Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for install advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:45 PM
boxster marc is infamous around these parts
Looking for install advice

I'm going to be replacing a trim piece on my 987 steering wheel with one thats been painted body color. Does anyone have some directions to remove the large black center hub with the crest so I can get to the dark grey, "Y" shaped piece that runs up from the 6 O'clock position on the wheel and then to the left and right under the black hub. This doesn't include the 2 silver buttons at 3 & 9 O'clock. I'll try and attach a picture. Is it a DIY job or should I seek a pro?

Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:55 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
You're talking about removing the airbag (in which case, you should disconnect the negative lead to your battery, as you don't want the bag to inflate by accident on you while you're working around there), and possibly removing the whole steering wheel, so that you can get that trim piece painted. Here's a parts diagram for the steering wheel, if that helps.

If you're not familiar with what you're doing, I'd let a pro handle it.

Last edited by boxtaboy; 06-13-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:24 AM
The piece I'd be removing is piece #21. It doesn't look like its even held in by any screws or anything. Was told in another forum to insert a flathead screwdriver into the hole at the bottom back of the steering wheel and gently push up to pop off the airbag center black hub. Supposedly its in with a snap ring or something. Once thats off the piece just comes off gets replaced and bag popped back into place. It was recommeded to disconnect the negative ground of the battery to avoid any airbag accidents but the person having done it already didn't do the disconnect and had no problem.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Mrledzeppelin is infamous around these partsMrledzeppelin is infamous around these parts
Before doing any work around any component of the airbag system, you have to disconnect the battery and let the capacitors in the ctl mod power down. Its not worth the risk, I know a guy paralyzed b/c he didn't think this was a big deal. 2 mins should be plenty. Aside from that the piece is very easy to change, sounds like you got correct directions, tho I use a t25 screw driver, same difference.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Will use it wisely.