Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Why did you buy a boxster, because of looks or it was the cheapest porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 PM
epicjon is infamous around these parts
Question: Why did you buy a boxster, because of looks or it was the cheapest porsche?

i have never been a fan of the boxster and want to know why people buy them ?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Killer Banana is infamous around these parts
250 HP
2800 pounds
RWD
Mid-engine balance
Great steering feel
Outstanding brakes
Very comfortable

Find me another car for sale in North America that satisfies all of the above. (The Lotus Elise would sort of fit the bill, if its interior were not so spartan.)

Old 10-18-2009, 11:14 PM
epicjon is infamous around these parts
what year did you buy and was it brand new or used?

Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Killer Banana is infamous around these parts
2002 Boxster S, bought used a year ago.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:36 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
they are affordable porsches, but they are a nice starter car before you hit the big league with the CS's/C4s's & the turbo's.... i like them especially the cayman, because of the handling on the track and the extra horsepower. Cayman's just comes in a hardtop, that one of the main difference, and extra horsepower, but nearly the same car. I like both though even though i would ever purchase one.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 AM
ilahi25 is infamous around these parts
I got one on my 16th Birthday 2 years ago. And let me tell you. Its the best car anyone could start out with for a sports car. Near 50/50 weight distribution, outstanding control through apexes, beautiful sound, not the best acceleration, but its capable of speeds of 150mph, who needs more on the roads?

And not gonna lie, it looks, in my opinion, quite a bit nicer than the 911 only because of the rear. It's got beautiful curves, just yesterday a guy in a parking lot told me it looked like a girls a** from behind with the exhaust tip in the middle, a bit creepy, but when i looked at it, the creep had a point.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 AM
DroptopS is infamous around these parts
987S

I wanted a convertible for those warm months that would offer performance without compromise. The Boxster was designed from the ground up as a drop top and in my opinion is a better cabriolet platform than the 911. Yeah it gives up some ponies to the vaunted 911 but having owned a 911 Cabrio and Targa the Boxster S is a much tighter handling car imo and feels almost coupe rigid.

Now looks wise I think both cars 997 and 987 look great with the top down but I care less for the look of the 997 with the top up. Hardtop installed I would give the nod to the 997.

With that said, the 987 and 997 aesthetically are my favorite looking cars period with the exception of some old Porsche 356s early 911RS, the Ferrari 250GT and 246GT/S Dino.

Cost btw while a factor was not the deciding factor. Porsche has built a beautiful capable platform in the 987 and I think most folks that have driven either the hardtop (Cayman) and/or softtop (Boxster) versions of these magnifcinet cars come away being nothing but impressed

BTW why are you not a fan.

Last edited by DroptopS; 10-19-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Got rid of a DB9 and was looking for a replacement. Was very unhappy with total quality and reliability. It was basicly a toy so wanted something for the fun factor. I felt a Porsche would be nice car and the engineering along with the higher volume production would be less of a hassle dealing with long term.

Was shopping for a 911 Turbo coupe and saw the RS 60. Had driven many 911s and Turbos, along with many other cars, however never a Boxster. The RS 60 overall package along with the two trunks was very attractive so I had to do a test drive.

Simply one of the best driving and fun cars I have ever driven. Had the dealer locate me one with many options including PCCBs and purchased it. I plan on keeping it for some time so will be looking at some options for a little more power latter on, but great car and always puts a smile on my face.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by epicjon

Silly question.

Spend and afternoon behind the wheel of one on a back road and you wouldn't be asking this.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
buckwheat986

+1 100% on that . Some things are just too hard to explain on paper ,You have to experience them for a true analysis .
I have friends that own boxsters (Guys and Gals) and they smile more then anyother car owner I have ever seen.
IMO the boxster owners are some of the coolest car enthuisest to hang around with .Not all of us can afford a GT-3 or a Turbo but we LOVE sports cars just the same.The boxster has it all ,Looks ,Speed ,Fun ,Porsche Quality at a great value untouchable by the competition.
I personally would not hesitate to buy one ,Especially the Orange Limited Edition or the new Blue that just came out .
A pure Joy to own

Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 PM
ofishbein is infamous around these parts
Porsche's only mid-engined option at the time (bought mine before the Cayman was born).

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Kirk is infamous around these partsKirk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
they are affordable porsches, but they are a nice starter car before you hit the big league with the CS's/C4s's & the turbo's....

I think the Boxster is a true auto enthusiast's car. The handling, moderate weight, and good power make it a back road wonder. I stepped up to the "big league" and bought a 996 C4S with more power and better brakes. Luckily though I still kept my Boxster S and it will out handle my C4S any day. The Box is a LOT more fun on twisty mountain roads. I wouldn't discount Boxsters as just being the cheap and affordable Porsches. They're also excellent sports cars, especially the S model.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:39 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porschepet
+1 100% on that . Some things are just too hard to explain on paper ,You have to experience them for a true analysis .
I have friends that own boxsters (Guys and Gals) and they smile more then anyother car owner I have ever seen.
IMO the boxster owners are some of the coolest car enthuisest to hang around with .Not all of us can afford a GT-3 or a Turbo but we LOVE sports cars just the same.The boxster has it all ,Looks ,Speed ,Fun ,Porsche Quality at a great value untouchable by the competition.
I personally would not hesitate to buy one ,Especially the Orange Limited Edition or the new Blue that just came out .
A pure Joy to own

I have a 700hp turbo and just got a Cayman S as a daily driver. One of the best handling cars I have ever driven, period. I dont like convertibles so never considered the boxster but it also is a great car. Entry level for Porsche is the top of the food chain for most other car makes.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:41 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Porschepet
A pure Joy to own
Porschepet, your ride looks sick.... enjoy
that wing is crazy cool....., it make the car look like it is moving @ a stand still
also it may be a affordable porsche but on a scale of the other cars it's in, they are expensive, they could run up to high 60's with all the options...

Last edited by rvhpno80; 10-20-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM
ag_boxster is infamous around these partsag_boxster is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by epicjon
I bought the Boxster for the handling and drop-top. With the 3.2 S engine it has nice power to weight ratio so I can enjoy the gitty-up as well. I also still own the 1973 914 2.0 I bought new in May 1973 and in the past have owned a 1966 911 manufactured in Sept 1965 (man, I wish I still had that one) a 1968 911R (man, I wish I still had that one), a 1973 1/2 911T (man, I wish I had gotten the 911S and still had it), a 1979 928 (my wife wishes I still had that one) and now I have the Boxster. I believe another 911 (997) is in my future, but I will keep the Boxster and the 914, and defiantly add the Cayman to complete the mid-engined Porsche stable.

May I ask what you drive and can we see pictures?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question: Why did you buy a boxster, because of looks or it was the cheapest porsche?