Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine is not responding with gas pedal when press.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 09:13 AM
opass is infamous around these parts
Engine is not responding with gas pedal when press.

After 30 min hard driving in the mountain area, I took 30 minutes break and start an engine, it fired up...engine running...HOWEVER...when step on the gas pedal all the way. Engine remain at idle. The 6 speed tranmission is working as I can hear the engage sound. A few minutes later...engine check light up (not flashing). Little water (clear) coming from the muffler. Appear no oil leak.

Once a while when I step the gas padal fully, rpm seems to go up 1-200 rpm higher for 2 seconds and back to idle again.

Folks...what is wrong with my 2000 Boxster S with 45K miles on the clock?

Old 12-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Former Vendor
Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !
It sounds to me like the problem does not lie with the engine but rather the throttle response. Maybe a throttle cable or throttle body or butterfly vale. Have the car checked out. Hope all is OK.

Old 12-25-2004, 08:47 PM
update...The mechanic said .....throttle body most likely is the cause.

Will quote me for the price on Monday.

Here is my questions now.

How much does it cost for the throttle body?

How long does it take to repair?

Old 12-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Former Vendor
Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !
I called it first!

Hope the bill isn't too bad. Let us know.

Old 12-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Should I go it myself?

By looking at my Boxster CD manuel....replacing the throttle body should NOT be that difficult. The lcoation of this part is right on top of the engine and connect by manifold, rubber sleeve, electric plug, throttle body holder with 1 screw holding it and few more other screws. EASY TO GAIN ACCESS.

I may even replace the seal of the throttle body, throttle potentionmeter just to make sure if these parts are not way expensive. What do you think?

Should I or the mechanic do this job?

Old 12-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor
Unless you are experienced with I would not risk doing engine damage to save a few hundred dollars.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Stryke,

Well....Since the sumptom of this problem could link to other components as well just like my mechanic and you mention before, replacing the throttle body is 1st place to check anyway by the mechanic and pretty straight forward to do. It should not create more risk and make this sitution worse.

I should be able to complete replacing the throttle body within 1-2 hours max without jacking the car, getting under it or special tools. This job only require basic tool and work right on top of the engine.

I think you get a point not to mess around for a few hundred dollars, but the mechanic said it might involve more unkown parts until it can be running. I hope it will never reach to the computer stuff...etc. That's why I have this idea. $$ add up pretty quickly. Specially it trouble me when the 20 yrs Porsche master mechanic never seen this problem before.

regd,

Jackey

Last edited by opass; 12-26-2004 at 11:44 AM.