Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Power Upgrades on 986 - Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Coochas is infamous around these partsCoochas is infamous around these parts
Big Power Upgrades on 986 - Advice

Hi All,
I am thinking about adding some power to my 986 this winter. The suspensionw rocks (PSS9) but I would likely need to upgrade brakes (easy enough).

The two avenues I am considering are
1) Jake Raby. He can bore out a 2.5 to 2.9 and makeover the mechanicals of the motor to make it more robust. He gets about 260 hp in this fashion (200 stock). Add a turbo and it's about 300 hp.

2) Farnbacherloles engine swap. They can install 3.6, 3.6 X51 or 3.8 powerplants in a Boxster.

Has anyone here researched or gone either avenue? I'm wondering just what the cost is of these types of conversions and whether or not you would recommend doing it in hindsight.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:12 PM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Coochas
Hi All,
I am thinking about adding some power to my 986 this winter. The suspensionw rocks (PSS9) but I would likely need to upgrade brakes (easy enough).

The two avenues I am considering are
1) Jake Raby. He can bore out a 2.5 to 2.9 and makeover the mechanicals of the motor to make it more robust. He gets about 260 hp in this fashion (200 stock). Add a turbo and it's about 300 hp.

2) Farnbacherloles engine swap. They can install 3.6, 3.6 X51 or 3.8 powerplants in a Boxster.

Has anyone here researched or gone either avenue? I'm wondering just what the cost is of these types of conversions and whether or not you would recommend doing it in hindsight.
I think both options 1 and 2 are similarly priced at around $16k, if I'm not mistaken. Option one gives you a rebuilt engine with several upgrades that supposedly will prevent the supposed common engine failures inherent in the M96 engines (ie. IMS bolt, D chunk failure, lower temp T-stat to keep engine running cooler, etc.). While yielding 260hp after the rebuild is pretty good, that's still only about the same level of power output as a factory Boxster S of the 2004 vintage (258hp).

Option 2 will get you more power and a brand new engine. I would not want to put a Turbo on a Boxster engine, as it already has enough trouble handling the stress in stock form apparently for folks out there who've had IMS failures.

Me personally, I'd go with option 2, and get a brand new engine with big power, instead of the quality rebuild to an existing old engine. Now if Jake offered his full rebuild at $10k, instead, hmmmm.

Last edited by boxtaboy; 08-20-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Josh@TPCRACING
You missed the third, perhaps most cost effective and powerful option....
A TPCRacing Boxster Turbo Kit.
Our kit can take a stock 986 Boxster S from a pedestrian ~220whp all the way up to 370whp on only 5.5lbs of boost. 370whp translates to roughly 425hp. Imagine having that much HP on tap in your flyweight Boxster.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

His car is not a 986S, but a base 2.5L model that starts off with 200hp. He did mention a turbo in his post actually, but that it would offer only a nominal 40hp gain over the normally aspirated 260hp 2.9 bore out. You're saying your turbo kit offers a 175hp gain off of only a little boost pressure? Could a base 5-speed tranny in the base Boxster handle that kind of extra power for any good amount of time?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 PM
mptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to all
I have heard that the stock boxster engine isn't a good candidate for a Turbo or super charger. The pressure is just too great and engine failure isn't far off. Actually Jake R. and a few others stated that. I was thinking about a turbo, but was turned off by those comments.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM
mptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to all
Interesting. I have a 2001 "s" with 62k miles, and a triptronic. Would I be a candidate for a turbo? iF so How much to get the gains on your dyno pic? If you can't quote prices, please PM me. I am saving up for something big early next year. IE 3.6/3.8 swap or a turbo.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
mptoledo

I have a 2007 2.7 Liter Cayman and have been researching and talking to lots of current TPC Turbo owners and performance tuners that have installed them on Porsche cars,specifically current Cayman owners.
So far I have heard Nothing But GREAT responses from actual owners that have taken the leap to do this mod.The Quality is simply second to none and now Its come down to a Money Issue for me because I WANT IT!!!. All the opinions from TPC owners that I have read about and chated with with over the past year is they are 100% Happy with the Product and decision they made to Go FOR IT
If you have the $$ DO IT IMO
I REALLY hope I can Join the party someday

Old 08-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
To upgrade to a 3.8L is a huge expense. Somewhere on here is a thread when they did it to my car. FVD did it. After 30k miles, it is still bulletproof. However, they had to change out the electronics on the car for the variocam plus of the 3.8L crate motor. Also, I've heard that the factory is not onboard will all of the aftermarket shops doing this conversion and is requiring a core in return for a crate motor. Mine was done just as they were beginning to mandate the new policy. Not sure if it is the same now since it was a couple of years ago.

Option 2 is also pricey. For my conversion, it was about $30k. You've really gotta love your car for that.

Option 3 should be to sell your car and pay the difference for a used 3.2 Boxster S and then add something later. They have really come down in price for a used car.

Dave

Old 08-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
P.S. I love the RS Orange Turbo.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Porschepet
I have a 2007 2.7 Liter Cayman and have been researching and talking to lots of current TPC Turbo owners and performance tuners that have installed them on Porsche cars,specifically current Cayman owners.
So far I have heard Nothing But GREAT responses from actual owners that have taken the leap to do this mod.The Quality is simply second to none and now Its come down to a Money Issue for me because I WANT IT!!!. All the opinions from TPC owners that I have read about and chated with with over the past year is they are 100% Happy with the Product and decision they made to Go FOR IT
If you have the $$ DO IT IMO
I REALLY hope I can Join the party someday
Love your car. I would think about one, but I gotta have my rag top. I have had 4 convertibles,oops 5 now with my box, 2 mustangs gt's, 1 corvette, and my first love, my MGB!! And my 2001 "s".

What kind of gains in the 0-60/1/4 mile? (turbo), and what about the ims? I would hate for that to blow after dropping in some serious coinage!!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:37 AM
We don't yet have any acceleration number for this car. The only cars are customer cars, and I don't believe any have made it to the drag strip yet. However, in the 1/4 the car should be able to do mid 11s. 0-60 i would suspect would be somewhere in the 4 second to low 5 second range...all depends on how much you dislike your clutch.

As far as the IMS concerns. None of the Boxsters we've installed kits on have had these issues as of yet. There is really no telling which cars could suffer this problem and which ones will never experience this. There is absolutely no relation between IMS failures and the installation of a Turbo Kit. In fact, in 20+ years of working on thousands of Porsche vehicles, we have never witnessed an IMS failure first hand. It would also be possible that the extremely few IMS failures that have occurred were a result of using improper/low-grade oil or running too long between changes . All of our Pro Grand Am GT3 Cup cars ran the M96/97 engines and never experienced this issue. Long story short, IMS failures are extremely rare occurances. They have never been caused by one of our turbo/supercharger kits...EVER. You can't predict it or stop it from happening. All you can do is perform proper maintenance with the proper materials at the proper intervals. On a side note, though the factory manual requires oil changes be done every ~15,000miles, we highly recommend that oil changes be done every 5,000 miles(or sooner depending on track time) with Mobil1 or Redline or another high-grade lubricant.

Oh, I wasn't implying that your turbo causes IMS. I was just wondering if Porschepet did the ims bearing upgrade. I don't know if people/haters have used the few ims failures to scare the rest of us. I would just hate to put that much money into my care without insuring my Ims bearings had been replaced.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
mptoledo

I have not had the TPC turbo installed on my Cayman yet.
I have been doing research and talking with Current TPC owners my local Tuner MAX RPM in Bremerton Wa about all the pros and cons of this proposed project .
I am 100% confident that the TPC product is exactly what I want and I believe the Quality and longevity is there as long as the owner of the car takes care of things on their end.
I hope to be the first 2.7 Liter Cayman owner to have one on my car

Old 08-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Coochas is infamous around these partsCoochas is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the responses.
I guess I'm still on the fence as to what to do. Maybe I'll wait a year and consider buying an 07 Orange Box/Cayman to match my Turbo. Hmmmmmm.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 AM
tightbox is infamous around these parts
Dave, what ecu program are you running? I have the 996 7.8 DME in my 3.8 conversion, but it is only running the 3.6 factory program. Seems to run ok, but I am sure there is more power on tap with the right tuning.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts

As always keep the questions coming!
Question. With your turbo kit installed would the car still pass smog inspection in Calif. or would we have to remove it every two years for inspection? "Track car only" for us in the land of the air quality *****?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 AM
tightbox is infamous around these parts
How do the EVO DME tuning files compare to Softronic?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Big Power Upgrades on 986 - Advice