Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 cayman S prices?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 PM
pcar993 is infamous around these parts
2006 cayman S prices?

How much are they going for these days? Might be in the market for a used one. Is there any reason to go for another year isntead of 2006? Im not sure of what changes the newer models have gone thru.... Any tips would be appreciated. I was also looking at the 2006 Z4M coupe.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:15 AM
driver8 is infamous around these parts
A 2006 Cayman S depending on miles will range from $35K to mid $40's for a good example. There are not much in the way of changes for 06-08. In 09 they went to DFI motors with another 25 hp and some minor cosmetic changes like LED tail lights.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Scott 06 CS is infamous around these parts
I just picked up an 06 CS with under 15k in great shape for $36k in Nevada (private party). Original SRP was $74k.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 PM
pcar993 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Scott 06 CS
I just picked up an 06 CS with under 15k in great shape for $36k in Nevada (private party). Original SRP was $74k.
Thanks! And Great deal! Enjoy.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:33 AM
TheSt|G has a spectacular aura aboutTheSt|G has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by driver8
A 2006 Cayman S depending on miles will range from $35K to mid $40's for a good example. There are not much in the way of changes for 06-08. In 09 they went to DFI motors with another 25 hp and some minor cosmetic changes like LED tail lights.
Also got the option of Xenons, LSD, PDK, Nav(I think) and some other things.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 AM
CMags is infamous around these parts
For refrence, I just picked up an 07 CPO CS 30k mi loaded w/ perf package, sport buckets, SC, etc for 37k.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Nr297 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Also got the option of Xenons, LSD, PDK, Nav(I think) and some other things.
The '09 changes: The xenon headlamp option now includes directional headlamps (not just auto-leveling), PDK rather than tiptronic, NAV went from PCM 2.1 to 3.0 (touchscreen, less buttons, higher resolution, larger screen and, from what I hear, generally nicer), suspension was retuned for a better overall ride and response, brakes are improved (per Porsche), LED tail lamps, variable demand oil pump is more efficient and cures some starvation issues at high-g situations (if you track your car, this might be important). The engine is DFI with a higher redline and +25hp, +17lb-ft and somewhat more fuel efficient.

That said, I just found a nice '08 and went with that (and waiting for it to ship to me). I figured having not driven an '09+ yet, I'd hopefully not know the difference.

As was mentioned, virtually nothing changed between '06-'08. Find a good car from any of those years and you should be happy. If having the balance of a factory warranty is of any value to you, then most '06s will have little or nothing of warranty left, unless they're CPO'd.

Price-wise, it will depend somewhat on mileage and equipment as well as whether you're shopping dealers or private parties. Up here near Seattle where I am, there's not much used inventory in Caymans, so prices tend to be higher, especially when dealers get them. But overall, a really well-equipped CS (sport chrono, pasm, nav, upgraded seats, etc.) with relatively low miles can be had even at dealers for the low $40s for a CPO '07 or '08. Slightly lower for an '06 and it can go past $50K if it's a really low mile, special edition, or "leftover" '08 (there's a handful of those still floating around).

Good luck in your search, pcar993.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
pcar993

I would personally stay away fron the 06 due to the oil sump issue .
I dont know if Porsche did something to correct this in 07 and 08 but all the cars I read about having the issue seem to be 06 models .Especially if you track your car . I was reading this post by sixisenuff and I think he nailed it right on .

My take, from reading quite a lot about the Gen 1 987s is that they are quite reliable for most uses. The exception would be lots of DEs with R tires and modded suspensions where lateral G loading is very high very often. The Vapor-Oil Separator on these cars isn't quite up to certain combinations of hard turns. The result can be a lot of smoke out the tailpipe and some really fast oil consumption. In the heat of a track day, one doesn't want to top up oil every session, but if you get smoke, you need to. Letting the level go down while continuing to run hard will result in oil starvation and engine failures.

The Gen 2 engine has a much better oil pickup system and just never pumps air or runs dry. The VOS is also improved, I think. The new Gen2 CaymanSpec racers are proving to be extremely durable and there was a Porsche factory driver out at this R/A Fall DE with a bone stock Gen 2 he'd been all over the country with. He drove every session in that car and drove it hard. No smoke, no problems.

Another issue with Gen 1 997s ridden very hard is that the power steering pumps can get too hot and melt plastic parts. This results in leaks that result in more heat that results in failure of the pump. This is also addressed in the Gen 2 cars.

I've put a Motorsport VOS on my car and an extended oil sump. For the power steering, I've installed an underdrive pulley and I'm scheduling an install of a trick power steering oil cooler as well before driving season starts here in Chicago. I want the car to be as bullet-proof as possible before any hard flogging goes on in hot weather. I'm generally a spring/fall DE fan anyway and go out on a two wheeled BMW during the summer.

Again, if you're driving your Gen 1 997 with stock tires and suspension, even at the track, you probably won't generate the sort of forces that can make these failures happen. The power steering would be the only issue to concern yourself with and an underdrive pulley will probably suffice to cure that. It also gives the car better response due to less drag on the engine. You can feel the difference.

Another good idea is to avoid driving near red-line on long caroselle type corners, just upshift a gear. It took me a couple laps at R/A to remember after all these years of doing their carosselle in 3rd, but eventually I started to build the habit. It makes zero difference in lap time because you're not accelerating there.