Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Why did you buy a boxster, because of looks or it was the cheapest porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
that is funny.... you seem mad....lolhila rious
lets just say ...let down alittle...the car is very well made...i,m coming from a c6 z06 where you can miss gears and the torque is still there...my vette pals call it a pooch on the porch cuz it cant run wit da big dawgs

Old 10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
didn't you test drive the thing 1st extanker?

i took out a Boxster for a weekend and decided it just didn't have the umph so focused on the S.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cpa4S
didn't you test drive the thing 1st extanker?

i took out a Boxster for a weekend and decided it just didn't have the umph so focused on the S.
drove the cay first then the s ...took the s right back...road like a truck

Old 10-26-2009, 02:10 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by epicjon
i have never been a fan of the boxster and want to know why people buy them ?
What are you a fan of?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Lead Foot is infamous around these parts
For me, cost was not and issue. It is my second Porsche and I wanted the truest sports car I could buy. In old school thinking, a soft top, mid engine, great handling, and bucket seats are the elements of a "real" sports car. It has all these elements. I certainly have not been disapointed! That was the criteria I used for my choice.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
Amazing that people still think the Boxster is bought simply because it's a "cheap" Porsche. I own a Cayman S, not a Boxster, but the handling is darn near exact. I also test drove a 911 at the same time but simply had more fun in the Cayman. It wasn't at all a matter of cost, but a matter of what I enjoyed more.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 AM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
Bought the S orginally as a mid-life crisis car - good price (at $50k ) and great handling convertible.

But now the P-car bug has hit, planning on getting a 3rd and saving the Boxster S for kids in a few years.

A friend bought an S2k at the same time. Even though the S2k is better in the super twisties and I mean super twisties, its just too buzzy and boy-racer like.

IMHO, P-cars have better legs for mid to big tracks and everyday living.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:42 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by muifast
Bought the S orginally as a mid-life crisis car - good price (at $50k ) and great handling convertible.

But now the P-car bug has hit, planning on getting a 3rd and saving the Boxster S for kids in a few years.

A friend bought an S2k at the same time. Even though the S2k is better in the super twisties and I mean super twisties, its just too buzzy and boy-racer like.

IMHO, P-cars have better legs for mid to big tracks and everyday living.
honestly, cayman and boxter are still very expensive cars, do not get it confused, they are great cars, the handling is amazing, i drove several, they are really nice. At the end of the day who is telling you anything for the most part, you paid 50-60 grand for a too seater, that is still money... It is all about personal preference, because you can get a used 997 for about 50-60, or buy a new cayman S for about the same, so it is personal preference, if you ask me......

Old 10-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Samir has a spectacular aura aboutSamir has a spectacular aura aboutSamir has a spectacular aura about
The drive. It was the drive. It handles curves so well, and top down on a sunny day. And it still turns heads like it was a Ferrari (at least in this town).

Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 AM
insmanblue is infamous around these parts
For me it came down to the car's feedback and handling. I test drove an 09 997S and the steering felt numb. I didn't like the fact that the car has a heavy rear end and you felt that rear end swing around on corners. I really like the looks of the 997S though.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by insmanblue
For me it came down to the car's feedback and handling. I test drove an 09 997S and the steering felt numb. I didn't like the fact that the car has a heavy rear end and you felt that rear end swing around on corners. I really like the looks of the 997S though.
thanks Insmanblue...i like it too.....

Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
did i forget to mention the loooks too - the Boxster just looks so good imo

Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Jacques79 is infamous around these parts
Because it's mid-engined, lightweight and it's a true roadster. Plus getting to 60 in 5 seconds helps.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
I bought a Boxster (S) not because its the cheapest Porsche but its the best handling and fun daily driver at this price range of all German and Japanese sports cars.

Not to mention this,
Porsche has a financial problem with today’s Boxster/Cayman/911 line-up. According to an analyst’s report seen by Autocar, the cost of the components that make up one of the flat-six models is perilously close to the base price of a Boxster. Indeed, the entry-level Boxster is only just over half the price of an entry-level 911, despite the two cars costing a similar sum to make.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 AM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Actually, this question can easily be turned around and asked "Why did you buy a 911...because it was the priciest Porsche?"

I don't have a Porsche so I guess I can state impartially: the 911 is a great car I assume but I agree w/ Clarkson. I just don't 'get it'. It is rear-heavy and you need to be a better-than-avg driver to get the same level of performance vs a reg driver in a mid-engine car. The common understanding is that the Boxster/Cayman had to be underpowered in order not to affect 911 sales, still, the former is already good enough to beat the latter handling-wise. Also, w/ its top-of-the-line CGT being mid-engined, Porsche really has the unenviable task of deciding when to get rid of its key marque 911 or convert it to mid-engine someday. I mean, how much can the 911 be improved upon in its present setup? Why else do you think it doesn't have more than 6 cylinders? It's too rear heavy! I just don't get the deal w/ the 911.

Last edited by tranquility; 10-31-2009 at 09:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question: Why did you buy a boxster, because of looks or it was the cheapest porsche?