Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ipod integration ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Savetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud of
ipod integration ???

hey guys, I was seraching but I did not find anything recent about this, so I thought I might as well ask

what are you guys using to intergrate your ipod to your stock radio?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:40 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
I'm using the "Canada Drive Safe" FM modulator...

cheap and I'm relatively satisfied w/ it...

Would prefer to have something that I could "lock the iPod away" with, but I don't want to spend the $ on a real solution.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Savetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud of
I also have a FM transmiter or whatever they are called but I want something that would allow me to control the ipod from the radio

Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 PM
dave4tide is infamous around these parts
I installed a Gateway 500, FM modulators didn't work for me.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:04 PM
is that cheapest product out there? I mean, for a little over 500 you can get an new nav unit with bluetooth, ipod integration and all that :\

Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Former Vendor
Gary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond repute
Try Eric @ Bumper Plugs, he has nice iPod integration solutions provided with outstanding service and he's a long time respected 6Speed Sponsor.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
I use the Alpine DPR RDS-1 in my 2008 with Bose. It is an FM modulator, but uses the antenna as the direct feed to radio (verse the over the air FM modulator they sell for $30 or $40). The Alpine unit has no noise when iPod is playing - it will easily over power local stations if one is on one of the 4 (IIRC) presets - I know because there is a radio station here that uses 88.9 freq, but only in middle of night.

It'll charge your ipod, With newer generation ipods, it will display the album, artist & song info through the radio & on console - like radio station RDS. The unit runs $99 with free ship from amazon and you need to go to ebay to buy a antenna adapter for $15. Easy DIY project. HTH.

Last edited by lithium1330; 03-29-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 PM
thanks for the info

Old 03-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 PM
sjlee001 is infamous around these parts
I'm in the middle of a iPhone integration, it's a little bit different....

Instead of using one of the weak "iPod" FM transmitter (I think less than 100mW) with a 3 foot range, I bought an "industrial" 500mW FM transmitter. I plugged it in at home and still "barely" picked up a signal a mile away. I also bought a Belkin Music Receiver so I can transmit the audio signal to the FM transmitter through BT. I'm powering the FM transmitter with a 12v-to-12v Meanwell power supply to get clean power to the FM transmitter. I've taken apart a cigarette lighter USB power source to convert the 12v from the Meanwell to the Belkin. I'm still working on the wiring (trying to get everything cleanly routed) and going to put the entire system where the factory CD changer usually goes.

Total cost is a bit high, $85 for the FM transmitter, $40 for the Belkin BT, and $40 for the Meanwell, but a lot less than the Denison, sounds just as good as the regular radio, and no wires to the stereo....