Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exporting CAN->US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
9eighty6 is infamous around these parts
Exporting CAN->US

Hi Everyone -

I am in the process of moving from Ontario to New York and I have to change my Boxster over. Has anyone exported a car from Canada to the US? Any idea of what the process is? I believe I need a letter from Porsche stating that the emissions requirements are the same ... that shouldn't be too bad, but what about:

When do I switch to US insurance?
When do I go to the Ministry of Transportation (CAN)? The DMV?

Help me out if you can!

Thanks

Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't Buffalo a suburb of Ontario?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 AM
wabbit636 is infamous around these parts
I imported 2 cars 1.5 years ago. You need the letter from the manufacturer and then fill out the Cdn Customs form accordingly. For you to import it it must meet FMVSS & US EPA minus the labeling (as it should because if a Porsche). If it doesn't then are other options available depending on your situation but it will only be a temporary solution. As for insurance, just let them know you are heading to the US. I kept my Cdn Insurance until a few weeks after my arrival before switching but confirm with your company. At the border, you will show all your paperwork (insurance, letter from Porsche, the Customs forms, etc) and they will stamp and sign your customs form accordingly. Then go to the DMV with your customs papervork, original sales receipt and all (might have to get it inspected first as well). Get your Us insurance started. Its realively easy.

Just curious, where in NY are you heading?

Hope this helps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.