Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly Buying a Cayman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Point2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
It would be way behind if the drivers were the same. The majority of 911 owners out there cant push their car to that 10/10th’s mark without having the car try to kill them(rear engines are trickier to push).
Walter Rohrl lapped the Nordschleife faster in a Cayman S than in a 997 Carrera (non-S). You don't think he can push a 911?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
My Cayman is by no means a fair comparison as it has 520hp and a proper suspension. However, every stock Cayman S will whoop a stock Carrera S. Cayman #38 just qualified ahead of the fastest 911 in the Continental Tires Cup. This is a mute discussion. Porsche is very afraid of the success of the Cayman platform.

All I see on youtube is 911s getting eaten up, GT3s pull away on the straight away just to be pulled back in in the turns.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:58 AM
EMarkDDS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
It would be way behind if the drivers were the same. The majority of 911 owners out there cant push their car to that 10/10th’s mark without having the car try to kill them(rear engines are trickier to push). I can get in the cayman ½ asleep and push the car to its limit. You can take from that two things. The cayman is very easy to drive, and it doesn’t have near enough power considering what the car is capable of. I agree with Clarkson that when a manufacturer holds back intentionally just so they can fill a market gap, its unacceptable and so will be that cars performance.

Off the lot the Cayman is a disappointment if you’re an able driver. Still a very well built, pretty good at the auto x or smaller tracks, comfortable nice ride. What percentage of 987 owners actually go for large power gains via a turbo kit? I would bet its less then 1%. If you want to see how they do on the track against one another, youtube it. There are so many cayman vs … vids out there. If you could only have the turbo or the cayman? Its fun asking questing I know the answer to. If you think how much Porsche makes off of the turbo, it cost almost three times as much and doesn’t have 3X the material, or 3x the labor, or 3x the performance for that matter. I think a 3.8 might be due when I get up in mileage. Turbo kits are very rarely all they are said to be. Sway bars, bilsteins, and an x51 is the way it should come off the lot. Only thing I have done is gotten rid of the crap bose system.

With all that said, picking a car to drive primarily for fun on the road has a lot to do with personal preference and what makes you happy. For going fast on the track it has to do with numbers.

With some negotiating you can get a Cayman S sub 15k miles for the low to mid 30s. I haven’t blue booked a gtr, but if you can work the trade get a gt3. No one will ague against that car. It is a smile making fun time machine!!! Built to its full potential too.
I was looking at 996 GT3's, but they are probably out of the price range I was considering. A Cayman or Cayman S is closer.

BTW, thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear the positives of the Cayman, but I certainly want to hear all sides to it. I figure that if I'm able to drive the Cayman to its limit in a short period of time, then I would strip weight, upgrade the suspension, roll cage, turbo, etc. Upgrade the car as my skill level increases.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
Just a quick an dirty search and these are from Porsche's own site CPO and approved, not the price I would pay:

Cayman S 2006 Yellow/Beige 3,117 $ 37,999 Porsche of Buffalo

Cayman S 2006 Black 19,450 $ 33,900 Paul Miller Porsche

Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Schwabe
Just a quick an dirty search and these are from Porsche's own site CPO and approved, not the price I would pay:

Cayman S 2006 Yellow/Beige 3,117 $ 37,999 Porsche of Buffalo

Cayman S 2006 Black 19,450 $ 33,900 Paul Miller Porsche
I don't know...the black '06 for $33,900 CPO is looking pretty tasty! I've got an appointment today at 2pm to look at an '06 Cayman (base model). But it's more than the S with the same miles on it.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Point2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by EMarkDDS
I don't know...the black '06 for $33,900 CPO is looking pretty tasty! I've got an appointment today at 2pm to look at an '06 Cayman (base model). But it's more than the S with the same miles on it.
The $33,900 CPO car is cheap, but it's a Tiptronic S. The cheapest CPO manual CS I could find is a silver '06 at Leith Imports with PASM and Sport Chrono asking $35,899.

Last edited by Point2Point; 01-29-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 PM
2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough
FWIW, a Gen II might be a better choice than a Gen I, and a CS would be better than a regular Cayman. The extra TQ never hurts on corner exit speeds.

The Gen II with the DFI engine seems to be a better engine if you are inclined to track the Cayman for an extended period of time. As Schwabe mentioned check the former (caymanclub) planet-9 site for lots of details.

A LSD/TBD would be amongst the 1st mods to do on a Cayman to really enhance the handling.

The stock Porsche seats are extremely uncomfortable to use with a helmet due to the awkward driving position and the shape of the active headrest design, a bucket seat is a must for any serious tracking.

IMHO: The GTR is only fun when driving fast, but the Cayman on the other hand is very enjoyable to drive even at low speeds, and nothing compares to it's driving experience short of another well sorted out MR car.

The 996GT3 does not handle as well as a CS either GenI or GenII, still prefer my 08CS over the 996GT3 that I used to own way back in 05.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Well, I test drove one today. I fit in fine, and I fit perfectly with my helmet on. Didn't even need to lower the seat 100%. So THAT'S a big question answered!

It was a base model, not the S. I think I'd rather go for the S...it was nice, but it didn't feel quick. The steering was dynamite; very light and responsive. Engine note was awesome; better than the GTR. The 5 speed didn't feel very crisp; I hear the 6 speed is better. And there's plenty of room for a little heel-toe downshifting. I don't think the dealer knew what the hell I was talking about (or maybe he could care less) when I pointed that out.

So anyway, as long as The Boss approves, looks like I'm getting a Cayman S! I don't think I'll get the Gen II model; too much money at this point.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Oh, and for mods, I'm looking at a LSD, GT3 seats, harness bar, and a harness for starters.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 AM
2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by EMarkDDS
Well, I test drove one today. I fit in fine, and I fit perfectly with my helmet on. Didn't even need to lower the seat 100%. So THAT'S a big question answered!

It was a base model, not the S. I think I'd rather go for the S...it was nice, but it didn't feel quick. The steering was dynamite; very light and responsive. Engine note was awesome; better than the GTR. The 5 speed didn't feel very crisp; I hear the 6 speed is better. And there's plenty of room for a little heel-toe downshifting. I don't think the dealer knew what the hell I was talking about (or maybe he could care less) when I pointed that out.

So anyway, as long as The Boss approves, looks like I'm getting a Cayman S! I don't think I'll get the Gen II model; too much money at this point.

Thanks for the input, guys!
FYI, read up on the issues with the Gen 1 Cayman engine.

There are known issues regarding oil starvation and oil ingestation issues on the Gen 1 Cayman engine when you run with R-compounds or submit the engine to serious g-loads (depends on the track). Also be aware of the Power Steering issues with the Cayman. (there are the RMS and IMS issues as well BTW)

The DFI engine block used on the Gen 2 Cayman is a much better block than the Gen 1, there are reasons why Porsche's driving school at Barber Motorsports didn't use the Gen 1 Cayman and are using the Gen 2's now.

Highly recommend going over the threads over at the other forum that have a lot of details, before you jump into the purchasing process.

Installing a Short Shift Kit would be mod #2 right after the LSD/TBD, the throws on the standard shifter are way too long.

I love my 08 Cayman S Sport but I don't dare to take it to it's maximum potential due to fears of blowing up the engine. Seriously looking into upgrading to a Gen II even if I take a hit on my 08.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 AM
I have no fears of blowing up my engine as my mods have already shown. To each their own.

If you really get a Cayman I recommend to check out Planet 9. Most info on Caymans, especially for track prep with tons of articles.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Schwabe
I have no fears of blowing up my engine as my mods have already shown. To each their own.

If you really get a Cayman I recommend to check out Planet 9. Most info on Caymans, especially for track prep with tons of articles.
FWIW: I was referring to the reliability of the Gen I engine over extended periods of time at the track under substantial amount of g-loads, IIRC the OP mentioned that this was going to be his track oriented car, for regular street use or spirited driving the engine as it comes from the factory is more than capable.

The amount and the duration of the g-loads will depend on the track as well as the speed that is carried on sweepers (that usually causes the oil starvation and oil ingestation problems), as such the problems might not be encountered by every person that tracks the Gen 1 Cayman.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:57 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
I just picked up a gorgeous 06 Cayman S today... I don't know too many cars that come off the lot and are going to be completely trouble free if you track it hard and often, thus the reasons why we mod our cars... car will see track time this month... and I will mod as I become more familiar with the car and be able to track how the mods will improve lap times. I'll see you over on Planet-9 Schwabe!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Very nice, congratulations and enjoy the ride.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possibly Buying a Cayman