Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any lap times for the new spyder out there yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Are there any lap times for the new spyder out there yet?

Just curious. I looked around online and haven't been able to come up with anything.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
like nurburgring? or US circuit? We are taking ours to the glen and VIR in the next month or so.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
like nurburgring? or US circuit? We are taking ours to the glen and VIR in the next month or so.
Casey, is this with your magnificent turbo bolted on, or are you getting a baseline before fitting one to it?

Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
nope, she is still stock.. working on baselining first.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Anywhere is okay. I'd like to see a comparison vs a standard boxster S. I was running Barber last week and one of my instructors said they had a spyder out there and it was running similar times to a new GT3. I guess its possible on a short track with short straights. I'm considering dumping the 996 and getting either a used 07 GT3 or a sypder. I don't want to get in a car that turns slower times than what I have now though

Old 05-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
Here you go:
http://www.fastestlaps.com/track50.html

For reference this is a tight track that is ideal for a Boxster with top speeds around 110 mph. A 1:27 on street tires is a quick lap. The BSX track record here is 1:30. If you prefer tight technical tracks the Spyder is tough to beat. If you run HP tracks like Sebring and Daytona a GT3 will be better suited to your needs. Good hunting!

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 05-30-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Anywhere is okay. I'd like to see a comparison vs a standard boxster S. I was running Barber last week and one of my instructors said they had a spyder out there and it was running similar times to a new GT3. I guess its possible on a short track with short straights. I'm considering dumping the 996 and getting either a used 07 GT3 or a sypder. I don't want to get in a car that turns slower times than what I have now though
it is pretty fast, and no doubt can put the power down through the turns... however it is down 65whp to a GT3... however it weighs 300 lbs less... We will have fun finding out Now, couple it with 450whp and you will have a different story.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
Here you go:
http://www.fastestlaps.com/track50.html

For reference this is a tight track that is ideal for a Boxster with top speeds around 110 mph. A 1:27 on street tires is a quick lap. The BSX track record here is 1:30. If you prefer tight technical tracks the Spyder is tough to beat. If you run HP tracks like Sebring and Daytona a GT3 will be better suited to your needs. Good hunting!
Since Sebring and Daytona are my home tracks, I guess I should pass on the Spyder. I love the way it looks though. The spyder is a great looking car!

Old 05-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
it is pretty fast, and no doubt can put the power down through the turns... however it is down 65whp to a GT3... however it weighs 300 lbs less... We will have fun finding out Now, couple it with 450whp and you will have a different story.
65 rwhp is a lot of power. Especially when GT3's are typically under rated, have a better suspension, and a stiffer chassis.

I want to buy a spyder, but I'd be pissed if I was getting smoked coming out of 16 at Sebring.

I REFUSE to mod my next car Or at least to the extent that I did this one. Not that I complaining. I've had 6 great years with it and the car's been a blast. However, I'd rather have a car that I could mildly tweak than have to transform it.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Former Vendor
i was comparing whp..... our spyder, stock put 300 down on our dyno. a normal unmodified gt3 makes 365 on our dyno. you should at least drive a normal S around the track first to see how it feels, quite a lot easier than a 911.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Sounds like you had a ringer of a Spyder and a dog of a GT3 Per Porsche, the engine HP on a Spyder is 320. I've owned a Boxster previously and have run the latest Boxsters out at the Porsche school at Barber. Great cars. Just a little anemic in the HP department compared to a 911.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:35 PM
lobo1186 is infamous around these partslobo1186 is infamous around these partslobo1186 is infamous around these parts
when you say 911 im sure you mean top of the line versions such as 911 turbo or gt3 or better. seeing as the spyder would take any lesser variant quite handily.

seems to me a spyder mated with the components it was destined to have IE turbo etc... would be a match for anything currently and previously porsche save the GT and the new GT2RS

is that statement too bold?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
Since Sebring and Daytona are my home tracks, I guess I should pass on the Spyder. I love the way it looks though. The spyder is a great looking car!
Yep. The Spyder performance is knocking on the door of the Audi R8 (414hp) so it is certainly no slouch. It will probably turn faster laps than a 997C2 on most tracks. The Spyder will be faster in the corners, the GT3 will be faster on the straights. Pick your poison. If I regularly ran Daytona I probably would probably insist on a solid roof, full cage, and fire suppression. Maybe a Cup Car is in your future .

Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor
Sounds like you had a ringer of a Spyder and a dog of a GT3 Per Porsche, the engine HP on a Spyder is 320. I've owned a Boxster previously and have run the latest Boxsters out at the Porsche school at Barber. Great cars. Just a little anemic in the HP department compared to a 911.
Talking Wheel HP, not BHP.

A 3.4L cayman.2 motor puts down 300 and a 3.6L 997.1 gt3 or rs makes 365-370WHP...

so, is the cayman underrated or is the gt3 overrated?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
Yep. The Spyder performance is knocking on the door of the Audi R8 (414hp) so it is certainly no slouch. It will probably turn faster laps than a 997C2 on most tracks. The Spyder will be faster in the corners, the GT3 will be faster on the straights. Pick your poison. If I regularly ran Daytona I probably would probably insist on a solid roof, full cage, and fire suppression. Maybe a Cup Car is in your future .
I would like to see the spyder lap times on big track as opposed to an overgrown autox course

I've run with R8's and they haul ***. That car is no joke. I would be shocked to see a spyder hang with an R8. I know I had difficulty staying within more than 2 seconds behind an R8 at Sebring recently.

Daytona is a relatively safe track. I run a roll bar with harnesses. Just watch your tire pressures and don't get silly with the speed on the oval sections.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are there any lap times for the new spyder out there yet?