Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else in love with the Boxster Spyder as much as I am??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 AM
navanod is infamous around these partsnavanod is infamous around these parts
I just created a registry for the Boxster Spyder... You can view it here;
http://www.987spyder.com/

Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 AM
6speedRob is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drcollie
You're not going to see any discounts on these until Christmas at the earliest, expect to pay full MSRP (or close to it) on a BoxSpy until the newness wears off, then they will languish on dealer lots like all specialty cars eventually do.

The Erect-a-top is going to be a huge pain. Its single ply, and REALLY will be for use in warm climes just for emergency use when the rain comes. It won't have the triple liner of the standard Boxster Top, nor of course the ease of operation. The car itself will be lower by 1" and it will be more harsh on the ride as well. My Box S has 19" wheels on it and is harsh enough already for a street car, I can't imaging dialing in even more unless I want a track car. Most all will come with the A/C and radio option boxes checked off, you can count on that. You would probably have to special order one without those two options.

I'd not trade my standard Boxster for this one, just because it has a cool spoiler and speed humps. The mainline car is far more practical for daily use and driving. But if you have a stable of cars and can afford to have a whimsical one such as this to take out on perfect sunny days, then it would be a great toy.
I disagree completely. Do you really need a triple insulated, padded, lined, heated, cooled see through yadda yadda yadda roof on a convertible sports car? HELL NO.

Will the top be more than adequate for a daily driver even in a northern climate in the middle of winter? HELL YES.

Is this car just a Boxster that's been lowered? HELL NO.

Does this car distance itself from the standard Boxster with significantly improved dynamics, driving feel and appearance? HELL YES.

EVERY review published says this car is brilliant. To classify it as a tarted up Boxster does it a disservice not unlike calling a GT3 a tarted up 997.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 AM
08 944 is infamous around these parts08 944 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up The new Boxster Spyder is beautiful!

I love the new 2011 Boxster Spyder! It has a ton of torque and is awesome looking! Here is a photo of the one that came in on Saturday.

Attached Images    
Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 6speedRob
I disagree completely. Do you really need a triple insulated, padded, lined, heated, cooled see through yadda yadda yadda roof on a convertible sports car? HELL NO.

Will the top be more than adequate for a daily driver even in a northern climate in the middle of winter? HELL YES.

Does this car distance itself from the standard Boxster with significantly improved dynamics, driving feel and appearance? HELL YES.

EVERY review published says this car is brilliant. To classify it as a tarted up Boxster does it a disservice not unlike calling a GT3 a tarted up 997.
Absolutely correct.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:18 AM
ESEL is a glorious beacon of lightESEL is a glorious beacon of lightESEL is a glorious beacon of lightESEL is a glorious beacon of lightESEL is a glorious beacon of light
Porschedlr,

That car looks great! I assume you may be a Porsche dealer buy your avatar and that it is already sold, correct?

Last edited by ESEL; 04-02-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Venom is infamous around these parts
Definitely an interesting concept. Digging the pull handle.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 AM
PRS 7 is infamous around these parts
FYI.

And yes, I am interested in the Spyder also.

PORSCHE HAS NOTIFIED NHTSA OF A DEFECT IN CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 BOXSTER SPYDER 2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE PASSENGER VEHICLES. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE LOCKING HOOK ON THE SUN SHIELD (TEMPORARY SOFT TOP) MAY NOT ENGAGE CORRECTLY INTO THE LOCK CATCH WHICH IS POSITIONED ON THE WINDSCREEN FRAME OF THE VEHICLE.IF THE SUN SHIELD IS NOT FULLY LOCKED, THE SUN SHIELD CAN OPEN WHEN TRAVELLING AT HIGHER SPEEDS INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.DEALERS WILL HAVE BOTH THE LOCKING HOOK AND LOCK CATCH REPLACED WITH REDESIGNED COMPONENTS. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PORSCHE AT 1-800-545-8039.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 AM
navanod is infamous around these partsnavanod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PRS 7
FYI.

And yes, I am interested in the Spyder also.

PORSCHE HAS NOTIFIED NHTSA OF A DEFECT IN CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 BOXSTER SPYDER 2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE PASSENGER VEHICLES. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE LOCKING HOOK ON THE SUN SHIELD (TEMPORARY SOFT TOP) MAY NOT ENGAGE CORRECTLY INTO THE LOCK CATCH WHICH IS POSITIONED ON THE WINDSCREEN FRAME OF THE VEHICLE.IF THE SUN SHIELD IS NOT FULLY LOCKED, THE SUN SHIELD CAN OPEN WHEN TRAVELLING AT HIGHER SPEEDS INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.DEALERS WILL HAVE BOTH THE LOCKING HOOK AND LOCK CATCH REPLACED WITH REDESIGNED COMPONENTS. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PORSCHE AT 1-800-545-8039.
Might note that only 9 Spyders were recalled. None were initially planned to be. Porsche initiated a NO SALE on the Spyder right after a few left Port. Some dealers ignored the memo and sold the Spyder anyway... thus the only 9 recalls. Right now plenty of Spyders are on hold (at dealers and at Port) until the replacement latch is deployed from Porsche. A fix is in place and production was delayed a little, but continues with the roof corrected going forward. No ETA is set for the replacement parts.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
I love it too, but as it has been stated, not the most practical car, but not all cars are designed that way and Porsche intended this car for a specific audience.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:33 PM
nacelle is infamous around these parts
Could not agree more!!!

Originally Posted by 6speedRob

Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
DJamsPorsche is infamous around these parts
It would make for an awsome extra pair of wheels, but that top is hideous

Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
lobo1186 is infamous around these partslobo1186 is infamous around these partslobo1186 is infamous around these parts
imagine a TPC turbo in that baby. just think great suspension. great brakes. LSD... MAN that would be the fixings for a real rocket.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM
JJB
JJB is infamous around these parts
I did not realize any had hit U.S. dealer showrooms

Originally Posted by porschedlr
I love the new 2011 Boxster Spyder! It has a ton of torque and is awesome looking! Here is a photo of the one that came in on Saturday.
I am so jealous. I cannot wait to see one in person. How difficult is the top to install?

JJB

Old 04-11-2010, 03:04 PM
bavariamotorist is infamous around these parts
I have been in love with it at first sight!! I want to trade my S/C Elise for one!!

The only thing I am thinking is: I know the car will seem slow to me after a while and I'll want more power. Any power mods available for this new and improved motor yet? I found an ECU flash for Cayman S's. I'm sure they won't do much, if anything, anyhow, but I was just wondering if anyone happened to know Exhausts are cool too. I want to keep it simple!

Oh, and I'm going six-speed manual. No sense in having a stripped down version and then adding the PDK IMO

Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 PM
winkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of light
Agreed. I always felt the Boxster felt too...unbalanced somehow, so I went with the 911 C4S cab. If this had been an option back then, I probably would have gone this way. Even now, I'm considering selling it and "minimizing up" to the Spyder.

This would be a 2nd weekend car for me, but the GF probably won't like it as much given the suspension.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else in love with the Boxster Spyder as much as I am??