Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could I make a 987 2.7 a decent track car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:06 PM
AllBus is infamous around these parts
Could I make a 987 2.7 a decent track car?

Hey 6speeders!!

I just picked up a 987 2.7 5speed last month with 34k on the engine. Its not my daily driver but I would like to turn it into a decent track car to learn how to drive better. Is it a good platform to learn how to track? I'm also into TaG kart racing with the hopes of learning how to shifter race. What kind of upgrades would I have to do to get this 987 track ready?

Thanks for any input, AllBus

Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Mrledzeppelin is infamous around these partsMrledzeppelin is infamous around these parts
Absolutely!!

The best upgrade you could do is upgrade the nut behind the wheel. But aside from that for starters just make sure you have good brakes, good tires, the chassis sound. It is a good platform to get started on. You're not gonna get much more power out of that motor, so as you crave more you'd need to add lightness, upgrade brakes and all that good stuff.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM
thnxbabe has a spectacular aura aboutthnxbabe has a spectacular aura about
I agree with Zep. Spend the money on track time at first and then worry about upgrades. Add some high temp brake fluid, upgrade the pads if you like and you are all set. The car is very capable on the track, especially in the twisties.

Have fun!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mrledzeppelin
Absolutely!!

The best upgrade you could do is upgrade the nut behind the wheel. But aside from that for starters just make sure you have good brakes, good tires, the chassis sound. It is a good platform to get started on. You're not gonna get much more power out of that motor, so as you crave more you'd need to add lightness, upgrade brakes and all that good stuff.

LoL that's funny, I haven't heard that one before.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 PM
justaddcoffee is infamous around these parts
987 boxster or 987 cayman?

some HPDEs require a hardtop. check around with some of the local events to see what their rules for convertibles are if you're thinking about the boxster.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Former Vendor
erik@sachssport.com is infamous around these parts
Talking

Originally Posted by AllBus
Hey 6speeders!!

I just picked up a 987 2.7 5speed last month with 34k on the engine. Its not my daily driver but I would like to turn it into a decent track car to learn how to drive better. Is it a good platform to learn how to track? I'm also into TaG kart racing with the hopes of learning how to shifter race. What kind of upgrades would I have to do to get this 987 track ready?

Thanks for any input, AllBus
Congratulations! The 987 is an awesome platform! If it is a Boxster check with your local clubs to see who allows you to run a soft-top and/or get the proper modifcations done to be compliant.

Either way it is an awesome car. As other people have noted it is important to learn the car and learn to improve your own skills. Once you start realizing the areas on the car that can be improved then start making performance modifications. Many people start with tires/wheels or suspension. Personally I would start with the suspension. I feel it is a better investment for increased performance. Plus once you start switching wheels and tires for events you will probably need a trailer because...you cant just throw then in the frunk.

A good coilover will work wonders for improving handling. We have a relatively new coilover kit from SACHS Race Engineering that is awesome. If and when you are interested you can check it out at www.sachssport.com The nice thing about this set up is it allows 20 setting adjustments with 1 **** for compression and rebound and you can do it without jacking up the car. REALLY EASY! This offers you a really great street ride and, with a quick adjustment, an incredibly responsive track set up.

Good luck with your new toy!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
echoboy is infamous around these parts
I think alot of it would depend on how much $$ you'd want to spend and whether you could do the mods yourself.

I've been tinkering with the idea of adding a Plenum on my 2.7 Cayman.

Best of luck. I think this is one project you'll really enjoy.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 PM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mrledzeppelin
Absolutely!!

That's funny !!

Old 08-29-2009, 07:11 AM
RichP is infamous around these parts
I have a 2.7 I have autoX'ed a few times. The car is so very capable right out of the box, I don't think you need to do a thing for a while. Keeping the car a bit slower, less HP will help you build your skillset.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:43 AM
djmiroku is infamous around these parts
I just went to my first PCA DE, and I feel no need to modify my car until I either learn more or decide to make it a dedicated track car.

If you are a novice don't worry about mods, just bring a spare set of brake pads

Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 PM
ul2fly is infamous around these parts
Alignment will do more good than you would believe. Track time will warrant new pads and tires, so let those come as they will. Most important thing is get rest and be ready to learn, let the fast guys by and learn the car. Speed will come slowly.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:58 PM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
the old adage....speed equals money...how fast ya wanna go ?

Old 10-17-2009, 04:33 PM
ilahi25 is infamous around these parts
I've got a 2001 2.7l Boxster. I go to University of Loyola Chicago as a college student, and got the car at age 16. let me tell you, no accidents, just a bunch of speeding tickets. I've been going to tracks ever since, Drag, Curcuit tracks, and hell even highways. Start off really slow, the first 2 months i had my car, i'd go to big parking lots, set up cones, and practice apexes, high speed turns, 180's, never got to 360's though lol.

The car is perfect out of the box, no mods needed, all i have is a cold air intake, and man the car i a blast. its not fast in a straight line against, say an m3 or 911, but take her through the bendies and show the rear engine and front engines how its done.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 PM
davesfo is infamous around these parts
careful with pwer steering pump they can overheat