Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever put a 997/996tt engine in a cayman s before?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
TPC Turbo installed last July(?) with 20k miles on the dial. Just hit 29k this morning on the way to work. It's my daily driver and hasn't missed a beat = ) I typically run just around 5 psi with a very linear gain set on my boost controller and crank up to about 6.5 psi w/ a sharper gain for those spirited drives and motorcycles on the private freeway I sometimes find myself driving on.....

highly recommended! the installation is extremely involved and there aren't too many shops out there I'd trust with the install. My friend's shop in San Diego, Euro Auto Spot (specializes in BMWs) did an excellent job on my car. If you're on the east coast, definitely have TPC do the work.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM
lobo1186 is infamous around these partslobo1186 is infamous around these partslobo1186 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Venom
After all the Cayman hype with mid-engine balance/handling, I think it's time for Porsche to make a mid engine 911. I bet 911 production would ramp up significantly.

it wouldnt be a 911. it would be a cayman or boxster . the engine location is more than just that its a following cult following in fact. the rear engine has been the 911 since it began. moving it to the middle would like i said make it a 987.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
I'm dragging this up from the dead, for about 6 hours today I considered selling off my 996TT and going this route. I'm still kinda curious; so I'm still doing research as this is just the kind of project I like to do for fun.

Theoretically speaking, it could be accomplished. If anyone has an 01/02 Boxster with a bad engine and high miles, if the shell price is right, I could be talked into a project. (I have an 02 TT engine that is a 'spare'.

With 996 TT engines coming down (I've seen $8500 for high miles to $14k for 20k miles) and CLEAN boxsters getting down to 8-12k in prices, this really should be considered as it's not nearly as expensive as it once was.

But lets walk down the theory of what it would actually take. I've successfully completed some complicated engine swaps in the past. Every time I've talked about swap projects I've seen all of the above responses typed by big names almost verbatim to what we see above. Google will find those projects if you're so inclined.

Your mindset and logic for questions and research will be:

How do I best adapt the technology used on the TT engine to work in the Boxster? Meaning, what can you omit or control with aftermarket controllers and let the Boxster DME think the engine is really NA.

For research. I'd start with a 996 narrow body to 996tt conversion. I'm sure someone has done this. (I seem to recall it being done with air/water IC's?) Since a 996 naturally aspirated engine has been fit to a Boxster, I'd work backwards from this point.

The trick would be to make sure the variable lift cam/timing engines are similar. (I forget which Porsche uses as I'm still a Porsche newb). Then find someone to flash your DME with proper injector sizing for a turbo map. Or swap out the DME with something later that will communicate with your CAN bus. This is going to take someone like Wayne with Pelican parts to answer some of these questions (or other known engine swap guys) Regardless, the logic is sound and you'll have to do some research.

Then, a very close comparison between the TT engine and the boxster cayman electronics with the goal to convert as much of the TT to Boxster as possible as you'll likely need/want the Boxster wiring harness. In 'theory' the only differences should be the boost system and addition of 1 way valves to the majority of the vacuum lines.

Boost control will likely NOT be provided by the Boxster 7.8DME unless somehow you can pin/wire it into the 986 setup or if the 996TT DME (DME Version?) communicates with the Boxster body/immobilizer. (it's VERY likely that it will with as much as these cars share).

Aftermarket boost control is easy, just engineer in a fail safe for over-boost and you'll be good.

From there, it's simple plumbing. Fuel pump from a TT (if they aren't all 040 pumps?). Fab fuel lines, or convert from the boxster.

Turbos and headers/manifolds likely to not even come close to fitting. It's worth a try. They should be pretty simple to adapt. Most oil lines to/from the turbos are AN fittings, so adapter lines would be easy to fabricate. You'll have to be very creative to fit intercoolers and headers in the narrow body.

Physical fitment: wost case, you lose the trunk. Best case, you are able to simple notch the trunk. I'd plan on having to fabricate/build an oil tank for the dry-sump. Easy stuff, but very time consuming.

Transmission: I understand it doesn't bolt up. An adapter plate could be fabricated OR cut 2" of each transmission and build an adapter/weld it together. Or, simply buy the TT 6 speed transmission. Any flavor could work, just convert it to 2wd. Cost: $4-7k.

Coolant system: There's no way the stock cooling system will keep up with the TT. Solution: TT front end. Fenders, bumper and radiators will likely do it. Maybe simply bumper and radiators.

AC/PS. Just have to adapt this stuff. It might bolt in, might not. I've not compared the two. Either way, with correct lines, it should be easy to fit all this together.

So, when it's done? Will it be expensive? Very likely, especially if you are paying someone 80-150/hr to figure it out. For the first one, I can see this being a 150-200 hour project without blinking. After it's all figured out, probably can be done in 100 hours. However, if doing it yourself and properly set up with supporting resources? Who knows, creativity will be the biggest cost savings.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 AM
lobo1186 is infamous around these partslobo1186 is infamous around these partslobo1186 is infamous around these parts
actually what you are proposing is not very difficult at all. there have been many x51 motors put into boxsters (read 986) because it has similar electronics. over at 986forum there are several members with this done.

the reason why it would be difficult on a cayman is that it is a 987 and different computer setup. but generally speaking going from 996 motors to a 986 is very doable and the best bang for your buck bar none.

(just did some searching from what I understand since the 986 runs the 7.8 DME you can flash it for the engine you want (maybe 3.6 996 or x51 or what have you) and add wires for the variocam plus and you are good to go. I beleive the engines bolt right up also. keep in mind those 996 motors are also m96 motors just like the 986 boxster's 3.2 or 2.7. it just has more goodies thats all.)

Last edited by lobo1186; 08-29-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by switchface
I guess I have to ask myself what I really want in a DD (considering Cayman S, b8 S4, S5, or C63).
Yes, you need to know what you want.

Rear wheel drive offers more driver input into what the car does and exhibits better control of over or understeer. Steering into and out of a bend can be changed easier. This make them more fun and rewarding, however what you do with your feet are more likely to get you into trouble.

Best way to find out is take a driving course like the one that Porsche offers. You will find that you will find driving any car afterword more fun anyway and make you a safer driver. I would also bet that you will want to make the leap.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:47 PM
silver nismo is infamous around these parts
I have the goods for this project

I have every thing that needs to get this project done, and yes for me its the cheapest ever, cause all the goods that i have are bought through time and finally I'm ready.. but i need a link to some project done or pics or any thing that could show some stuff about it...

hear is what i have:

996 block
gear box and every thing to go on the block as in from a 2004 GT2

so in other words i can get my engine turbos and clutch, ECU all to work and simply start out side the car.. the simple question is will all of this fit in a boxster 2002, and if yes can any one be generous enough to post some links plz.. thank you very much.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 PM
I recommend asking this question maybe on 986forum.com there are several members that do such conversions.

I do not think you will be able to put the motor AND tranny in the boxster. from what I understand you would use the 986 tranny. but you can check that.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:02 AM
silver nismo is infamous around these parts
Thanks a lot for the input, i will post a thread and search there see if they came up with anything, I have to make a dissuasion asap because there is a 986 shell in good condition for dirt cheap and i don't want to miss it