLY they pop off, clean the lights with the rubbing alcohol and paper towels. use the scrap paper to score the shape. once you have them cut lets check it on the car.

cut the shape over the film and pull apart the film from the backing spraying it immediately. have the foglight sprayed as well.

spray it again right before applying to the foglight.

now place it on the light and begin to squeegee from the middle out. The foglights are not flat so the ends will pop up alot.

do not get frustrated this is a little more difficult than the headlights because they are not as flat, dont give up. hold it for 30 seconds if you have to, maybe even longer.

your almost done. you shouldn't have to but you might want to check your work and see if there are any "fingers" that have popped up on the edges of the headlights.
*If for any reason they need to be removed or replaced, 3M says it can be peeled off like a sticker. Any glue that is left over can be cleaned off using a terry/microfiber cloth and the same solution used to install it. basically the same process as the clear bra*

YOUR ALL done!!! you just saved $50-120 dollars!!! now go fill up your gas tank!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 AM
LightHouse has much to be proud ofLightHouse has much to be proud ofLightHouse has much to be proud ofLightHouse has much to be proud ofLightHouse has much to be proud ofLightHouse has much to be proud ofLightHouse has much to be proud ofLightHouse has much to be proud of
Great write up! FYI you can purchase pre-cut kits to do these sort of things that will be cut to fit for most vehicles. Either way this shows how easy it is to install and now you won't have to worry about replacing those headlights or scratching them up.

Here is a place you can get it either way..

Headlight protection Film

Last edited by LightHouse; 05-08-2009 at 06:25 AM.