Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever put a 997/996tt engine in a cayman s before?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Matthewjoon is infamous around these parts
Has anyone ever put a 997/996tt engine in a cayman s before?

Has anyone on this forum or has anyone that you know put a 997tt/996tt engine in a cayman s before . I always have been thinking of that it seems liek such a great idea if it can be done at a reasonable cost . What i love about those engines is the torque that can be produced at such low rpms. Thats what makes those cars such a blast in my opinion. I only got a ride in a 997tt once , but the torque that slammed be in the back of the seat has never been felt in any other car ive been in since . Its epic. TPC would be a cool option but the issue is at most it produces 350 - 400 torque and i dont feel thats enough for me . The hp's there but the torque really isnt. Any ideas anyone? . If the cayman s had a few suspension mods and a 997/996tt engine in it , i dare say it would be one of the most phenomenal cars on the road .

Old 03-13-2010, 09:18 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
In my searches, I have yet to see anyone retrofit a TT motor in a CS. Doesn't mean it hasn't been done; just haven't seen it. I do believe TPC did a turbo on an X51 swap though. I think TPC also was testing a bored out 3.7L turbo. Might be worth a call to them to see if they can accomplish your goals.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor
IMA Motorsport is infamous around these partsIMA Motorsport is infamous around these parts
Cool Torque

Matthew

I am going to jump in for a moment. Doing the conversion to a 996 997 TT engine I do not think there would be anything reasonable about it. For starters the electrical system is very different, a lot of time could be spent there so all ecus in car are happy. Second is the trans. Cayman trans is not going to bolt on to a turbo engine. What then, GT3 or GT2 trans? More money.

If you are a torque junkie, simply lower the compression on your engine build the block correctly with better parts and run more boost. If you use a good turbo or turbos( i would do twins myself) it can make all the boost by 2200 RPM and still rev out to 7000. Now that would be a major kick IMO and no where near the expense you proposed initially. Good luck!!

Let me know if we can help.

respectfully

Originally Posted by Matthewjoon
Has anyone on this forum or has anyone that you know put a 997tt/996tt engine in a cayman s before . I always have been thinking of that it seems liek such a great idea if it can be done at a reasonable cost . What i love about those engines is the torque that can be produced at such low rpms. Thats what makes those cars such a blast in my opinion. I only got a ride in a 997tt once , but the torque that slammed be in the back of the seat has never been felt in any other car ive been in since . Its epic. TPC would be a cool option but the issue is at most it produces 350 - 400 torque and i dont feel thats enough for me . The hp's there but the torque really isnt. Any ideas anyone? . If the cayman s had a few suspension mods and a 997/996tt engine in it , i dare say it would be one of the most phenomenal cars on the road .

Old 03-15-2010, 01:09 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Josh how refined and tested is the Cayman turbo system?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:09 PM
wwjd is infamous around these parts
9ff put 997.1 tt engine in cayman, and they use gt2 gearbox. It produces more than 700hp easily by using regular gas, can go faster than 330km.
It's quite common in Asia. As the price, it doesn't make sense to do it in the US market though.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Matthewjoon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IMA Motorsport
Matthew

I am going to jump in for a moment. Doing the conversion to a 996 997 TT engine I do not think there would be anything reasonable about it. For starters the electrical system is very different, a lot of time could be spent there so all ecus in car are happy. Second is the trans. Cayman trans is not going to bolt on to a turbo engine. What then, GT3 or GT2 trans? More money.

If you are a torque junkie, simply lower the compression on your engine build the block correctly with better parts and run more boost. If you use a good turbo or turbos( i would do twins myself) it can make all the boost by 2200 RPM and still rev out to 7000. Now that would be a major kick IMO and no where near the expense you proposed initially. Good luck!!

Let me know if we can help.

respectfully
Sounds great how would i go about that though? What parts do i need to rebuild the engine block and lower the compression . So this would essentially change the cayman s to more of a low revving engine ( which is what i truly truly truly want ) . I love the kick in the pants u get down low on the rpm band .

Old 03-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Former Vendor
IMA Motorsport is infamous around these partsIMA Motorsport is infamous around these parts
PoV

Matt:

Sorry for delay. I was busy the past few days and fell asleep last night after getting home from along day at work. As to your question. If you wanted to do the engine over for lower compression, you can would need to get pistons, rods, updated IMS and a few other things. I am particular to Carrillo rods and CP pistons. At that point you can run more boost and using the turbos that I am using in our twin turbo kit the engine will make full boost in or before 2500
Rpm. If you want to discuss further PM. I like what you are thinking.

Cheers

Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Josh@TPCRACING
The TPCRacing Cayman/Boxster Turbo Kit is a very refined system. Since its introduction we've sold about 100 kits worldwide.

Just look at the how smooth the dyno chart is compared with the stock 997Turbo. There are no sudden dips or surges in the power. It simply builds in a very smooth and linier fashion all the way to redline. However, don't take my word on it. Many of our Cayman Turbo customers are members here on 6-speed. Ask them...they'll give you all the info you want!
Josh,
If it's more torque they want, you guys could always finish developing the 3.7 liter turbo conversion for the Cayman. Any chance of that happening one day?

Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Josh,
Thanks for the update. I had wondered what had happened to the 3.7. Last I heard it was on the back burner. I did not know it had not proven to be cost effective. Guess I'll stick with the 3.4 when the time comes.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by eclou
Josh how refined and tested is the Cayman turbo system?
The TPC system is super smooth. Below 3,000RPM it drives like any other Cayman. For daily driving you would not even notice that you have a turbo charged car. My wife drives it regulary to work. Put your foot down and the car changes completely above 3,000RPM. My Cayman compared to my 997tt is without a contest the more fun car to drive. Nimble, responsive and wicked fast. In addition the engine, air intake and blow off valve are right behind you - it just sounds unbelievable. The 997tt is a heavy GT compared to the TPC Cayman.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:30 PM
switchface is infamous around these parts
I've been very impressed with what I've seen so far regarding the TPC turbo for the Cayman S. Itmerc's Cayman (techinically is it still a Cayman?) is a marvel!

I ask this as having never owned a rear-wheel drive car or a mid-engined car: how 'safe' is the drive in regards to over-steer or losing control? This isn't a knock on the TPC system, more my ignorance to this type of ride. I remember a Youtube clip where the owner made a nice save at a sketchy moment mid turn. I've never had anything like this in my s4...probably due to the fact that I have awd and much less power. Nevertheless, I feel like I always have a safety net protecting me. Anyone offer their opinion?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
I guess you talk about my vid in my signature. Had I been in a 911 I would have eaten the ditch. Once the rear comes around in a 911 you have to be "really" good to catch it. I am not that good. That vid was taken just after the first snow fall in DC last winter. It was about 38 degrees, cold tires and the road was damp. The mid engine platform of the Cayman is way better balanced and a lot more forgiving compared to the rear engine design of the 911 platform. I would never have dared entering that turn this fast in a 911.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:52 AM
switchface is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Schwabe
I guess you talk about my vid in my signature. Had I been in a 911 I would have eaten the ditch. Once the rear comes around in a 911 you have to be "really" good to catch it. I am not that good. That vid was taken just after the first snow fall in DC last winter. It was about 38 degrees, cold tires and the road was damp. The mid engine platform of the Cayman is way better balanced and a lot more forgiving compared to the rear engine design of the 911 platform. I would never have dared entering that turn this fast in a 911.
Yup, it was your vid. Nice save.

Originally Posted by Josh@TPCRACING
Switchface,

Don't worry, no offense taken. Actually, our Cayman Turbo Kit will not have any effect on the vehicle's overall balance. Though with over 400whp, it does become much easier to make mistake than with a less powerful car.

From the factory, the Cayman is one the most well balanced cars ever made. This is a car that is easy and fun to drive fast and definitely inspires driver confidence. However, there are some improvements that can be made. If you intend to do any autox/DE/club races/etc. you would want to look at doing a Sway Bar upgrade. This is what is really going to affect the balance of your vehicle the most; and will determine whether your car exhibits understeer/oversteer at turn entry, middle, and exit.

Josh Bers
TPCRacing
I'm not looking for a track car, I'm looking for a daily driver. I'm used to the comfort the s4 provides and enjoy the stability that comes with the power (not saying I have close the power a TPC Cayman has!).

Having never owned a rwd car, let alone anything mid engined, it was more of a question of overall balance and feel of high powered rwd car. I'm sure there are many more tail happy rides; but, my current car would never have done that. I guess I have to ask myself what I really want in a DD (considering Cayman S, b8 S4, S5, or C63).

Josh, anything new to report with Itmerc's car? I probably have 50 photos saved on my comp of that beauty.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:17 AM
You can't really beat the S5 for a DD, V8 sound and interior refinement for $60K.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Venom is infamous around these parts
After all the Cayman hype with mid-engine balance/handling, I think it's time for Porsche to make a mid engine 911. I bet 911 production would ramp up significantly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever put a 997/996tt engine in a cayman s before?